PDA

View Full Version : OMF vs. tinner

sparks400
07-16-2003, 11:21 AM
does any feel a difference or not, can i see what they look like? or i also want tinner i dont which one to get. where could i get both of them i kno where to get OMF but not tinner?

nacs400ex
07-16-2003, 04:09 PM
thats cause Tinner is the guy that makes them on here. His name is Jim.

Quadfather
07-16-2003, 04:14 PM
I have OMF scoops, and a riding buddy of mine bought Tinner's, and we installed them last Friday.

We were on a ride with ten other riders, and we all agreed that the OMF scoops looked a lot better. The OMF scoops use the factory bolts from the quad for installation, while Tinner's uses clamps, bolts, and zip ties. The OMF scoops look a lot cleaner, and custom, in our opinion.

I am in no way bashing Tinner's scoops, just giving my opinion, which has never mattered in the past, so it shouldn't now. I know there are many, many satisfied buyers of the Tinner scoops. The Tinners also cost about $20 less. I, for one, am willing to give up an extra $20 for the look achieved with the OMF scoops.

They both seem to do what they are intended for, pushing more air over the motor.

Pappy
07-16-2003, 04:20 PM
what he said except i like the tinners and dont prefer the omf:p

remlapr
07-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Quadfather

The OMF scoops use the factory bolts from the quad for installation, while Tinner's uses clamps, bolts, and zip ties. The OMF scoops look a lot cleaner, and custom, in our opinion.

:confused: I have always heard almost the exact opposite thing - that the thing people like about the tinner scoops is the clean install. One of my buddies that I ride with all the time has them and I'm pretty sure he has them attached at two points only using the factory bolts without any problems. I also ride with a guy that has the OMF - so here is my opinion: I think the major difference is that the OMF scoops seems like that would work better - they have a larger surface area and there isn't a gap between the scoop and the fender - in theory this should mean the air will be forced back toward the engine instead of escaping out through the gap. The negative to the OMF's are that they ARE bigger and don't look as good in my opinion - I think you could actually catch them on something if you were riding through some brush or something - they sort of almost stick out from the quad.

TORO1968
07-16-2003, 04:35 PM
I like the PRM scoops myself...very similar to the OMFs, but not as big.

http://prm-atv.com/img/products/4x649.jpg

Pappy
07-16-2003, 04:36 PM
ive never had a set of tinners come loose. i really like being able to take the plastic off without removing the scoops

remlapr
07-16-2003, 04:43 PM
hmmm - my buddy told me he had some of the first tinner scoops, I guess so because his don't attach like that :confused:

Speaking of the PRM - I think they also look good, but I've never seen them in person - anybody got any better pics of them on their bike??

sparks400
07-16-2003, 05:08 PM
I DONT KNO WHICH ONES I WANT AHHHHH NOWS ITS EITHER OMF OR PRM

TORO1968
07-16-2003, 05:30 PM
When I got my PRMs last December, they only cost $40 or so...now they're up to $45. That's still a heck of a lot cheaper than OMFs.

Here's a couple of pics of the PRMs mounted up on my 400. They mount using two of the front fender mounts and are very, very sturdy. Nothing moves around or rattles when riding.

sparks400
07-16-2003, 05:32 PM
did u cut the lil flap off as seen in the other pic of they came like that?

TORO1968
07-16-2003, 05:33 PM

TORO1968
07-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Sorry, that first pic wasn't that good...the other ones should show how they look a little bit better. No, I didn't cut off that flap, my scoops are exactly the same as in that first pic I posted from the PRM website.

Get the PRMs, you won't be disappointed. :D

-Jordan

TORO1968
07-16-2003, 05:40 PM
The quality on this pic sucks, but it still shows the scoops pretty well...

bmw500hp
07-17-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by TORO1968
When I got my PRMs last December, they only cost $40 or so...now they're up to $45. That's still a heck of a lot cheaper than OMFs.

Considering that recently watched a guy make a set of scoops identical to omf in less than 30 min, at a cost of less than $4.00 (Material) I think they are both a great deal...just can't figure out for who!:devil:

Fair retail price is about 5 times the overall cost of manufacture (ie: tinner at $25.00 or so) 10 times the cost of manufacture is called good marketing! lol

Happen to like the prm's. however! :)

suck my pipe
07-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Well, I dont have any tinners to compare the two, but I love my HMF's. The way they look from the front view, for me personally took some warming up too, but I love the way they look over all, installation couldn't be easyer, and when in open areas they really do help your motor run ALOT cooler. they were a bit pricy at $80 thoe.

side view:

suck my pipe
07-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Front view:

suck my pipe
07-17-2003, 02:09 PM
my bad I accidentally put HMF'S, I was thinking of my pipe, I ment to say 'OMF'S"/ :rolleyes:

07-17-2003, 02:35 PM
I like the tinners. The OMFs are not my style.