PDA

View Full Version : getting tire off beadlock rims????

derekhonda
07-16-2003, 07:47 AM
I have the side off with the ring on in, but i cannot for the life of me budge theother side. I have tried my air hammer, a screwdriver and hammer, and just cutting the tire with the dremel tool. I dont care about the tires they are shot but i need to send the rims off to get polished asap. Any one got any ideas?

derekhonda
07-16-2003, 09:02 AM
oh comeon i got 2 hours before i HAVE to have them shipped, someone gimme another method to try, just ran over the tire with the truck, no luck still.

derekhonda
07-16-2003, 02:14 PM
:confused:

BigThumper33
07-16-2003, 02:28 PM
I took a razor blade knife and cut a pair of tires off before. Might want to try that. Its tought but once it gets cutting its gone!

BigThumper33
07-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Also, one the actual bead on the tire I used metal cutters to cut through the metal wires that run in the tire bead. The rest I cut with a razor blade knife.

sleestack68
07-16-2003, 06:23 PM
This is what I did and it worked like a charm.

Lay the tire flat on the floor with the side you want to get off face up.

Put some soapy water around the rim and let it sit for a minute.

The get the rear axle of your quad with the hub removed and gentle place it on the edge of the rim. Now let the weight of the rear end of the quad come down on the rubber at the edge of the rim. Some times this will be enough to pop the bead off. If it still does not come off just stand on the axle to give it more weight.

I came up with and used this method and was able to pop both rear beads in 3 minutes. Now, getting the tire off and getting a new one mounted was the real problem.