PDA

View Full Version : PayPal scam emails

RytM1
07-18-2003, 04:08 AM
I just received this email today, asking to verify my information (it even had a link to PayPal on it). Seeing that my user ID wasn't capitalized correctly, I called PayPal. They advised that it was in fact a hoax, and to [B]not submit[B] any information asked for. The email has been forwarded to PayPal.

Subj: URGENT: PayPal Notice!
Date: 7/18/2003 9:42:29 AM Central Daylight Time
To: Rytm1@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear PayPal Customer

This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months.

Please confirm your email address and account information by logging in to your PayPal account using the form below:

Email Address:
Password:
Full Name:

This notification expires September 3, 2003

Thanks for using PayPal!

This PayPal notification was sent to your mailbox. Your PayPal account is set up to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and product updates when you create your account. To modify your notification preferences and unsubscribe, go to https://www.paypal.com/PREFS-NOTI and log in to your account. Changes to your preferences may take several days to be reflected in our mailings. Replies to this email will not be processed.

Copyright© 2002 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

X-AOL-IP:

QuadTrix6
07-18-2003, 02:19 PM
thanks

DREWS400EX
07-18-2003, 03:01 PM
I've got that email 2 times in the last 3 days:mad:
I emailed it to paypal and they responded within 2 min. saying they will clear it up.

250rpilot
07-18-2003, 03:21 PM
i got that email also....i filled it all out, then i thought "a few weeks ago something like this was on my local news".... so i deleted all my info right before i hit the submit button, and then i changed my password just in case.

07-19-2003, 06:56 PM
Got one or two of those emails too.

Funny thing was that I didnt even have a paypal account at the time :) dumb arses.

got to wonder how many people sent the info :eek2:

RytM1
07-20-2003, 12:54 AM
True, I passed the info along to a friend of mine who has a PayPal account. She said she probably would have thought nothing of it and sent the info because she actually hasn't used it for a while, like the email said.

Here is the latest response from PayPal:

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

Thank you for bringing this suspicious email to our attention. We can confirm that the email you received; was not sent to you by PayPal. The website linked to this email is not a registered URL authorized or used by PayPal. We are currently investigating this incident fully. Please do not enter any personal or financial information into this website.

07-20-2003, 02:17 AM
for get paypal ...use US postal money orders(they are guaranteed) with registered letters ..IMO its the safest

Yellow Nuts
07-20-2003, 05:20 AM
last week i got that email like 3-4 times i jes ignored and deleted tho lol