PDA

View Full Version : the word at cycle trader is...

trout
07-16-2003, 03:05 AM
that its gonna be a TRX450Fi, that you all are waiting for.

Dont flame the messenger, I dont spend much time here, im usually on the cannondale forums, as I have a cannondale, but thats the word.

Doibugu2
07-16-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by trout

Dont flame the messenger, I dont spend much time here, im usually on the cannondale forums, as I have a cannondale, but thats the word.

FI? Meaning fuel injected?

user101
07-16-2003, 03:18 AM

Dont flame the messenger

trout
07-16-2003, 03:50 AM
aluminum frame with fuel injection. Alot like the cannondale, but we will see on Sept. 12th. I hope so, for cryin out loud!

07-16-2003, 04:08 AM
aluminum frame with fuel injection. Alot like the cannondale, but we will see on Sept. 12th. I hope so, for cryin out loud!

If honda bought out parts of Cannondale as rumor has it,,I don't doubt it one bit...:cool:

I can't wait ta see the looks on everyones faces that just bought a new YZF 450...:devil:

RIjon
07-16-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Rico
If honda bought out parts of Cannondale as rumor has it,,I don't doubt it one bit...:cool:

I can't wait ta see the looks on everyones faces that just bought a new YZF 450...:devil:

CHAR250R
07-16-2003, 04:16 AM

I can't wait ta see the looks on everyones faces that just bought a new YZF 450...:devil: Canondale is being liquidated as we speak. www.nrel.com Click on the link for current liquidations..................sad, but true.:(

trout
07-16-2003, 04:17 AM
Honda DID NOT buy out anything from Cannondale. Every last part from the factory was bought by a group of guys, one is MAZ a former Cannondale factory engineer, and some orthapedic surgeons, who providedt he money. Then they opened www.cdaleparts.com.

as for the honda....... im sure its their own design, they have plenty of aluminum welders of their own, and plenty of street bikes with EFI to draw from, not to mention cars.

RIjon
07-16-2003, 04:31 AM
I don't think we were implying that honda was going to just Use Cdale parts and go from there....

The benifit would be from all the R&D that was Already done

trout
07-16-2003, 04:42 AM
RIJon,

I agree. The design is solid, the gains from EFI are proven. Hopefully the info is good and the bike is announced on the 12th.

wilkin250r
07-16-2003, 05:01 AM
I'm pretty out of the loop. Is it really going to be announced on the 12th? I knew about cannondale and the new Yammi, but I had no idea that Honda actually set a release date...

Sparks425Ex
07-16-2003, 05:02 AM
From what I hearin:

Aluminum Frame is a Deffinate

450 Engine(Not The CRF Engine)

Liquid Cooled

SOHC

Not Heard Anything Of the EFI Effect

Front End Is similar to that of the Predator(Reduced B* S*)

Will Not Be Destroked for Open Class.

Pushing For Pro Production is the Key.....

400exrules
07-16-2003, 05:07 AM

:devil:

jmoney45
07-16-2003, 05:10 AM

It would probably be something like :eek2:

But if they detuned the snot out of it, it would be more like :blah:

KrazyKid300ex
07-16-2003, 05:16 AM
i don't see why you all dislike the yfz450. just because its not a honda. wow big deal. all this b!tch!ng about yami and honda. i thought we were in the sport to have fun and not to see which company makes the best quad. i might buy the yfz because im looking to buy something now not later in the year

400grl
07-16-2003, 05:25 AM
That's too bad- why not just wait a few months and have more of a choice........the new Yammy is OK, but I still can't get past the 1st year Yamaha phobia I have sustained from my '01 Raptor purchase........and my '01 Honda is still problem free.

Flyin#3-1/2
07-16-2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by KrazyKid300ex
i don't see why you all dislike the yfz450. just because its not a honda. wow big deal. all this b!tch!ng about yami and honda. i thought we were in the sport to have fun and not to see which company makes the best quad. i might buy the yfz because im looking to buy something now not later in the year

what he said:ermm: i am thinking about buying a yfz450, as soon as i get rid of my banshee....

Crazy Honda
07-16-2003, 05:33 AM
we will all just have to wait and see :blah:

400grl
07-16-2003, 05:35 AM
wtf!!!!! hahahahahahahahhahahaha!!!!!! Now that's funny......beating a dead horse....lol!

jmoney45
07-16-2003, 05:37 AM

We don't all hate the new yamaha. I want one because it's the best performance machine out there that is currently produced. When i'm ready to buy i won't wait on rumors. Especially when there is a kick arse machine already out. So what if it doesn't say Honda.

Crazy Honda
07-16-2003, 05:43 AM
yea .. now my big? is everyone wants to see it but how many will go buy one as soon as they come out? I give honda a lot of credit but many people are willing to sell ther 440 -416 do you realy think it will be better.I allways thaught it was more about the rider than the bike dont get me wrong a good bike helps.just wonder if it is realy worth it.:confused:

KrazyKid300ex
07-16-2003, 06:17 AM
i don't get what some people think it is ALL rider skills in a race or something. in a drag i don't think a expert on a 300ex can beat a danm raptor in a drag with a novice rider. but anyway i think yami has done their homework and i think honda can only match the yfz450. i don't think it will be better. bet DW will do a shoot out on the gas gas450,yfz450 and honda 450.

Crazy Honda
07-16-2003, 06:27 AM
i don't get what some people think it is ALL rider skills in a race or something. in a drag i don't think a expert on a 300ex can beat a danm raptor in a drag with a novice rider. but anyway i think yami has done their homework and i think honda can only match the yfz450. i don't think it will be better. bet DW will do a shoot out on the gas gas450,yfz450 and honda 450. sorry been done look in videos 300ex drag.:eek2:

nacs400ex
07-16-2003, 06:34 AM
Well if you dont think the Honda will be better than anything else out there, than you better do some thinking. Pretty much every sport bike released by honda was a NEW innovating design, not some cheap knock off like z400 :rolleyes: Lets just say it is the same, well I am buying the Honda, cause Honda knows reliability like the back of their hands.

Honda has actually released the competition for the new yamaha, the 250r:blah:

Crazy Honda
07-16-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
Well if you dont think the Honda will be better than anything else out there, than you better do some thinking. Pretty much every sport bike released by honda was a NEW innovating design, not some cheap knock off like z400 :rolleyes: Lets just say it is the same, well I am buying the Honda, cause Honda knows reliability like the back of their hands.

KrazyKid300ex
07-16-2003, 06:40 AM
to his, his own mind and thoughts. well everyone is taking the dirtbike engine to a quad frame. not hard but a give credit for thinking of new parts for the yfz

Crazy Honda
07-16-2003, 06:45 AM
From what I hearin:

Aluminum Frame is a Deffinate

450 Engine(Not The CRF Engine)

Liquid Cooled

SOHC

Not Heard Anything Of the EFI Effect

Front End Is similar to that of the Predator(Reduced B* S*)

Will Not Be Destroked for Open Class.

