PDA

View Full Version : Uni foam over K&N??

Glamis400ex
07-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Hey guys,

I think I want a little more protection for my newly built 416. Last time I was out, it was REAL dusty and when I got home, I noticed a trace of dust in the air boot. I have a K&N w/ outerwear on the quad right now.

Does/has anyone used the Uni foam as a oiled or non-oiled prefilter on their K&N? Does it restrict air flow? Uni website says it won't but you know...could be wrong. Would I need to rejet anywhere in the carb? Pilot, air screw, WOT???

Just looking for suggestions...

Glamis

zlam27
07-16-2003, 04:44 PM
i was wondering the EXACT same thing. i have a K&N but no outerwear, i was wonderin about puttin the old UNI from my banshee over the K&N, then maybe an outerwear over both. that would be worth just a little power loss for the added security.

so basically, anyone have any info??

300exOH
07-16-2003, 04:51 PM
sounds to me like it would defeat the purpose of having a K&N. I'd just get a fresh UNI. Maybe use the K&N in cleaner conditions. Just my opinion.

JD400exrider
07-16-2003, 06:04 PM
Glamis I run a uni and i noticed a few rides ago when it was VERY DUSTY i had a slight amount of dust in the air boot also.

I went to a oiled pre filter over the uni the next ride it was fine. Same place same conditions. A prefiler is like a thin material that stretches over most of the filter. Replaced with another at lunch. All good. They come three to a pack and seam to work well. You might try one over your outer wear if you use the K&N. Should have them down in LA area. I think the company is based down south
Good Luck

Glamis400ex
07-17-2003, 01:08 AM
Excellent JD400,

I'll look into finding that 3 pack.

Glamis

Evan400ex
07-17-2003, 02:34 AM
I have a K&N with a prefilter. I haven't had any problems with my K&N letting dust into my air boot. I hate foam filters so I wouldn't switch if it was letting a little dust in the air boot.:confused2

MX26
07-17-2003, 03:39 AM
I've ran both on my quads, and I must say that I will take the UNI over a K&N any day. Down here, it's pretty dusty but on the tracks I ride, dust isn't an issue very often. I do remember seeing a TV show on the K&N, and their truck filters let in a pretty high amount of dust particles. Call me crazy, but I'd rather run an oiled foam filter and clean it more often than waste my motor.

If you're not wanting to go in the way of UNI, check out Twin-Air or No-Toil.

Out_Sider
07-17-2003, 03:56 AM
i have a UNI on my 300ex and it works great!!! I was thinking about switching to a K&N, but then i realized theres alot of dust were i ride, so im gonna keep my UNI, and just deal with having to oil it more often.

Evan400ex
07-17-2003, 06:51 AM
If you are thinking about switching to a K&N and worried about dust gettin into your engine buy a prefilter for a little over 15 bucks. It traps dirt from .005 in diameter and is water repellent. :devil:

BIGRED400
02-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Found 1 that fit's perfect for $15 at http://gtthunder.com/
Flows good, sprayed it with FAB1 to help catch dirt.had the same problem here in Fla. on my 416:cool:

2004TRX450R
02-09-2004, 12:40 AM
A K&N will allow dirt to come in with an outerwears or not. The oiled foam filters are the best for filtering but don't flow as well as a K&N. I guess you have to decide weather rebuilding the eingine regularly is more important than haveing a little less performance. Especially if you own a new TRX450R or YFZ450 with the nickisil cylenders. They are not boreable so if you get dirt in them and mess them up you have to buy a complete new cylender.

shamisc
02-09-2004, 01:41 AM
Panty hose over the Pre-filter and K&N would prob. help!

honda416exman
02-09-2004, 11:14 AM
shamisc

It sounds funny but I actually run a straight K&N and use the pantyhose for my air box cover, I should use it around the filter to, but it really seems to work IMO.

