PDA

View Full Version : ACK..Bit the bullet, bought Elkas

Pepto_Bismol
01-17-2002, 07:38 AM
Well, after alot of thought, I decided just to bite the bullet and bought a set of Triple rate Elkas with piggyback rezzies for 820.00. (directly from Elka) It only cost 115.00 to have them revalved, so I guess that answers my A-Arm or shock first thread. It has a SSD, (Self Sagging Device) that is similar to ZPL. They said they can probably ship within 4 days WHOOT!. They will rebuild the rear for 375.00 too. I'll keep you informed, my wifes gonna kill me! :( Thanks for everyones opinions!
Pep.:cool:

CBRSLIDER
01-17-2002, 11:37 AM
Congrats on the new purchase. I have the same setup you're getting. I ordered mine from the Quad Shop for $750. Before you send your rear shock to Elka, check with Marty at the Quadshop first. I believe he only charges $285.00 for the stock rear shock conversion to Elka SSD. I just sent for a quote this morning. But I am almost positive that it's $285.

Ray

Pepto_Bismol
01-17-2002, 12:44 PM
You got your Elka Triple rate with Adj Comp Rezzies (piggyback) for only 750.00? ....:eek: Sweet.
The bit of shopping around I did I found the lowest for that setup was 820.00. :( (They were selling the Triple Rate Rezzies with NO Comp Adj. for 750.00.)
Let me know about the rear shock rebuild cost.
Pep. :cool:

01-17-2002, 04:36 PM
Pepto_Bismol, check and confirm what you paid for from Elka. When I was shopping, $820 was the list price for triple rates with piggybacks, compression adj., and "SSD". Everyone I checked with were selling them less than list price.

Regardless of price ($750 or $820), I think they are still worth it. I'm loving mine!:cool: I know you can't wait....I remember the feeling. I just hope your wife does't kill you!

Note: There is alot of compression adjustment on them there Elkas!!!:D Good luck with them.

Foxrage
01-17-2002, 05:33 PM
I think elkas are sweet. I am thinking about getting the PEP zps but the long wait isnt for me i am a very impatient person. Has anyone rode a 400ex with pep and elka. I can get the 900 elka and 900 pep so its not the price its mainly which is better if the elka arnt that much better than the pep ill geet the elka but if there is a big difference i would rather wait to have better. Thanks

400MXer
01-17-2002, 05:37 PM
If you call baldwin racing, he can get you some PEP's in 4-6 weeks i think.....and you get free PEP shockcover.

kabd69667
01-17-2002, 06:01 PM
I've rode a 250r with peps and my 400 has elkas. I'm not sure on the width of the 'r but the sag felt about the same. I didn't jump the 250, cuz he races nationals and i didn't want to mess somthign up on it. I would only get the compression adjust because the rebound actually takes away travel and is very hard to dial in. No use to pay extra money

400MXer
01-17-2002, 06:21 PM
kabd69667

i looked at your quad and it looks good with those a arms and shocks i like them!

Foxrage
01-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Ok I am getting them with the rebound is that the adjuster at the bottom of the shock?? WHat kind of adjustments and such are on the peps?

kabd69667
01-17-2002, 07:17 PM
Nacs-PEP's just have compression i believe. If you get Elka's, don't waste your money with the rebound adjust

400mxer-Thanks for the comment. I like how it looks too

Foxrage
01-17-2002, 07:22 PM
What is the rebound adjuster thing what does it do. Is that all your getting with the price difference.

PhilMoore
01-17-2002, 09:53 PM
Marty (from Quadshop) told me the rebound adjust wastes one inch of travel. It is not worth it. I think you only need it if you are a pro, and have a tech on hand to dial your shocks for you. Or, if you just like to have a lot of fancy gadgets and knobs on your quad! (that is cool too)

kabd69667
01-18-2002, 01:11 PM
When your shocks compress, that is called compression adjust(bet you didn't know that one). Then when they uncompress, that is called rebound. With the Elka's you can adjust the speed of the rebound

AlaskaSpeed
01-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Pep,
Congrats on biting the bullet, you won't believe how you ever rode on stock suspension. I got my Elkas back awhile ago and have not one complaint about the valving or quality. I like mine so much, I am bringing them down with me to Glamis in March. Maybe we could meet up and ride the dunes and put those Elkas to the test.....JIM

Pepto_Bismol
01-19-2002, 01:55 AM
Well, I did say I wanted suspension B4 I went to glamis...looks like I'll get it. Hopefully I can have a rear rebuild in time. I just dailed in My K&N power kit with Yoshimura silencer too. It ROCKS...look for my review posted.!!
Pep:cool:

CBRSLIDER
01-22-2002, 01:01 AM
Hey Pep,

Got the quote back from Marty at the Quad Shop. He is going to do the Elka SSD for $275 for me. I do not know if he is giving me a break since I bought the fronts from him or not but I suggest that you give him a call before you get yours done. I have dealt with him on several purchases and he has been great to work with. He is a rider himself and tries to pass along some savings to us normal guys. Make sure you bust him about riding a Raptor.

When you talk to him tell him that Ray from PA told you to call and maybe he'll give ya a break. But even at $285 normal price isn't that bad compared to $375 from Elka.

Let me know what you decide.

Ray