Pushing For Pro Production is the Key.....

:confused: read back a ways dont know if its true not flaming but that dont look like no bike engine:confused:

KrazyKid300ex
07-16-2003, 06:57 AM
not talking about the unknown godly honda

QuadJunkies
07-16-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
That's too bad- why not just wait a few months and have more of a choice........the new Yammy is OK, but I still can't get past the 1st year Yamaha phobia I have sustained from my '01 Raptor purchase........and my '01 Honda is still problem free. good point. I didi see the new Yami run and I cant lie....its one fast Mo Fo:eek2: ...But Honda has reliability,if I play my cards right, I will get the new Honda the minute they are avail.....If they announce in Sept,whats everyones guess when we can buy one? I flattrack in Nov so would be cool to have one in time.......:D

trueblue450
07-16-2003, 07:29 AM
im gonna laugh when its a 400EX with a bigger gas tank......

toby400ex
07-16-2003, 09:06 AM
i don't see why you all dislike the yfz450. just because its not a honda. wow big deal. all this b!tch!ng about yami and honda. i thought we were in the sport to have fun and not to see which company makes the best quad. i might buy the yfz because im looking to buy something now not later in the year maybe we're just thinking how bad a new 450 fuel injected aluinu fraed honda would tear the yami a new one.

07-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by RIjon
I don't think we were implying that honda was going to just Use Cdale parts and go from there....

The benifit would be from all the R&D that was Already done

Ummm yeah...I forgot the first time I said that it was in greeek...:confused2

edgerat
07-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by nacs400ex

BLAH BLAH BLAH BSBSBSBSBS When was the last time besides the 600RR that Honda released a ground-breaking sport bike that WON any comparison? NEVER! And you know why? Because Honda likes to play the safe luke-warm game. They dont take risks and they never step up to the plate with a bike like the YFZ450. Because they are pussies when it comes to doing that kind of thing. And everyone blathers on and on about Honda reliability, yeah Honda's dont have many issues with them but when you arent pushing the limits of design you dont exceed the limits of products. If honda releases a 450 sport quad that wins a comparison test between the YFZ and it I will gladly sidle up to the table and eat my words but for now, Eat shat Honda. you have let me down and released mediocre BS for far too long for me to put up with it anymore. yamaha stepped up to the plate and delivered the knock-out punch and if and when Honda releases a new quad I am willing to bet it will be some luke-warm SAFE POS.
And as for the looks on the faces of the YFZ owners(of which I am one) I imagine it will be something like this http://www.smilies.okipages.com/s/ups/DeNiro/up_yours.gifbecause I for one and tired of the lame-*** attempts at trying to keep up.
:::::::::: puts on flame suit :::::::::::::::
Isaac

dirtriderex
07-16-2003, 11:14 AM
What are you talking about!!! When the 400 came out it was a turn in the sport and technology, the cr's alluminuim frame was a huge risk, and as far as the CBR's there is no proof they are worse than the Yammi. "Honda is *****s", what!!! The CRF kicked every 4-stroke bikes A** as well. So go crash your yammi and have a good day:cuss: :cuss:

JKyle01
07-16-2003, 04:31 PM
amen to that dirtrider

edgerat
07-16-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
What are you talking about!!! When the 400 came out it was a turn in the sport and technology, the cr's alluminuim frame was a huge risk, and as far as the CBR's there is no proof they are worse than the Yammi. "Honda is *****s", what!!! The CRF kicked every 4-stroke bikes A** as well. So go crash your yammi and have a good day:cuss: :cuss:

The 400 was a huge let down for me as a racer because honda put an archaic engine in a sport quad chassis so I dont see how it was a landmark in technology. Granted they didnt have much else to put in there but dont act like the EX was the end it be all of sport quads. Yeah, it is a good trail quad(just like the XR) but that is about where it ends. The CR's aluminum frame wasn't that big of a stretch in my opinion and how many years did it take them to get it close to rideable for the average person?? 3. And as far as the proof of Honda's not being able to hang with Yam in the sportbike scene just pick up any mag like Sport Rider and see who they pick in a 600 shootout or an open class shootout. You can bet your *** that isnt the lazy F4i or the 954rr. It is the R1 and the R6. I will give Honda props that the CRF is a great all together bike but as far as it kicking the YZ's asses PROVE IT! I havent seen it anywhere. I know it is a damn sight easier to get a CRF off the showroom than it is a YZF. The only reason for that is demand is much higher for the Yamaha. I am not a brand loyal dip-shat that carries a flag for Yamaha or any other company. I have owned prolly a dozen 250rs in the last few years and I even tried to own a 400ex but was so disgusted with it I sold it to my little sister who whined because it didnt have enough power for her. I am a big 250r guy and I will stand up and chant the praises of the R for the rest of my life but as far as Honda stepping up in ATV racing scene and releasing this supposed FI alum framed 50hp race quad. I will reserve judgement for now. Now you go crash your POS EX and have a great day.... :)
Isaac

Pvt. Maggot
07-16-2003, 06:13 PM
i would rather ride a luke warm safe bike then ride a ice cube cold yamaha and have it break and the wheels fall off and other things. i bet the yzf450 is a great quad and all...but honda will come out with something better...always have..always will...i just love my hondas. and if you say oh you blew your honda up...yes i did...because i rode it to its limit and thats why....so yeah...go cash in your yamaha and i'll cash in my honda and we will all be happy. :D

JKyle01
07-16-2003, 06:22 PM
the 600rr will run with the r6 and the 929s are pretty good too and the ex was a turn point because it brought the whole sport quad market back the 400ex come out and then everybody else come out with new sport quads that mimic the 400ex chassis and the new z250 robbed the 250ex concept everybody seems to be copyin honda designs

JUSTINcredible
07-16-2003, 06:34 PM
edgerat dont even bother... this is a honda forum and there is no possible way you can get most of these guys to like a yamaha if it was the last thing on earth because everyone is so biased with manufacture names its seems and they dont even care about the actual performance part of any maching excpet for honda... thats most ppl, not all of them

Crazy Honda
07-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by MNmxblaster37
edgerat dont even bother... this is a honda forum and there is no possible way you can get most of these guys to like a yamaha if it was the last thing on earth because everyone is so biased with manufacture names its seems and they dont even care about the actual performance part of any maching excpet for honda... thats most ppl, not all of them

