PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bearings

Scott
01-17-2002, 11:35 AM
I'm due to replacement the axle bearings on my 300EX. The carrier is still good, I just need the bearings, and I can get both bearings and both seals for $50. Do any of you guys have a source that is any cheaper?

barbwire44
01-18-2002, 11:08 AM
Call a bearing distributor. Give them the size which is
Sealed Bearing 40X62X12
The Seal is 52X62X7

Should cost about 35 bucks complete.

01-19-2002, 07:15 AM
Check E-bay...they have bearing and seal kits for around $24.00
A few of my buddies have got them for there 400's and had no problem with them...i have no idea how they can sell them so cheap though....hope this helps!

barbwire44
01-19-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by ABs400ex
Check E-bay...they have bearing and seal kits for around $24.00
A few of my buddies have got them for there 400's and had no problem with them...i have no idea how they can sell them so cheap though....hope this helps!

thats an easy one, They put them in there pocket and take um home from work and then put them on ebay!

That or their made in taiwan.:devil

01-22-2002, 08:05 AM
If you call the local bearing distributor you will very likely actually pay more $$$. but if they have a good inventory you should get them the same day.

The reason for this that most industrial bearing distributors will stock a higher quality bearing.

The bearings that are normally sold to the ATV industry are typicaly from china and they are sadly pretty much the bottom level on quality.

If ordered from most normal ATV sources you will end up with a cheap chineese bearing at a price very close to the better Europe or Japan products.

The problem is that the bearing type (thin section single row radial) that is used is not truely designed for this type of application and both the cheap and quality ones will fail.

I hope this helps

Scott
01-22-2002, 08:08 AM
So with the side loads the bearings see in turns, you don't think there's any advantage to using a higher quality bearing?

01-22-2002, 08:18 AM
Scott

The advantage of a quality or higher quality bearing will be lost to the fact that once the thrust loads exceede the bearings ratings and the raceway begins to fatigue the balls will begin to continually damage the raceway untill the bearing fails.

I have heard of guys running bearings that judging by the current condition must have failed long before they got to taking them out. So I guess they can run till they either fall apart or seize.

I will be needing to refresh mine in the near future and intend on checking out how much trouble it would be to convert the carrier to accept something more suitable.

Scott
01-22-2002, 08:26 AM
I would like to change to the carrier (I don't remember the manufacturer) with the tapered bearings. That style bearing has worked for years on the spindles of the front end of cars and trucks, so it should work on a quad. Only problem is, the finances don't support the upgrade. Seems like you can get about 2 seasons of play riding out of factory bearings on a 300ex, so I'll throw another set at mine and see if I am in a better position to upgrade when the next set wears out.

Which carrier do you prefer, double straight bearings on each side or the tapered bearing carrier? The dual straight bearing carrier doesn't seem to address the side load issue to me.

01-22-2002, 09:16 AM
Tapered bearings are the way to go,,a little more $$$ but will last longer and I guess keep ya from replacing them again down the road.

01-22-2002, 09:36 AM
I have not seen the dbl row bearing carrier but if it just uses 2 of the same single row bearings I would stay away from it. But if it uses a dbl row bearing they are able to handle much higher thrust loads.

If you go with the tapered roller bearings just be sure to pre-load them correctly.

The automotive front wheel bearings have been switching over to ball bearing types for years now and they work great but are also designed for this type of use and can handle plenty of thrust load.

good luck