PDA

View Full Version : whats with the dunes?

660LE
07-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Hey everyone im from nova scotia, ive never been to the dunes, nor have i seen them, ive heard lots of good things about them. Im just wondering whats with all the hype about the dunes? like how do they work? ive seen people saying stuff about gates an day passes/ whats that about. just curious. thanks.

CHAUNCY
07-17-2003, 02:36 PM
I have only been to the dunes once and tha was for a day. When you drive in you pay for parking for a day and they give you a "day pass". I think the gates might be the fances that are used to block off certain parts of the dunes because of the endangered birds, plants , or whatever else enviromentalists can come up with. Either that or gets like at the entrance of the dunes where you drive in:ermm: I found the dunes less tiring because there was barely any whoops and it was a smooth ride. I liked it:D

lilpoppy
07-17-2003, 03:57 PM
What I find to be the best about the dunes is the fact that you can ride anywhere (you aren't confined to trails) and you can usually get up to top speed whenever you want to. Also it is very forgiving almost like snow. It absorbs a lot of shock when landing or falling off. They other cool thing about it is the fact that the dunes constantly change so every time you go it is a completly different terrain to ride on. For quads it is the best place to ride.

660LE
07-17-2003, 04:03 PM
where is the closest dunes that anyones knows of to nova scotia?!? they sound like a blast to ride

zephead400ex
07-17-2003, 04:09 PM
The dunes are F'n sweet! Possibilities are endless on sand, you can ride where you want, make your own tracks if you know what I mean. I think everyone who has a quad should ride on sand at least once. If it wasnt for the Little Sahara dunes in Oklahoma, I wouldnt own a quad...that is where I am going tomorrow!:macho

Wyoduner has a nice site with good pics...visit the entire page but here is the link to his pics...

http://dunereview.com/photos.htm

peace

WyoDuner
07-18-2003, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the plug zephead!!!

The gate pass thing you mentioned is only for Silver Lake in Michigan. All the dunes inthe Western USA are very open and most are free to ride. Glamis and both Little Saharas (Utah and Oklahoma) have to pay.

The attraction is that the sand is self-smoothing and doesn't get rough like dirt trails. There's no limits to where you can ride and probably the most chalenging terrain is in the dunes. Dunes can form in ways that dirt can't - it's like god created them just for us sand duners to ride on. :)

QuadJunkies
07-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by 660LE
Hey everyone im from nova scotia, ive never been to the dunes, nor have i seen them, ive heard lots of good things about them. Im just wondering whats with all the hype about the dunes? like how do they work? ive seen people saying stuff about gates an day passes/ whats that about. just curious. thanks. Wondering about the hype........I cant really explain it,you just have to try it!!! free flyiong up hills,bowls,drags Its soooooooooooo much fun!!!!You must try it ........You will be hooked:cool: :D

JOEX
07-18-2003, 03:53 PM
The dunes are awesome!!!
Like the others said, it is difficult to describe, you just have to try it;)
I used to be trails only rider, but after a couple of trips to the dunes i've been leaning more to a dunes mostly rider. I still like the trails but the dunes are a whole different experience:)

Most places out here require either a day pass $5-$10 or a campsite fee about $15 if you're camping which is typical.

Joe

brif
07-18-2003, 07:25 PM
I always wondered about the dunes so a couple of years ago me and some friends made the 9hour trek to silverlake sand dunes and we loved it. It's now a yearly thing for us. I can't really explain it but I always want to go back. We hope to make it out west to some of the big dune areas someday. If I could I would probly just ride the dunes.

wilkin250r
07-21-2003, 04:39 PM
If you cannot find any dunes close to you, then make connections with some of the riders here. It's definitely worth a plane ticket to ride dunes for a weekend. I'd be more than happy to take you on one of my weekend trips. There's plenty of room in the trailer, and I even have an extra quad for you to ride so we don't have to ride doubles everywhere. The only thing you would have to pay for is your plane ticket. However, the dunes I ride aren't all that big, you would probably have more fun at some of the larger dunes...