JKyle01
07-16-2003, 06:48 PM
if you were referring to me then your wrong cuz im not prejudice against other manufacturers because they arent honda i like banshees and c dales and the new v force is pretty cool too but i was just sayin what i thought about what was said although all of them would be better if they had five letters on them HONDA just kiddin lmao but honda is good and most ppl rag on them these days but i still wouldnt take anything over a honda

Honda4trax250x
07-16-2003, 08:03 PM
i find it funny that all the info about the bike that "comes from a reliable source" is all different and sometimes contradict eachother

K2Snow
07-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot
i would rather ride a luke warm safe bike then ride a ice cube cold yamaha and have it break and the wheels fall off and other things. i bet the yzf450 is a great quad and all...but honda will come out with something better...always have..always will...i just love my hondas. and if you say oh you blew your honda up...yes i did...because i rode it to its limit and thats why....so yeah...go cash in your yamaha and i'll cash in my honda and we will all be happy. :D

dude, you're praising honda and inferring you wouldn't buy a yamaha... also mentioned how the yamaha would break down. in your sig, you have a honda 300ex out of commission, and an ad to trade to get a yamaha. well which side are you on bro?

JUSTINcredible
07-17-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by JKyle01
if you were referring to me then your wrong cuz im not prejudice against other manufacturers because they arent honda i like banshees and c dales and the new v force is pretty cool too but i was just sayin what i thought about what was said although all of them would be better if they had five letters on them HONDA just kiddin lmao but honda is good and most ppl rag on them these days but i still wouldnt take anything over a honda

I wasnt referring to you in particular... it just seems that is the way it is and not much is gonna change that....

but Honda must have done something right if they have so many very dedicated people to their name.

wilkin250r
07-17-2003, 04:43 AM
I'm not loyal to any brand, but here are a few things I have seen and know.

Many people say Honda plays it safe, decent performance but never winning any comparison. When the 400EX came out, it was ground-breaking. The only other high performance 4-stroke out was the Warrior (oh please...) and THEN came the DS650, raptor, c-dale, and predator. The 400EX was revolutionary in it's debut. I admit, it's now at the bottom of the food chain, but when it first came out, there was no other 4-stroke that could compare.

First year Honda doesn't carry the same foreboding aura that Yammi has. Whether your talking 250r, 300EX, 400EX, Honda isn't plagued by factory recalls and upgrades. I'm not saying that the new yz450 will also have problems, but Honda has a reputation of reliability that Yamaha doesn't have.

Everybody copies Honda. When have you seen an aftermarket yzf426 frame based on the Banshee geometry? Or a CRF450 in a Raptor frame? Last I checked, the z400 chassis wasn't modeled after the Warrior.

JHF219
07-17-2003, 05:07 AM
Aight well i have watched this thread go on for 2 days now and im going to throw my 2 cents at there !! im sure im going to get flamed for this cause this is an EX forum !! but when honda came out with the EX i wasnt impressed at ALL!! as a matter of fact Honda hasnt impressed me with anything since the R and until this new quad comes out im not going to make any decisisions !! but i can tell you that all of you saying oh its going to be CRF 450 !! YOUR WRONG !! its got a different cylinder on it and it has been redisgned for reliabilty !! i think you all are in for a big suprise in the motor department !! i think its going to be detuned and slower then the yammi !! and for you people yapping about yammis reliability !! shut it !! that motor has been around for what now 5 or 6 years and it hasnt failed !! in 99 they had a small issue with weak cranks but that was an easy fix !! the yammi motor is reliable !! and you all know it just dont want to admit it !! yeah yammi had issues with the raptor but hey that thier mulligan that was yammis first new high performance atv in a long time !! the reason honda got it right when they made thier first high performance atv in a long time is because they used a motor from the 70s **** i would hope they could get that motor right in 30 years time !! i think there are a lot of people on here who just dont want to admit YAMAHA did a good job this time around !! im still riding a motor that is 17 years old !! you wanna know why im riding this motor? well i cant afford the new yamaha or i would be on that boat already !! my R is the best thing that i could afford(i wouldnt have sunk so much money in it if the yammi was out sooner but oh well) the R has plenty of power it handles great and it suits me well for MX !! sorry if this is a long post but i needed to vent this out i was tired of all the ranting and raving !!

07-17-2003, 05:33 AM
all I have to say ...is ...SEEING is BELEIVING

400grl
07-17-2003, 05:38 AM
I have never thought yammy made a bad motor - they are always powerful and hold up fine.....it's everything else that is attached to the motor I have had issues with! :devil:

07-17-2003, 05:40 AM
well ,,if ya like holding second gear in your hand ...after some hard riding on the first year raptors ....then they made great motors & trans ...;)

nacs400ex
07-17-2003, 05:47 AM
I think Wilkin250R hit the nail right on the head there.

Juggalo
07-17-2003, 07:01 AM
i believe the 450 yamaha motor this year is a whole new motor from the past 400/426 motor.

Sparky416ex
07-17-2003, 07:53 AM
opinions, opinions, there no fun, they hurt everyone!

seriously guys just worry about what you like, not everyone else

KrazyKid300ex
07-17-2003, 08:02 AM
i agree

wilkin250r
07-17-2003, 09:23 AM
I'm still curious, though. How do you know that Honda will release this great innovation on Sept 12? I can't find any reference to Sept 12 on the Honda website or any press release.

trout
07-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Sept. 12 is the day of the dealer show.
you would presume they would announce then.

everything else is speculation, from motor, to frame, to fuel delivery.

I personally think what I originally posted when I started this thread

aluminum frame, some sort of 450cc motor, and EFI.

But I dont know shiit for sure, as nobody does, so my opinion is just that, my opinion, no more valid or invalid than anyone elses.

But if im right...........?

trout

TheRedRebel17
07-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by MNmxblaster37

trueblue450
07-17-2003, 10:37 AM
YAMAHA ALL THE WAY :scary: :bandit:

jwisniew
07-17-2003, 10:43 AM
if you ask me 4 years isnt that long of a wait for a new model, and im sure for the past years that we've been begging for a new quad honda has been going over every detail on whatever is coming out next. Honda is taking the time to make a great quad and not rushing into things like evryone else.

TheRedRebel17
07-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by jwisniew
if you ask me 4 years isnt that long of a wait for a new model, and im sure for the past years that we've been begging for a new quad honda has been going over every detail on whatever is coming out next. Honda is taking the time to make a great quad and not rushing into things like evryone else.

Stuff like that cracks me up

jwisniew
07-17-2003, 11:13 AM
Stuff like that cracks me up

well its just my opinion i guess.....you must know way more than me with your connections to god and all

TheRedRebel17
07-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by jwisniew
well its just my opinion i guess.....you must know way more than me with your connections to god and all

nah.. no connections for me..its called R&D...you should think about it someday..IF you ever get your head outta honda's *** ;)

QuadJunkies
07-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Sept. 12 is the day of the dealer show.
you would presume they would announce then.

everything else is speculation, from motor, to frame, to fuel delivery.

