PDA

View Full Version : Ok smarty pants,,answer this one

01-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Try and picture all this in your head. The quad is sitting on a stand so the wheels are not touching the ground,,But last night while putting on my fancy new air scoops I turned the handlebars to the right and the dang right front rim hits the lower a-arm,, ONLY if I snap the steering to that side real fast,,if I slowly turn it,,it won't hit,,probably about 1/4 or 1/3 of an inch away. If I turn the handlebars to the left nothing,, the rim is about 1 inch away from the lower a-arm won't touch at all...any ideas?? Now I haven't had the quad on the ground to see if this happens with a load on the front end. I didn't notice it before becuase I had my MX tires on which are offset +1. I'm taken some pics tonight of it to send to houser racing,,they didn't have any ideas either.

The only thing I can think is my frame might be tweaked after jumping and landing on my cousin and his prairie 400.:eek:

Tommy 17
01-17-2002, 12:56 PM
rico mine does it too... when i was workin on my quad i had it up on the stand i was goofin off acting like i was doin tricks and stuff bein a retard and i turn the bars and i heard bang so i did it a few times and it was the rim hitting my a-arm.... i thought mayb it was just bc my wheel was bent... mayb all 400exs do that...

Mity Mo
01-17-2002, 12:57 PM
Rico my my 250r Laeger Protrax did that last year. The way to tell if something is really fouled up is measure from the center front hub to the center rear hub. Do it to both sides to see if something is wrong. Mine laeger frame was bent in .5" and I didnt notice it till I did the same as you did. I know thats not what you wanted to hear but believe me it will only get worse over time. Mo

300exrider99
01-17-2002, 01:00 PM
My 300 does that when it's off the ground but i don't think it does when it's on the ground.

kc 300EX
01-17-2002, 01:06 PM
Mine does it too, but im PRETTY sure its from having a bent tie rod, none of you have bent tie rods do you?

400exJOE
01-17-2002, 01:12 PM
hopefully you dont have a bent frame! One thing to check is if your rim is bent (landing on a Praire just might do that). I had mine on my stand and spun the front right tire around and it had a decent woble to it. Im not worried about it, but maybe the one side of your rim that is bent in was on the bottom. Hope for the best!;)

01-17-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Mity Mo
I know thats not what you wanted to hear but believe me it will only get worse over time. Mo

Mo if ya ain't got nothin nice to say don't say nothin at all,,never tell me bad news again Mo..:D You say it will get worse over time :eek: so your sayin a new frame in the long run??:(

Oh and thanks fer the info on measurin the wheel base from hub to hub,,didn't think of that..:huh

Well since the Ole ladies gone to vegas Rico's gonna go home and cry in his beer all night i guess..:( Son of a ;klasjdfj';klasdjf

chris29
01-17-2002, 01:41 PM
Rico am I going to have to come over there and slap you around. You can't even put air scoops on with out fu*king something up.

But when I grow up I wanna be just like you..:D

trx400ex
01-17-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 400ex21
rico mine does it too... when i was workin on my quad i had it up on the stand i was goofin off acting like i was doin tricks and stuff bein a retard and i turn the bars and i heard bang so i did it a few times and it was the rim hitting my a-arm.... i thought mayb it was just bc my wheel was bent... mayb all 400exs do that...

ive done that retarded thing before too:D

Mity Mo
01-17-2002, 01:53 PM
Rico mine was actually in the a-arms. I bent one of them off a jump. I smashed head long into another bike who didnt make the jump. If you dtermine there is a problem with the measurements you need to look at the a-arms first because they will be the first to bend. I will try to never give you bad news again....:p Mo:D

knighttime
01-17-2002, 01:57 PM
Maybe u need to install some leaf springs.:D

EXtreme-
01-17-2002, 02:31 PM
I've been known to be a smartypants once and a while, so here it goes:blah

Think about this.... Quad's in the air, shocks are at full piston length with a-arms at equal elevation. The bump stop is on the steering stem which we'll assume aint twisted. The error is in the front end alignment....just like a car....assuming the a-arms aren't wacked out too. Your center-to-left and center-to-right has to be offset by a half inch....making your total difference one inch as you describe.

Drive that thing over to the local Midas shop for an alignment and watch the look on their face:eek:

JabberJaw
01-17-2002, 03:06 PM
Don't worry about Rico! I don't think he quite all there. His legs don't go all the way down to the ground...if you know what I mean.

416 EXtreme
01-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Rico,a friend of mine has a lonestar steering stem and had to weld on stops because it turned to much.I dont know if this will help but who knows?

330exracer
01-17-2002, 04:39 PM
i got a good solution. ill take your 400 from you and poof no more problem.

Wingnut
01-17-2002, 04:48 PM
I had this problem also on my 400. Actually it was so bad that the right rim had a 1/2 inch area that was worn flat from scraping the lower a-arm. The cause was that the steering stops were welded to the frame slightly crooked. To fix the problem i had a weld put on the left side steering stop that added about 1/8 inch. There is no noticable difference in the steering, but the wheel does not scrape any more.

Mitch400EX
01-17-2002, 06:24 PM
You say it only hits the A-arm if you turn the bars quickly, your ball joints in the A-arms could be going. Just a thought.

Clay
01-17-2002, 06:34 PM
Good call, thats what i was thinking too.

optikid123
01-17-2002, 07:38 PM
this happens on all banshees so im assuming that it happens on a forhundred but on banshees if u get them off the ground, and turn the bars all the way the wheels turn to where there supposed to be, but if u go and push it a little ( not hard) they will go a few more inches and hit the a-arm i think they do this because it helps in turning but i have seen it before.

quadfamily
01-17-2002, 10:11 PM
Rico, So do you think it was the prarie or your cousin that did the most damage to your quad? And if the wheel is bent on one side then just rotate it so it isn't hitting and you'll be ok! (jk) By the way, did your cousin get hurt when you landed on him?

01-18-2002, 06:48 AM
Well I forgot to mention when I wrecked I had my stock a-arms not the houser arms,,so I don't think it would be the arms at all.
I'm gonna do some measuring this weekend to see what I can find.

And yes quadfamily I did hurt my cousin,,I knocked out a tooth, bruised his ribs, fractured his wrist, bruised his leg pretty good, and thrashed the front of his prarie,,,$800 to fix his bike. He was wearing a helmet and it was cold out so he was bundled up pretty good.

Poncho
01-18-2002, 06:53 AM
Ur deadly Rico!!:eek:

quadfamily
01-18-2002, 10:04 AM
Yeah, remind me never to ride with Rico!!!!

fire x 2000
01-18-2002, 03:05 PM
Hey Rico I have the same problem. I noticed the problem after i installed a Arens stem. The new stem allows for it to turn farther. You might also notice it when you smack a tree really hard--- thats whut clued me into the problem.

out4sand
01-18-2002, 06:08 PM
Those darn trees will getcha! I have replaced more ball joints on my banshee then I care to admit and bent one tie rod on the 400ex....maybe that's why those hill climbs are called idiot holes. You should see how it can bend Douglas Red Labels when it hits the A-arm hard enough ;)

http://out4sand.tripod.com