QuadJunkies
07-21-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
If you cannot find any dunes close to you, then make connections with some of the riders here. It's definitely worth a plane ticket to ride dunes for a weekend. I'd be more than happy to take you on one of my weekend trips. There's plenty of room in the trailer, and I even have an extra quad for you to ride so we don't have to ride doubles everywhere. The only thing you would have to pay for is your plane ticket. However, the dunes I ride aren't all that big, you would probably have more fun at some of the larger dunes... Wow.:eek2: now if I were you.I would jump on that!!!! What a nice guy to offer all that to someone to show them a good time at the dunes........:cool: :)

Dune Surfer
07-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Hop in your car and drive to your nearest dunes. It can be a life changing experience:D Riding sand dunes is great. They are steep and scary, you can ride any line you want, Quads climb them like you won't believe, you can jump everywhere, you can haul butt, and it is softer than dirt. Try it and you will be hooked

zephead400ex
07-22-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by WyoDuner
Thanks for the plug zephead!!!

Not a problem man:p , you have a nice site so I thought I would help a brother out!:blah:

I just got back from the dunes this weekend. The only complaint, unruly hot! No rain in about 2 weeks so it was really powerdery and razorbacked like a mug!!

EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE A TRIP TO THE DUNES...sand virgin!

peace

wilkin250r
07-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Wow.:eek2: now if I were you.I would jump on that!!!! What a nice guy to offer all that to someone to show them a good time at the dunes........:cool: :)

QJ, of course the offer is open to you, too :devil:

Bretmd94
07-22-2003, 11:54 AM
There is a reason why the west coast doenst have much MX quad racing. Everyone that is into quads just goes to the dunes instead. Over here Banshee's are extreemly popular because they are made for the dunes. Raptors are the kings of the thumpers. I go to the dunes about 20 times a year. Its only a 3 hour drive and my parents have a house that has dune access in the back yard. :blah:

Im getting burnt out on it though. I wish there were more racing here.

QuadJunkies
07-22-2003, 07:27 PM
QJ, of course the offer is open to you, too :devil: WEll now.I just might take you up on that sometime!!!!I would like to hit a new duning spot once a year so I may haveto look you up sometime.......Thanks for the offer....:) haha I dont know about sleeping in the trailer though:o ,Im sure you have a few hotels in town?;)

wilkin250r
07-23-2003, 05:40 AM
WEll now.I just might take you up on that sometime!!!!I would like to hit a new duning spot once a year so I may haveto look you up sometime.......Thanks for the offer....:) haha I dont know about sleeping in the trailer though:o ,Im sure you have a few hotels in town?;)

Well, yeah, but all the best stuff happens at night.

It's not uncommon for someone to haul a can of gas up to the top of the drag hill, dump it, and light the entire ridge on fire. Although highly illegal in Nevada, fireworks are a nightly occurence. Another common trick is to haul an old tire to the top of the dunes, dump a gallon of gas into it, light it, and roll it towards the camps...

Luckily, the farthest I've ever seen one roll still stopped a good 200 yards from the campsites.

Why would you ever want to stay in a hotel? I don't bite :devil:

wilkin250r
07-23-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Bretmd94
There is a reason why the west coast doenst have much MX quad racing. Everyone that is into quads just goes to the dunes instead. Over here Banshee's are extreemly popular because they are made for the dunes. Raptors are the kings of the thumpers. I go to the dunes about 20 times a year. Its only a 3 hour drive and my parents have a house that has dune access in the back yard. :blah:

Im getting burnt out on it though. I wish there were more racing here.

I would DEFINITLY like to see more quad racing. I can't find anything in Northern Nevada.

QuadJunkies
07-23-2003, 06:09 AM
I would DEFINITLY like to see more quad racing. I can't find anything in Northern Nevada.
Well come on overto Idaho some time and a few of us will show you some racing.....:D ;)

QuadJunkies
07-23-2003, 06:10 AM
Well, yeah, but all the best stuff happens at night.

It's not uncommon for someone to haul a can of gas up to the top of the drag hill, dump it, and light the entire ridge on fire. Although highly illegal in Nevada, fireworks are a nightly occurence. Another common trick is to haul an old tire to the top of the dunes, dump a gallon of gas into it, light it, and roll it towards the camps...

Luckily, the farthest I've ever seen one roll still stopped a good 200 yards from the campsites.

Why would you ever want to stay in a hotel? I don't bite :devil: hahaha.....Sounds totally wild!!!!!! Ill have to give you a buzz sometime,I would like to come ride over there sometime.....:)

wilkin250r
07-23-2003, 06:32 AM
Well come on overto Idaho some time and a few of us will show you some racing.....:D ;)

Actually, that's not too far fetched. My family has a cabin in Washington up north of Spokane, and I make the drive every other year or so. I suppose a little detour wouldn't hurt...