I personally think what I originally posted when I started this thread

aluminum frame, some sort of 450cc motor, and EFI.

But I dont know shiit for sure, as nobody does, so my opinion is just that, my opinion, no more valid or invalid than anyone elses.

But if im right...........?

trout I just talked to one of the guys at Honda dealer today, and he is headed out for the show.He says he thinks they will announce then......;)

400EXrider#91
07-17-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"
all I have to say ...is ...SEEING is BELEIVING

dirtriderex
07-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Come on!!:grr: when the 400 came out you were not impressed B.S., You rode it to your limits please:p . Is that why they stopped making the 250rs. So you gave it to your sister and she was not impressed, I doubt you even have a sister or a set of balls:macho

goin2shock
07-17-2003, 05:12 PM
Honda has released their 04 line a
long time ago,no
sport 450 on there, that means no sport 450 coming out from Honda this fall,maybe in the future,not this fall. maybe a mid year deal!

JUSTINcredible
07-17-2003, 05:54 PM
i think they are waiting for the yammi to settle down a little bit and then go in for the kill when they release theirs

Honda4trax250x
07-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by goin2shock
long time ago,no
sport 450 on there, that means no sport 450 coming out from Honda this fall,maybe in the future,not this fall. maybe a mid year deal!

yep;)

CBRSLIDER
07-17-2003, 08:41 PM
For the idiot that was commenting on the sport bikes. The 600RR won the sport bike shootout in more than one of the sport bike mags. And for the R1 winning the open bike shootout. WRONG. The Suzuki has smacked around the R1 two years in a row. So get your chit straight.

As for the up coming release from Honda. Everything is speculation. But to sit here and pound the Yammi drum, as the cutting edge. Give me a break. Yamaha sat on their fat azzes for years relying on the fabulously high tech Warrior and cuttin dull edged banshee. They sat on their butts until honda finally built the 400ex. The raptor is not for everyone and has had it's fair share of reliability problems. But yamaha had to answer with something.

Their answer being the yfz or fzy, what ever it is. My opinion of the quad is that it's pretty nice from what I've seen. I haven't rode one yet so my judgement has been reserved for that. But is it the answer to everyone's dreams. NO. There couldn't be a quad that answers everyone's demands. But to sit and criticize honda when you have no clue what's around the corner. Give it a break.

Honda has been slow to release their products but their products have had less reliability problems. I have owned a honda, kawasaki, and a suzuki. The honda's have been by far a superior product. I know. But I didn't ever buy a yamaha. I didn't need to. I towed my friends yamaha out of the woods way too many times to run out and buy one. So call me brand loyal, I just call it smart.

And back on beating the yamaha drum. The banshee uses a late 70's early 80's street bike motor and has had minimal changes since it's intro in 87. Ooooohhhh. J arms to a-arms. Cuttin edge. The warrior has had just about zero changes since it's inception back in the late 80's. And the honda's of that era, 250x and 300ex, held their own quite well against the warrior. Unfortunately honda didn't have a 2 smoke which I at least give yamaha credit for continueing their banshee run, though it didn't impress me. But hey it's not for everyone.

And for those that are not impressed by the EX. Oh well. At least it got the ball rolling. You people are the kind of people that would see the bad in anything anyways. So really who cares. It fired up the rest of the oem's to produce. Now we have a great pool of quads and even more to come.

Also people. Many of you degrade the ex for it's lack of performance. But many of you don't even realize that it's performance is better than most of you could ever dream of being. So instead you bash it. Instead of admitting your lack of skill. Blame something else. I deal with it everyday.

Oh well. I'm sitting here rambling due to severe exhaustion, and figure that all I'm doing is setting up the next flame fest. So bring on the bs.

Ray

btw-I feel that yamaha rushed their new quad out early to get a head start on sales due to being worried about the upcoming release from honda. Fear is a good motivator on their part. hope it works. AND the whole honda line has not been released for 04.

MOFO
07-18-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by CBRSLIDER
For the idiot that was commenting on the sport bikes. The 600RR won the sport bike shootout in more than one of the sport bike mags. And for the R1 winning the open bike shootout. WRONG. The Suzuki has smacked around the R1 two years in a row. So get your chit straight.

As for the up coming release from Honda. Everything is speculation. But to sit here and pound the Yammi drum, as the cutting edge. Give me a break. Yamaha sat on their fat azzes for years relying on the fabulously high tech Warrior and cuttin dull edged banshee. They sat on their butts until honda finally built the 400ex. The raptor is not for everyone and has had it's fair share of reliability problems. But yamaha had to answer with something.

Their answer being the yfz or fzy, what ever it is. My opinion of the quad is that it's pretty nice from what I've seen. I haven't rode one yet so my judgement has been reserved for that. But is it the answer to everyone's dreams. NO. There couldn't be a quad that answers everyone's demands. But to sit and criticize honda when you have no clue what's around the corner. Give it a break.

Honda has been slow to release their products but their products have had less reliability problems. I have owned a honda, kawasaki, and a suzuki. The honda's have been by far a superior product. I know. But I didn't ever buy a yamaha. I didn't need to. I towed my friends yamaha out of the woods way too many times to run out and buy one. So call me brand loyal, I just call it smart.

And back on beating the yamaha drum. The banshee uses a late 70's early 80's street bike motor and has had minimal changes since it's intro in 87. Ooooohhhh. J arms to a-arms. Cuttin edge. The warrior has had just about zero changes since it's inception back in the late 80's. And the honda's of that era, 250x and 300ex, held their own quite well against the warrior. Unfortunately honda didn't have a 2 smoke which I at least give yamaha credit for continueing their banshee run, though it didn't impress me. But hey it's not for everyone.

And for those that are not impressed by the EX. Oh well. At least it got the ball rolling. You people are the kind of people that would see the bad in anything anyways. So really who cares. It fired up the rest of the oem's to produce. Now we have a great pool of quads and even more to come.

Also people. Many of you degrade the ex for it's lack of performance. But many of you don't even realize that it's performance is better than most of you could ever dream of being. So instead you bash it. Instead of admitting your lack of skill. Blame something else. I deal with it everyday.

Oh well. I'm sitting here rambling due to severe exhaustion, and figure that all I'm doing is setting up the next flame fest. So bring on the bs.

