PDA

View Full Version : Pred*VS*New Yammy

xXx*PREDATOR*xXx
07-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Well I will be the first to bring this thread to convo...or maybe I just didn't see it...Well I hear the the Yammy is a bad *** bike but I love my Predator...Right now all around which is the better bike..and what are the known Pro's and Con's on each bike?

danyeo
07-18-2003, 02:51 AM
Well since you own the Pred you can tell us about the Pro's and Con's. But from the numbers the biggest advantage is for the YFZ in the weight department. 415lbs vs 350lbs dry. I think the HP numbers are pretty close.

WyoDuner
07-18-2003, 05:18 AM
The 450 is a little on the small side for my liking but I'ma duner and not a mxer - what the 450 was intended for. The 450 makes much more power. Never rode a predator but spend a few minutes on a 450 in the dunes and rode with the guy for 3 days straight and got to see what it can do. It is very impressive. I though it should be a little wider too, BTW.

QuadJunkies
07-21-2003, 04:18 AM
I too own a predator,and Im sure your gonna hear alot of "my quad smoked his quad"But I too seen several of them las twk end atthe dunes,and they flat out haul butt!! I hate to say it ,but they do!:eek2: My ole man rides pretty darn good, and knows his quad pretty well, and this thing in a drag beat him everytime:grr: . the 450 is sooo light !!!!Im still not convinced enough to buy one,I think I would still get amother Predator before the Yami(Ive never been to big of a Yami fan) or hlod out for HOnda.But the 40 is truly a fast running quad....Now, wait until its modded a bit....IT s gonna fly...........Now when I get that new CDI, I would like to see it race against one again......;)

Merriman
07-21-2003, 06:51 AM
I raced my bone stock YFZ 450 against a predator with a pipe, and beat him everytime by 1-2 bike lengths in a 100 yard drag.

stiffy
07-21-2003, 06:54 AM
I here they (YZF) are having problems w/ the lower a-arms on bluetraxx there are alot of pic's with them all bent up.

WyoDuner
07-23-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by stiffy
I here they (YZF) are having problems w/ the lower a-arms on bluetraxx there are alot of pic's with them all bent up.

A lot of pics on Bluetraxx huh??? I saw 1 pic of a bent a-arm from a guy that crashed or lkanded wrong off a jump. Is there more I'm missing???

Let's not get carried away, OK?

seven
07-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I too own a predator,and Im sure your gonna hear alot of "my quad smoked his quad"But I too seen several of them las twk end atthe dunes,and they flat out haul butt!! I hate to say it ,but they do!:eek2: My ole man rides pretty darn good, and knows his quad pretty well, and this thing in a drag beat him everytime:grr: . the 450 is sooo light !!!!Im still not convinced enough to buy one,I think I would still get amother Predator before the Yami(Ive never been to big of a Yami fan) or hlod out for HOnda.But the 40 is truly a fast running quad....Now, wait until its modded a bit....IT s gonna fly...........Now when I get that new CDI, I would like to see it race against one again......;)
Oh, if somebody let you ride one I bet you would be down there buying one and trading in your 300ex, Uh i Mean 400ex.:D

QuadJunkies
07-23-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by seven
Oh, if somebody let you ride one I bet you would be down there buying one and trading in your 300ex, Uh i Mean 400ex.:D no way.......Im willing to wait and see what Honda has first;)

cjpoole1
07-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by seven
Oh, if somebody let you ride one I bet you would be down there buying one and trading in your 300ex, Uh i Mean 400ex.:D
I offered to let her come ride mine:D
http://bxtrememotorsports.com/yzf/sprmtop.jpg

CHAUNCY
07-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by stiffy

Can you post a link ??? I have only seen one pic of a bent lower a-arm but it was posted on different sites:ermm:

cjpoole1
07-24-2003, 04:42 PM
I too have only seen the one pic

remlapr
07-24-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

QJ - Did the YZF have a pipe on it? If it was stock I would be surprised to hear that it was beating your predator with the mods you guys have. Was there any other factors? Rider weight, traction?