Josh #51

Juggalo
02-09-2004, 03:36 PM
you will NEVER be able to tell the difference in power between a uni and K&N. the amount of air flow one has over another is so minimal that theres like a .0001 hp difference. that tiny bit of power would never come into account in any kind of riding or race. you might as well get the uni. it filters better, its cheaper to buy, and cheaper to upkeep.

hondarider2006
02-09-2004, 03:46 PM
I run a k&n right now with the outerwear and IMO its a cheap filter....The bottom of the filter is wearing out from rubbing, and the outwear has 2-3 holes in it also. I think as soon as I get the money, and I am switching to a UNI. :macho

2004TRX450R
02-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
you will NEVER be able to tell the difference in power between a uni and K&N. the amount of air flow one has over another is so minimal that theres like a .0001 hp difference. that tiny bit of power would never come into account in any kind of riding or race. you might as well get the uni. it filters better, its cheaper to buy, and cheaper to upkeep.

I don't agree. The K&N defineately flows better than stock. The stock filter is a foam filter as is the UNI. I think the UNI and stock filters are pretty close if not the same when it comes to flow rates. The K&N will flow better. It has less restrictive filtering media but that also mean less restrictive filtering ability wich means it will allow larger particles of dirt or sand in where the foam filters properly oiled will not.

Originally posted by hondarider2006
I run a k&n right now with the outerwear and IMO its a cheap filter....The bottom of the filter is wearing out from rubbing, and the outwear has 2-3 holes in it also. I think as soon as I get the money, and I am switching to a UNI. :macho

I have seen several K&N filters in different bikes that seem to like to rub on portions of the air box. This leads to the filter media mesh getting dammaged and ultimately causeing a hole in the filter media. Also if you have a prefilter on it it will rub a hole in it as well.

hondarider2006
02-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
I have seen several K&N filters in different bikes that seem to like to rub on portions of the air box. This leads to the filter media mesh getting dammaged and ultimately causeing a hole in the filter media. Also if you have a prefilter on it it will rub a hole in it as well.

So do the Uni filters also wear through, or are they designed differently so they don't rub??

2004TRX450R
02-09-2004, 05:50 PM
They are usually made to the same dimensions as the stockers or really close so I haven't seen any problems with them. Also they aren't as rigid as the metal mesh around a K&N so even if they did rub on something they probably wouldn't rub through like the K&N filters will.

Juggalo
02-09-2004, 05:50 PM
first of all the stock filter doesn't even flow very bad at all. second uni is FAR from being the same as stock.

2004TRX450R
02-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
first of all the stock filter doesn't even flow very bad at all. second uni is FAR from being the same as stock.

You are right the stock filters don't flow that bad. The biggest restriction in the system is the air box and the ducting to it. Takeing off the lid and noticeing a difference tells you that. I have installed a few K&N filters and they do flow better than stock. Thus the bike needing to be rejetted from stock jetting with just the addition of the K&N even with the stock air box in place. A Uni filter is basicly the same design as a stock filter. I would look at a Uni as being a factory replacement rather than an upgrade.

hondarider2006
02-09-2004, 05:58 PM
so I would be better off with a Uni? Because I can get one off of magicracing for $26....I think my mom got my k&n with the outerwear for $65:eek2:

motoboy66
02-10-2004, 01:35 AM
I have the Uni and my buddy has the K&N. The UNI is about an inch longer than the stocker, but fits fine. As for the K&N rubbing, we found it to be the end of the snorkle tub. It wore holes in his outerwear, and is starting to wear into the metal. We solved this proublem by cutting away the part of the snorkle where it was rubbing. I don't know which filter works better, but I do know my UNI has held up much better. It is lighter and so does not get knocked around as much during a race. If you take the time to clean and oil the filter on a regular basis, both should be fine. I when with the UNI because of years of no trouble racing on a CR. Also it was much cheaper.

Todd

BIGRED400
02-10-2004, 04:24 AM
I just put in my new UNI , the bottom 2 plastic blades are digging in the filter , I thought it might damage the filter so I slightly bent them, they used to hold the factory and K&N from backing out ......kinda of a nice design....have this problem too ???

motoboy66
02-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Just cut those tabs off. Score the bottom edge with a knife, and they will snap off real clean.

Todd