Ray

btw-I feel that yamaha rushed their new quad out early to get a head start on sales due to being worried about the upcoming release from honda. Fear is a good motivator on their part. hope it works. AND the whole honda line has not been released for 04.

damn! Someone buy this man a beer or two. Very good post! :D

07-18-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6

I agree with Ray 100%

07-18-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by edgerat
BLAH BLAH BLAH BSBSBSBSBS When was the last time besides the 600RR that Honda released a ground-breaking sport bike that WON any comparison? NEVER! And you know why? Because Honda likes to play the safe luke-warm game. They dont take risks and they never step up to the plate with a bike like the YFZ450. Because they are pussies when it comes to doing that kind of thing. And everyone blathers on and on about Honda reliability, yeah Honda's dont have many issues with them but when you arent pushing the limits of design you dont exceed the limits of products. If honda releases a 450 sport quad that wins a comparison test between the YFZ and it I will gladly sidle up to the table and eat my words but for now, Eat shat Honda. you have let me down and released mediocre BS for far too long for me to put up with it anymore. yamaha stepped up to the plate and delivered the knock-out punch and if and when Honda releases a new quad I am willing to bet it will be some luke-warm SAFE POS.
And as for the looks on the faces of the YFZ owners(of which I am one) I imagine it will be something like this http://www.smilies.okipages.com/s/ups/DeNiro/up_yours.gifbecause I for one and tired of the lame-*** attempts at trying to keep up.
Isaac
i agree compltetely....honestly,honda will just barely put itself over the new yamaha. yamaha has released 2 quads that kill the 400ex since the 400ex came out. Everyone sitting back and saying,"lets see what honda does to keep up with that" when the freakin raptor came out..3 1/2 years later,nothing. Suzuki took the 400ex frame and everything,designed a better engine and spit in there face. i wouldnt be surprised if we see a z400 in red. Honda lives for the moment,not the future. they throw something out the will be accepted for a little while,and then when the time comes to step it up because YAMAHA and SUZUKI and even POLARIS are taking near chances designing BRAND NEW BIKES Honda will wait a few years and just join the crowd with something that PASSES not EXCEEDS. honda is a big let down,i cant say much for the dirtbike industry or street bike,and i know that the new honda will be nice,but i dont think it will severely shut down the yfz450.

400grl
07-18-2003, 03:35 AM
Wow........maybe there is a reason Honda didn't "answer the call" when it came to the Raptor - not much to answer there except poor handling, a motor that tears the rest of the quad apart piece by piece because it's too dam powerful, and a tranny that keeps crapping out.

I too feel that Yammy rushed their new FUZZY.........I think they have to get their sales in while they can.

Just my totally unasked for .02........;)

And I finally do have brand loyalty - after learning the hard way. And I don't think that's a bad thing.........:)

86atc250r
07-18-2003, 05:47 AM
Ray addressed most of the idiots here, but I thought I'd address this comment:

long time ago,no sport 450 on there, that means no sport 450 coming out from Honda this fall,maybe in the future,not this fall. maybe a mid year deal!

Honda has a long history of introducing new models at the September dealer show, as well as in the spring of each new year.

The 400EX was one noteworthy model introduced at the annual dealer show in September of 1998 & was available for purchase immediately, much like Yamaha has done with their YFZ450 this year.

On the EFI subject, I'm personally hoping that they stick with an FCR carb. The carb is much easier & cheaper to deal with when it comes to modifying the engine - Not to mention, lighter weight, less complex, and more reliable.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone not unfamiliar with EFI - I've converted two of my carbureted cars to EFI, and have even programmed my own EFI calibration tuning software (for both Cannondales and GM TPI engines).

As for those of you down on the 400EX - consider this.... The z400, the Predator, and the Raptor have all been out a while now. The 400EX is still out there winning races. The Raptor is no competition in anything but a straight line drag, and even then, it doesn't do much unless heavily modified.

The Z400 is about equal competition, the engine can be made to be stronger, but the quad suffers reliability trouble, especially the chassis. All in all, a 400EX rider has nothing to more to fear lined up next to a Z than lined up next to another 400EX.

Predator - interesting bike, but certainly not out there dominating any of the race scene.

Until now, Honda has had little motivation to pour any capital into offering a new model to replace the 400EX or compete with other company's offerings. The 400EX is the best selling ATV of all time, why mess with a good thing until sales fall? Remeber, Honda is manufacturing quads to make money, not to shut up Yamaha fans.

If you doubt what I'm saying about the 400EX and racing, you apparently don't spend much time at the track and see what regular folks are winning on (sure some of the Pro's may be riding other stuff, but comparing the production quads to what the pro's race is apples to oranges). Until the release of the YFZ450, Hondas (250R's and 400EX's) win practically everything, with an LTZ mixed in here and there.

Pappy
07-18-2003, 06:03 AM
you tell them gabe:macho

cjpoole1
07-18-2003, 06:03 AM
The CRF kicked every 4-stroke bikes A** as well. So go crash your yammi and have a good day:cuss: :cuss:
Not in GNCC....Honda what??? Which is why I got a YFZ cause I plan on racing XC and The Yamaha 450 bike dominates.

Overall Finish Results 256 Entries
Place Racer Hometown Class Nbr Brand Laps Elapsed
1 Barry Hawk, Jr Smithfield, PA Pro 006 YAM 6 02:50:33
2 Jason Raines Belfair, WA Pro 005 YAM 6 02:50:36
3 Rodney Smith Antioch, CA Pro 001 SUZ 6 02:51:08
4 Fred Andrews Salem, OH Pro 003 KAW 6 02:53:15
5 Steve Hatch Scottsdale, AZ Pro 004 SUZ 6 02:53:41
6 Michael Lafferty Millville, NJ Pro 007 KTM 6 02:54:19
7 Scott Summers Petersburg, KY Vet A 227 HON 6 02:54:47
8 Randy Hawkins Travelers Rest, SC Pro 010 YAM 6 02:56:03
9 Doug Blackwell Parkerburg, WV Pro 015 HON 6 02:56:28
10 Robbie Jenks New Straitsville, OH Pro 008 YAM 6 02:57:19
11 Joshua Mclevy Fairfield, CT Pro 711 YAM 6 02:58:43
12 Jason Greer SMITHFIELD, VA Pro 175 YAM 6 03:01:52
13 Nathan Kanney High Falls, NY 250 A 378 YAM 6 03:02:52
14 Ryan Rodgers Dover, PA 250 A 013 YAM 6 03:03:46
15 Jim Jarrett Beloit, OH Pro 016 YAM 6 03:04:37
16 Gregory Gillian Cross Lanes, WV 250 A 083 YAM 6 03:04:49
17 John Barber Aliquippa, PA 250 A 033 YAM 6 03:05:51
18 Jesse Robinson Connellys Spg, NC 250 A 216 KAW 6 03:06:39
19 Joshua Summey Stanley, NC Pro 267 YAM 6 03:07:28
20 Andy Grider Los Olivos, CA Pro 325 HON 6 03:09:42

400grl
07-18-2003, 06:06 AM
Aren't those custom racers (the Yamaha's mentioned?) Those aren't the new Yamaha are they? That's a whole different ball game if those are custom racers.........just wondering.

cjpoole1
07-18-2003, 06:13 AM
those are bikes not quads, but the YFZ motor is a combination of the wr450 and yz450 motor.