QuadJunkies
07-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
QJ - Did the YZF have a pipe on it? If it was stock I would be surprised to hear that it was beating your predator with the mods you guys have. Was there any other factors? Rider weight, traction? I just found out for the guy( coincidently ran into him at atvconnection,he may have a video clip to send me of that drag race,ill ask him);) I know he told me he got one of my 400ex climbing.... His air lid was taken off, and baffle out and has since done a cam mod to it.In the drag ,he was a smalll kid, I would say 60-75 lb. difference in weightand baldies on the front for floatation..Troy was so shocked he asked the kid when we were at choke cherry(for those who dont know choke,its a really steep dune at St. Anthonys) to dbl up and go up, and it still soared...:eek2: I dont think by any means he was a better ride, just lighter weight in the drag,Maybe a bit more set up.So I dunno, I know the Predaotr weak point is that stupid rev limiter:mad: the bottom end just bites, but the mid range is very good......anyone know what the new 450 revs out at? We all could have used some re-jetting for that trip also, we were riding in 100dg weather and dbl the elevation wre used to.But no excuses.........That 450 is damn fast......

Merriman
07-25-2003, 05:09 AM
the YFZ revs out at 10,750 RPMs. Yeah that is screaming for a 4-stroke:eek2:

QuadJunkies
07-25-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Merriman
the YFZ revs out at 10,750 RPMs. Yeah that is screaming for a 4-stroke:eek2: ahhhhhh..I had a sneaky feeling that it taps out higher....Well, my PRedaotr will give it a run for its money when the CDI box gets here and my new tires......:D

QuadJunkies
07-25-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Merriman
the YFZ revs out at 10,750 RPMs. Yeah that is screaming for a 4-stroke:eek2: ahhhhhh..I had a sneaky feeling that it taps out higher....Well, my PRedaotr will give it a run for its money when the CDI box gets here and my new tires......:D

01raptor
07-25-2003, 05:36 AM
The 450 motor is designed to rev more like a 2-stroke than a 4. When tis motor is stock it is already putting out great HP #'s. Whith the reduced weight and the GYTR products avail. this bike will be very hard to beat. Has anyone taken a look at the size of the stock header pipe? It's huge! When people start going into this motor with some cam, timing, and up the already high compression ratio these things will make scary HP. To small for me though and not comfortable enough to dune all day.:eek2:

QuadJunkies
07-25-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by 01raptor
The 450 motor is designed to rev more like a 2-stroke than a 4. When tis motor is stock it is already putting out great HP #'s. Whith the reduced weight and the GYTR products avail. this bike will be very hard to beat. Has anyone taken a look at the size of the stock header pipe? It's huge! When people start going into this motor with some cam, timing, and up the already high compression ratio these things will make scary HP. To small for me though and not comfortable enough to dune all day.:eek2: I havea pic of the one at the MX track,yes........It does have a large headpipe. thats one thing I noticed about the Predaotr as well howlarge it as,even our trinity is pretty good sized, but Trinity got smart and made there pipe just a hiar smaller rather than Too big.... I 3ish I could head up to St. A's and ride this guys :( ....But then again.maybe its best I dont .I might fall in love......:p

01raptor
07-25-2003, 06:22 AM
I have not ridden even a stock one just have a couple friends that just bought them.They love them. All I have heard is good stuff (accept for the a-arm thing). Anybody can bend a-arms either in a crash or crazy jumping. I don't believe it is a factory problem just a couple people getting a little carried away and bending them. The lower gull wing arms are steel and very strong :D

Lehr 110
07-28-2003, 01:34 PM
no flame intended all i have to say is no predator should be able to compete or compare with any 450

i rode the wheels off on my 450 and i was beating $20,000+ CRF 450 quads and YZF440s on the stock 450. Sorry but i don't see how predator thinks they made a race worthy quad.:rolleyes2

Fred55
07-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Lehr 110
no flame intended all i have to say is no predator should be able to compete or compare with any 450

i rode the wheels off on my 450 and i was beating $20,000+ CRF 450 quads and YZF440s on the stock 450. Sorry but i don't see how predator thinks they made a race worthy quad.:rolleyes2

Have you ever ridden one?

Didnt think so.....

If you have you wouldnt be saying that.

