PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Vs. Race Wheels

cbrown400ex
01-17-2002, 07:49 AM
I can't make my mind up. I am either going to get race wheels front and back and razors or race wheels on front and carbon fiber on back and razors. I ride mostly for fun, but will be riding in a 10 race harescramble series this year. The new tires and wheels would only be on for races and a few times for practicing. Getting Carbon on back would basically set me back another $130. I have the extra $130 to spend, but I question if it is needed. What would you do? My ex already has most everything else I need for woods racing( skid plates, nerf bars, alum. handlebars, handguards, k&n, jet kit, etc..). On a side note I thought about getting a steering damper. Do they help? Anyway thanks ahead for the help.

01-17-2002, 08:50 AM
Get the race rims and spend the other $130 on a steering dampner,,,i recommend the muscle from speed racing..

MOOCAZEN
01-17-2002, 09:05 AM
GEEZ, DO U MAKE THE MUSCLE FROM SPEEDRACING OR WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!:D ARE U A SALES REP?!?!?!?:devil

01-17-2002, 09:08 AM
Well he asked if he should get a steering dampner and the muscle is a good product,,and I do get a 5% commision bonus from magic racing..:D

cbrown400ex
01-17-2002, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the help. I should have posted the steering damper question seperate. I might get a steering damper no matter which way I go on the tires and wheels.

01-17-2002, 09:48 AM
Well whatever dampner you get don't get the lower priced PEP,,I've read numerous times that they are junk..

RideRed400EX
01-17-2002, 10:01 AM
Rico - since you have the 411 on Speed racing products, when is the website gonna be back up?

01-17-2002, 10:29 AM
Honestly I don't know,,,,they been building the magic racing webpage for like a year,,so I guess there combining the two together. I don't think speedracing has come out with anything new in the last few months anyway...if ya get dirtwheels they always have adds in there.

MOFO
01-17-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Well whatever dampner you get don't get the lower priced PEP,,I've read numerous times that they are junk..

well, I'm gonna be an odd-ball now. I've had my PEP for almost a year now (new style that is rebuildable) and its been working flawless. I do admit I dont like how it mounts close to the head pipe, but so far it hasnt "overheated" or anything like that. Just my humble $0.02... :D But I will tell you, the steering dampener is very nice when you are rutted high speed trail rides ;)

Eric

Scott
01-17-2002, 11:16 AM
The way I understand the numerous steering stabilizer coversations on here, the Muscle, Pep rebuildable, and Denton are all basically the same, 7 position rebuildable stabilizers. I'm not sure what the price of each one is, but VWVR6 has the pep, I have the denton, and Rico has his Muscle. All of us are happy with them and none of us have had any problems. I've hadmy Denton about a year as well.

Doesn't matter which one you choose as long as it's rebuildable. That will save you money in the long run.

You'll be happy you got one.

cbrown400ex
01-17-2002, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the help on the steering damper issue. What about wheels? Carbon fiber or race.

01-17-2002, 11:20 AM
Exactly get the rebuildable one..

vwvr6 the pep I was referring to was the one that mounts to the motor mounts, and cost's less than the other's, not the one you have that is rebuildable. Which is basically the same as the muscle, and the denton I beleive. So see your not an odd ball..:D

Cbrown get the race rims with rings,,they'll do the job just fine. But the carbon ones are nice,,don't get me wrong.

cbrown400ex
01-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Rico thanks for all the advice. I too think the race wheels will serve the purpose. Plus it will free up a little more money. Maybe get steel braided lines and other stuff along with the steering dampner. Next time I talk to Terry I'll see what kind of price he can get me a denton or muscle for. Nothing against Pep though.

400MXer
01-17-2002, 05:01 PM
yeah, i would just get the race wheels too. They serve the purpose and they leave money to spend somewhere else.
I also think a steering stablizer would be a good advestment. I really want one as well, but i'm gonna wait till i have the money. I'm forkin' money out for a arms, shocks and a motor build....so i'm kind of running out of cash.