400grl
07-18-2003, 06:14 AM
Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!! LOL! I feel dumb. And blond. :D

Glow Plug
07-18-2003, 06:25 AM
OK you guys are such b.s. ers who say the 400ex didn't impress you? I'm sure the banshee did when it had nothin to compare against?? YEah sure the 400ex never was the fastest but you could have a 70 hp quad and it would be the fastest think ever but what if the frame and suspension was not up to par your not going to have to much fun on that are you??? And I don't give a toss about a quads top speed well over 80 percent of atv riders are gonig out the drag strip every week end and racing.

And I be the z400 was just ssssooooo to design emmm yeah lets just take a dirt bike motor that we already have copy the 400ex frame and combine the raptors and 400ex plastic. YEah I bet that took some skill to design. :rolleyes:

IMO the only thing that WAS every better than the 400ex was a cannondale. Why? Because the Raptor lets see I don't think its to much fun ripping out the tranny to replace gears do you? And the z400? I don't think ANY frame should bend from trail riding a STOCK quad. Banshee and Ds 650?? THey are pretty much dune quads you can't go and ride a banshee for a day on the trail REALLY.

07-18-2003, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!! LOL! I feel dumb. And blond. :D

You still smoooooooooooooookin......:D

400grl
07-18-2003, 06:43 AM
:D

CBRSLIDER
07-18-2003, 09:15 AM
Wow. You mean I typed that this morning and it made sense. I was struggling just to stay awake. I tried several times to proof read it and make sure it made sense, but struggled miserably.

But seriously. Hey thanks for the backup guys. Honda has made a product that has covered the masses pretty well. It has made slow people fast, good racers better racers, and just the average joe think that he was pretty darn good. I look forward to the new honda no matter what it is. Will I be disappointed if it's not this or that. No. What I'll be disappointed about is that I don't have the money to buy one. I have and have always had faith in honda. Call it brand loyalty but I just call it common sense. You go buy whatever you want and I'll back whatever I want. Then we'll settle our differences at the track.

Thanks for reading.

Ray

-I'll be looking to collect my beers here starting on the 24th when I start my long awaited and anticipated vacation. So you can either send them to me or contact my friendly neighborhood distributor. He know's what I like and will deliver it without hesitation. :D

Tommy 17
07-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by VWVR6

amen to that....

ray i totaly agree with u...:macho

MOFO
07-18-2003, 10:39 AM

-I'll be looking to collect my beers here starting on the 24th when I start my long awaited and anticipated vacation. So you can either send them to me or contact my friendly neighborhood distributor. He know's what I like and will deliver it without hesitation. :D

I'll tell you what, you make it to the H/M ride in sept (last weekend) and you'll have a case of beer waitin for ya... :D

Doibugu2
07-18-2003, 11:11 AM
I really don't care what comes out. I still like my 400. I don't care what anyone says, there are very few guys on this site that can truely ride the 400 past it's limits. And I'm not in that catergory. So for most, quit whining about what's or when something is coming out and get to riding.

Gabe, nice post, glad to see your back.

rigged400ex
07-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Isaac look at the cr250.... honda didnt play it safe there.. aluminum frame, elecronic power vavles. and i saw one of those gay yamahas in action. it didnt realy impress me... i could put 2000 in to a 400 ex and have a better bike:rolleyes:

Sparky416ex
07-18-2003, 11:43 AM

Ray

your right when you say everything....but expecially when you said people dont realize the power in that 400ex motor...last night i went to the johnson county fair drags....there were a lot of serious people there...you couldnt even open your eyes because of all the alchohol!!...there were raptors, z's, bomb's, pred's, all runnin alchohol!!...there was a 250R there with a lonestar racing frame +10 swingarm a-arms 4-snow tires....the whole package....guess what won the unlimited class....a 400ex....i myself could hardly believe it...it must have had a stroker kit but all it had was tires, and handlbars, no other drag upgrades what so ever!!!!....it was unbelievable!! i wish i could prove it but i forgot my digi camera....i coulda taken a movie....i was so mad at myself

rigged400ex
07-18-2003, 11:45 AM
The 400 was a huge let down for me as a racer because honda put an archaic engine in a sport quad chassis so I dont see how it was a landmark in technology. Granted they didnt have much else to put in there but dont act like the EX was the end it be all of sport quads. Yeah, it is a good trail quad(just like the XR) but that is about where it ends. The CR's aluminum frame wasn't that big of a stretch in my opinion and how many years did it take them to get it close to rideable for the average person?? 3. And as far as the proof of Honda's not being able to hang with Yam in the sportbike scene just pick up any mag like Sport Rider and see who they pick in a 600 shootout or an open class shootout. You can bet your *** that isnt the lazy F4i or the 954rr. It is the R1 and the R6. I will give Honda props that the CRF is a great all together bike but as far as it kicking the YZ's asses PROVE IT! I havent seen it anywhere. I know it is a damn sight easier to get a CRF off the showroom than it is a YZF. The only reason for that is demand is much higher for the Yamaha. I am not a brand loyal dip-shat that carries a flag for Yamaha or any other company. I have owned prolly a dozen 250rs in the last few years and I even tried to own a 400ex but was so disgusted with it I sold it to my little sister who whined because it didnt have enough power for her. I am a big 250r guy and I will stand up and chant the praises of the R for the rest of my life but as far as Honda stepping up in ATV racing scene and releasing this supposed FI alum framed 50hp race quad. I will reserve judgement for now. Now you go crash your POS EX and have a great day.... :)
Isaac yamaha dosent even have a good chassis to put there engine in:rolleyes: :mad:

dirtriderex
07-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Man, this was the most intense thread so far, and it seems that most of ous just like Honda and it's reputation. as for rigged400ex, quoting" up yours", I think your a disgrace to the Honda race.

rigged400ex
07-18-2003, 02:09 PM
Man, this was the most intense thread so far, and it seems that most of ous just like Honda and it's reputation. as for rigged400ex, quoting" up yours", I think your a disgrace to the Honda race. what are you talking about.... i cant even understand what you trieing to say:rolleyes:

dirtriderex
07-18-2003, 03:38 PM
oops sorry rigged400ex, my apology, I mean Edgerat

KASCHAK
07-18-2003, 04:18 PM
well lets see here. blaster - 250r only 50 cc more and the 250r kicks as*

lets see again. warrior - 400ex again only 50 cc difference and ive yet to see a warrior come close to beating me.

