PDA

View Full Version : Sand Mountain this weekend...

wilkin250r
07-16-2003, 09:34 AM
Looks like I'm going to brave the tempuratures at Sand Mountain this weekend on Sunday (7-20). Anybody else planning a trip, or am I the only crazy one?

Dune Surfer
07-16-2003, 02:52 PM
I went by there on my way home and there was nobody there. Hot as heck too

wilkin250r
07-17-2003, 05:14 AM
I plan on getting there way early to get some good riding in before it gets too hot.

thejeepdude
07-23-2003, 11:20 AM
I was thinking about going this weekend... did you make it up there last weekend? Was it insanely hot? I figure we can ride until 10-11 or so and just kick it in the shade all day until it cools off and we can ride at night... I would rather hit Oregon Dunes this time of year, but that's a little far for just a weekend trip (10-12 hour drive)...

zephead400ex
07-23-2003, 03:13 PM
How hot are you talking? At Little Sahara, OK. it was 120 degress Saturday when I was there!

peace

CHAUNCY
07-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
How hot are you talking? At Little Sahara, OK. it was 120 degress Saturday when I was there!

peace

:eek2:

wilkin250r
07-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by thejeepdude
I was thinking about going this weekend... did you make it up there last weekend? Was it insanely hot? I figure we can ride until 10-11 or so and just kick it in the shade all day until it cools off and we can ride at night... I would rather hit Oregon Dunes this time of year, but that's a little far for just a weekend trip (10-12 hour drive)...

It was pretty darn hot. I am always an advocate for safety, and I never put my helmet on once.

If it is a definite that you are going, send me a pm, I'll make it out there with you for a day, but don't kill yourself making the trip just because of me.

Bring PLENTY of water. LOTS!! The only way we could keep cool was to get our shirts soaking wet, and then start riding. It was too hot to stay in camp if there was no breeze, shade or not. We had to ride in order to get the air moving around us just to keep cool.

My quad had a tendency to overheat if I rode it real hard, either up the face, or up to superbowl. Of course, I had two people on it most of the time.

thejeepdude
07-24-2003, 06:25 AM
Damn... sounds a little too hot for me. I'm picking up another 400EX for my girlfriend on Friday and was thinkin a trip out there would be a good way for her to get some riding time in (her first time riding other than in my backyard), but I'm thinkin we'll probably just hit some trails in the sierra's where it's cool and wait a couple months before we hit the desert again. I would like to hook up with you sometime out there, though... I've yet to see a 250R up close and in action (still new to this whole quad thing)... but I'm thinkin I want to build a 2-stroker for the sand someday. My gf's brother has a ATC 250R and that thing blows my 400EX away... until we have to turn! :devil: So he might want to get on 4 wheels someday too. Actually he has an extra 250R engine layin around... do you think it would it be better to put that in a 400EX or just get a 250R to begin with? Just thinkin out loud... anyways, will be in touch next time we head up to Sand Mtn

wilkin250r
07-24-2003, 07:00 AM
What is his 250r engine from? Is it from a TRX or an ATC? Is it liquid cooled?

The liquid-cooled 250r motor will drop right into any TRX250r frame, even if the engine is from an ATC.

Putting a TRX250r engine into a 400EX frame is no small task, you're probably better off just getting a 250r frame. My 250r was only slightly faster than my girlfriend's 400EX, until we got in the sand. Then I could outrun her easily. Now, with my new 340cc engine, I can rip all over the dunes...

I know that people make fun of 250r owners, because we all say the 250r is the best quad ever, yadda yadda. However, I do sincerely recommend that if you have the chance to put together, or purchase, a 250r, you should jump on it. Who knows, you may become one of us...

thejeepdude
07-24-2003, 07:10 AM
His spare motor is from a 4-wheeler... but his ATC is water cooled too. Sounds like if I want to jump into the 2-stroke world I should just keep my eyes peeled and wait for a sweet deal on an 88/89 250R... man I have too many hobbies... I *really* need this week's lottery ticket to be a good one! :p

wilkin250r
07-24-2003, 07:15 AM
Yes, the 88/89 were best, but I still think you would be pleased as punch with an 86. I certainly don't have any complaints. I don't think you would be limited in any way, any upgrade you can do to an 89 you can also do to an 86.

wilkin250r
07-24-2003, 07:23 AM
If you're dying to jump on an R, you can always just hop over the mountains, I'm in Carson City. I know of alot of places to go riding locally, we don't need to head out to the hot sand dunes.