Lehr 110
07-28-2003, 03:44 PM
fine don't take my opinion

QuadJunkies
07-28-2003, 03:54 PM

i rode the wheels off on my 450 and i was beating $20,000+ CRF 450 quads and YZF440s on the stock 450. Sorry but i don't see how predator thinks they made a race worthy quad.:rolleyes2 See,thats the beauty of all the choices in quads....One may think a quad is a POS or,just may not suit there needs,where as to another,may totally feel the quad fits and feels different and performs more to there needs...I personally think the Predator IS a great racing bike andwhen the races rolearound..............Ill be posting the pics to prove it......:D Its ALL is preference and yes.we all do have rights to opinion and respect your thoughts on it........;)

Lehr 110
07-28-2003, 04:04 PM
i have only seen ONE gu that can say the predator is race ready..that is rob arnold who runs in the oprn pro am on the predator..he makes it run good but it is still nothign compared to the 450

QuadJunkies
07-28-2003, 04:52 PM
i have only seen ONE gu that can say the predator is race ready..that is rob arnold who runs in the oprn pro am on the predator..he makes it run good but it is still nothing compared to the 450 Thats because you cant really comapre ANY quad to a 450...alot of whats out there is set up different so your comparing apples to oranges I guess.....:ermm:

danyeo
07-29-2003, 02:41 AM

Just because Yamaha came out with a race ready quad, FINALLY, it doesn't diminish or take away from the fact that the Pred or Cannondales were race ready.
Now if Honda ever comes out with something that is a step ahead of the YFZ would it be fair to come on here and question how Yamaha ever thought they had anything race ready.

Lehr 110
07-29-2003, 03:47 AM
i know i can't wait for the honda

i believe they will be better

cjpoole1
07-29-2003, 06:15 AM
i have only seen ONE gu that can say the predator is race ready..that is rob arnold who runs in the oprn pro am on the predator..he makes it run good but it is still nothign compared to the 450
I think Daryll Rath could also

Lehr 110
07-29-2003, 06:45 AM
good point i forgot about him

phatswinn
07-31-2003, 04:33 PM
i think there all better than mine, but i still love my 300 because it just feels right to me, it IS all preference, alot of people wont touch a race quad they only like utility quads, it doesent make them better or worse it means they like it better

07-31-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by cjpoole1
I offered to let her come ride mine:D
http://bxtrememotorsports.com/yzf/sprmtop.jpg can i come ride yours? im in bellevue tennessee right outside of dickson....ill bring my ex too.

Predator38
08-01-2003, 04:03 AM
I know Rob he works at the shop where I bought my Pred...at all the local tracks nothin' can touch him not even the new yammy...I dont think he's to impressed with it....he will be moving up next year to the pro level with the new 440 kit....anyway thats my 2 cents...lol....no matter what ya ride it's all good........:D

Rapture Rules
08-02-2003, 02:06 AM
The YFZ was beating my Piped Raptor, two Preditors, a moded Banshee, there was a big weight difference between him and all of us but he was handing our asses to us on a silver platter, the moded banshee ran with it and my brothers piped YZ 250. That bick is wicked fast. It will be interesting to see what Honda comes out with.

QuadJunkies
08-02-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Rapture Rules
The YFZ was beating my Piped Raptor, two Preditors, a moded Banshee, there was a big weight difference between him and all of us but he was handing our asses to us on a silver platter, the moded banshee ran with it and my brothers piped YZ 250. That bick is wicked fast. It will be interesting to see what Honda comes out with. Hey Ryan/Wanna go riding tomorrow?? We are suppose to meet up with a few ladies who will race this winter flattrack Ive never met either of them so will be a goos day of riding and the temps are gonna be cooler as well.Let me know.

Plante400
08-02-2003, 01:43 PM
Yamahas 450 yfz dirtbike motor is the same exact motor in teh quad they do rev very high i ahve been on a yfz 450 dirtbike has cross between the 2 and 4 stroke sounds,

cjpoole1
08-03-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Plante400
Yamahas 450 yfz dirtbike motor is the same exact motor in teh quad they do rev very high i ahve been on a yfz 450 dirtbike has cross between the 2 and 4 stroke sounds,
Close but its not the exact same motor. Its a combination of the yz and wr 450 motor