350banshee - 250r sure the bigger one if gunna win but the 250r isnt ar far back as the warrior compared to the 400 or the blaster compared to the 250r.

if honda comes out with a new quad it wont be a 450. they have a 400 out already. 50cc more no i think it will be a 500 possibly. but again for the racing it needs to be 440. when honda comes out with there new quad its gunna be inovative its guna be reliable and its gunna haul azzz

rigged400ex
07-18-2003, 04:35 PM
oops sorry rigged400ex, my apology, I mean Edgerat lol:D

wilkin250r
07-18-2003, 06:51 PM
I said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm not loyal to any brand. But I've seen people towing Raptors. I've seen people towing Warriors. I've seen people towing LT250's and quadzillas. I've seen a TON of people towing banshees.

I've never seen anybody towing a Honda.

Merriman
07-18-2003, 08:24 PM
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in....and this is as honest as I can be:

I am a Honda brand loyalist, I've been that way my whole life. My grandfather owned one of the first ATC's back in 1970, and we've ran nothing but hondas since. I myself have owned over 10 different hondas, from ATC's to quads, and dirtbikes, I've ridden them all. 3 of my uncles raced Hondas professionally, and one even got picked up by Honda themselves for a full factory ride back when they had ATC's. My cousin raced for years with Temecula Motorsports on their Honda fourtrax 250R, and he raves about them still......

........All has now changed though, I've purchased the YFZ 450 (my first non-honda), and with the four hours I have on this bike it has really opened my eyes. This bike has more power than any bike I have ever rode STOCK, (I have not ridden a cannondale, so I can not compare to that) I've raced it along side a Z400, and a 400ex, both with pipes, and some airbox mods, nothing to fancy, and with my bike stock ( I did not take out the "pea shooter", or remove the airbox lid) I beat them by an easy 5+ bike lengths in the 100yards we had to drag race in. I raced a predator today (he had a custom header, and pipe) and again I beat him, but only by about 1 bike length. You know how we all rave about the 400ex, and how well it handles in the air, well this bike is just as good, it is very predictable, and easy to correct. One thing I really like about it is, since I used to ride alot of dirtbikes, I grip with my knees, and thighs. This bike is as narrow as my last CR 250 that I've owned in the gas tank, and front seat area, that I can grip it better than I could any quad.....it may sound weird, but I like it :blah: The suspension.....I haven't messed with any of the settings, and I have never rode with anything but stock 400ex / z400 suspension, so the suspension is a little stiff for my tastes, but it lands much smoother than the 400ex, and Z400. It only took about half a lap to get the feel for the bike, and after a few test laps, I was able to go out and clear all the jumps at my local track with out near the effort I have to put forth with my 400ex. To me the Powerband on the YFZ feels more like a 2-stroke than a 4-stroke (comparing my 400ex to my TRX / ATC 250R) My 400ex has alot more lowend, but it lacks up top (my motor is stock with a curtis sparks X-6 exhaust, and a 40mm FCR carb) compared to the YFZ. The YFZ acts more like a 2-stroke because all the power is in the mid to upper rpms, and this bike seems to rev to the moon. I like the feel of 2-strokes better than 4-strokes so this is a plus for me. I think Yamaha has really done a great job on this bike, and it has made me less of a brand loyalist....(I'm still keeping both my ATC 250R's) I can only hope Honda can meet the YFZ, and if they exceed it I for one will be very very impressed........Will I buy the new Honda when it comes out? No. The YFZ to me is that good.

Now on to somethings I don't like about the YFZ....
I stand at 6'1", and the handle bars are about and inch and a half to low for my likings ( I also like ape hanger bars though?? :macho)
I seem to hit neutral more often than I do on my honda(400ex), maybe I'm still adjusting to blue, and my body doesn't like it :D
The seat is super hard, as in I can carve an extra one out of wood.
The suspension feels really stiff to me, but the harder I pound the bike on the track, the better it feels.......could be a plus or minus...
Not alot of lowend, but I hear a slip on pipe takes care of the problem.

I personally don't think that you could by a new 400ex for MSRP of 5699.00 based on Honda's website (http://www.hondamotorcycles.com/atvs/sport/model.asp?ModelName=Sportrax+400EX&ModelYear=2004&ModelId=TRX400EX4) add in the $1200.00 worth of any parts you want and be faster on it than you could be on the YFZ 450 for 6899.00 MSRP.......I'm going off of MSRP to make it a fair comparison between the 2 bikes, not saying my brothers friend's uncle's cousin college roomate can get me a 400ex for $1200.00 OTD, and I'll add the 5699.00 to it and kick the YFZ's @$$, that's not fair in a new bike comparison.:ermm:

I really think Yamaha came out with a top notch product that we all can benefit from whether we are racing aboard it, or racing against it, this bike can only be a major step forward in the ATV industry. I hope it only gets better from here.......

310Rduner
07-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I said it before, and I'll say it again, I'm not loyal to any brand. But I've seen people towing Raptors. I've seen people towing Warriors. I've seen people towing LT250's and quadzillas. I've seen a TON of people towing banshees.

you will when your piston finally goes .. i get towed back then.. but pretty much Only then..lmao.. but that isnt fair.. it did take a locked up engine to tow me back..:muscle:

310Rduner
07-18-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Merriman
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in....and this is as honest as I can be:

I am a Honda brand loyalist, I've been that way my whole life. My grandfather owned one of the first ATC's back in 1970, and we've ran nothing but hondas since. I myself have owned over 10 different hondas, from ATC's to quads, and dirtbikes, I've ridden them all. 3 of my uncles raced Hondas professionally, and one even got picked up by Honda themselves for a full factory ride back when they had ATC's. My cousin raced for years with Temecula Motorsports on their Honda fourtrax 250R, and he raves about them still......

