PDA

View Full Version : Sound Level Check

MITrail400EX
07-16-2003, 08:54 AM
OK, so heres my ordeal. Silver Lake has sound ordinances that say you have to be below 94dB to get on the dunes, otherwise they won't let you on. I've heard stories that they check just about everyone with an aftermarket exhaust and guess what I have! Anyways, rather than drive 5 hours to get there and turn around because they denied me entrance, does anyone know of any stores/ government agencies that can check you with a meter and tell you your sound output? A small fee is ok, but free is naturally better. Thanks in advance for your help!:macho

Narly R
07-16-2003, 09:53 AM
Well im not shure I think u might be able to pick sumthin like that up at ur local hardware store.:ermm: Your local police departmenr might have one of those. call around to some hrdware stores and a couple poluce departmaents and i bet u could find one! i bet you will be way to loud, and also figure out if the people at silver lake make a reading at half throddel or what. Then u know what to go by.

modracer5
07-16-2003, 10:17 AM
you should be able to purchase a decible meter at your local radioshack for under $30.00. do call and see how they measure your bike ...what throttle position and at how many feet away they measure...it makes a big diffrence....with the e-series i bet your ok ...worst case you may have to remove a few disks.

ott
07-16-2003, 11:00 AM
I was out there memorial day weekend. they usually only give the guys with the drag pipes a hard time or the ridiculously loud.

I have a yosh exhaust , and they never took a second glance.

If you parade in with others , I dont see them giving you a hard time.

I do understand you don't want to risk it, but you'll be good.

H440exconfused
07-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Well first let me say hello, I met you up at the St. Helen trail.

I have to tell you I just talked to your friend on his cell phone earlier today.

I go to silver lake all the time, and to my knowledge there has never been a four stroke quad with any type of aftermarket exhaust turned around, and everybody has them. As long as you have spark arrestor. My bro has Yoshi, I have WB, cuz has FMF, and wife has Big Gun. The only thing they even test is if you run open headers or straight pipes with no type of muffler, or spark arrestor. Some two strokes with drag pipes too. Any question call your buddy has the number.

TRX300X
07-16-2003, 12:27 PM
I was up there this weekend and as long as you weren't doing something completely and utterly stupid like going the wrong way on the dunes or cutting across the drag strip durring the drags they wouldn't even look twice at you.

TORO1968
07-16-2003, 04:25 PM
I've also been wondering about this... When I was up there in May, I didn't see them test anybody for sound level. I want to buy a Sparks X-6 exhaust, but if I can't run it there, I'm not gonna get it.

Anyone else have experience with sound level testing at Silver Lake?

-Jordan

big-guy
07-17-2003, 02:25 PM
http://oohva.org

click on sound issues, then at the bottom are test results with various bikes and mufflers.

lansing400ex
07-18-2003, 01:40 PM
I was just up there last weekend and the sound testing is done at random. As long as you have a spark arrestor you will ne fine. This is why I have modified my stock exhaust. I get waived in without any problem because the DNR officers know what stock exhaust looks like. All I can say is it looks stock, but it isn't. Minimal restrictions in my muffler and only somewhat louder.