........All has now changed though, I've purchased the YFZ 450 (my first non-honda), and with the four hours I have on this bike it has really opened my eyes. This bike has more power than any bike I have ever rode STOCK, (I have not ridden a cannondale, so I can not compare to that) I've raced it along side a Z400, and a 400ex, both with pipes, and some airbox mods, nothing to fancy, and with my bike stock ( I did not take out the "pea shooter", or remove the airbox lid) I beat them by an easy 5+ bike lengths in the 100yards we had to drag race in. I raced a predator today (he had a custom header, and pipe) and again I beat him, but only by about 1 bike length. You know how we all rave about the 400ex, and how well it handles in the air, well this bike is just as good, it is very predictable, and easy to correct. One thing I really like about it is, since I used to ride alot of dirtbikes, I grip with my knees, and thighs. This bike is as narrow as my last CR 250 that I've owned in the gas tank, and front seat area, that I can grip it better than I could any quad.....it may sound weird, but I like it :blah: The suspension.....I haven't messed with any of the settings, and I have never rode with anything but stock 400ex / z400 suspension, so the suspension is a little stiff for my tastes, but it lands much smoother than the 400ex, and Z400. It only took about half a lap to get the feel for the bike, and after a few test laps, I was able to go out and clear all the jumps at my local track with out near the effort I have to put forth with my 400ex. To me the Powerband on the YFZ feels more like a 2-stroke than a 4-stroke (comparing my 400ex to my TRX / ATC 250R) My 400ex has alot more lowend, but it lacks up top (my motor is stock with a curtis sparks X-6 exhaust, and a 40mm FCR carb) compared to the YFZ. The YFZ acts more like a 2-stroke because all the power is in the mid to upper rpms, and this bike seems to rev to the moon. I like the feel of 2-strokes better than 4-strokes so this is a plus for me. I think Yamaha has really done a great job on this bike, and it has made me less of a brand loyalist....(I'm still keeping both my ATC 250R's) I can only hope Honda can meet the YFZ, and if they exceed it I for one will be very very impressed........Will I buy the new Honda when it comes out? No. The YFZ to me is that good.

Now on to somethings I don't like about the YFZ....
I stand at 6'1", and the handle bars are about and inch and a half to low for my likings ( I also like ape hanger bars though?? :macho)
I seem to hit neutral more often than I do on my honda(400ex), maybe I'm still adjusting to blue, and my body doesn't like it :D
The seat is super hard, as in I can carve an extra one out of wood.
The suspension feels really stiff to me, but the harder I pound the bike on the track, the better it feels.......could be a plus or minus...
Not alot of lowend, but I hear a slip on pipe takes care of the problem.

I personally don't think that you could by a new 400ex for MSRP of 5699.00 based on Honda's website (http://www.hondamotorcycles.com/atvs/sport/model.asp?ModelName=Sportrax+400EX&ModelYear=2004&ModelId=TRX400EX4) add in the $1200.00 worth of any parts you want and be faster on it than you could be on the YFZ 450 for 6899.00 MSRP.......I'm going off of MSRP to make it a fair comparison between the 2 bikes, not saying my brothers friend's uncle's cousin college roomate can get me a 400ex for $1200.00 OTD, and I'll add the 5699.00 to it and kick the YFZ's @$$, that's not fair in a new bike comparison.:ermm:

I really think Yamaha came out with a top notch product that we all can benefit from whether we are racing aboard it, or racing against it, this bike can only be a major step forward in the ATV industry. I hope it only gets better from here.......

good post:macho i deffinately applaud Yamaha.. I sometimes think that without competition, Honda could really give a rats arse about steping up on the power and just all around making and even better bike. Because they know how many people would still buy it.. why shouldnt they wait a few more years to release something new.. they are still making lots of sales.

and dont think i dont like Honda based on what i just said.. i still think Honda made the best bike in history ( R obviously...:rolleyes: )

trueblue450
07-19-2003, 06:59 AM
all i have to say is honda has had no reason to make a new 450 quad.. the 400ex (as much as everyone dogs it) has been a great quad. It still wins most of the local races. all the other brands still have trouble hanging with honda. So if you were in hondas seat why would they work on somethig they still are in the top of, next to the yfz. If anything they probably just started working on a new model, let alone been working on it for 4 years.. I just think you will all be in disappointment when they dont realease a new quad this sept.

And why since they have a 400 would they make a 450. if anything it will be a dam 650 quad. then they will have to put reverse on the 650 since they wouldnt add it to the 400.. they just dont have room in their line up if you look at it. they wouldnt get rid of the 300 cuz no reverse on the 400. they wouldnt get rid of the 250 cuz they just came out with it, but what do I know....

all i have to say is buyin my quad has been the best thing i did, it aint the fastest but I still have just as much fun as any of you out there. so just ride what you want to.. if youre any good you will still beat everyone else. just like i win on my 300ex over 400exs rapturds 250rs bombardiers z400s.... now theres no reason other than skill there. so just ride what you got and be happy.

trx400ex
07-19-2003, 08:30 AM
all i know is my 425ex doesnt have enough power to win against the bikes i race against, and there will be a yfz in my garage soon, and i will bet my life i wont have as many broken parts lying around for it as i do my 400ex

jwisniew
07-19-2003, 08:38 AM
yea nice post merriman, thats the most complete review ive read on the yfz so far

MOFO
07-20-2003, 06:32 AM
You guys need to realized that the new powerplant is NOT going to just be 40-50 cc's larger than a 400EX motor...it will be a completely different motor all together.

MOFO
07-20-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
and i will bet my life i wont have as many broken parts lying around for it as i do my 400ex

thats a bet I would never make...

250exen
07-20-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by KASCHAK
well lets see here. blaster - 250r only 50 cc more and the 250r kicks as*

lets see again. warrior - 400ex again only 50 cc difference and ive yet to see a warrior come close to beating me.

350banshee - 250r sure the bigger one if gunna win but the 250r isnt ar far back as the warrior compared to the 400 or the blaster compared to the 250r.

im going to add to your post

400ex vs raptor - what is it? 260cc difference. whos gonna win? of corse the raptor but by how much? not much for sure, that is if the raptor stays together while racing.

just my 2 cents

NTPRacing#19
07-20-2003, 08:56 AM
im planning on buying the new yfz 450 becuase it will be much cheaper for me and i will be able to find a used for next season. who cares i really kinda matured as a racer this year and i found out that brand name aint really mean shiat. every frame is gonna break, every motor will blow, every thing can break when riding riding it hard. you as an owner have to be smart and prepare the bike for the punishment it will take.

Merriman
07-20-2003, 09:15 AM
I just came back from a race and saw Kory Ellis ride his YFZ, and it is way fast. He took the overall in the pro class, with a 2-1 for both motos, and one of our friends came in second with a 1-2. Ellis pulled the hole shot both times vs. 2 CRF 450 bikes, 2 Cannon Dales (both were built), 1 YZ 426, and 1 built 250R.

In the first Moto though Rudy Gonzales passed Ellis on his Cannondale, and never looked back. The Second moto Ellis got out front, and Rudy got stuck behind some slower bikes so Ellis checked out. In Defense of the YFZ, this is Ellis's first time ever at this track, and he only got 5 laps of practice before they raced. Rudy on his Cannondale is also a PRO ranked racer, and this is his home town track that we all go to every friday night.

In the Amateur class A kid on a YFZ also won with a 1-1 for both moto's. I think the YFZ is going to be a new force to be recon'd with.

Here's a shot of Ellis being passed by Rudy aboard his cannondale.....

http://members.cox.net/crazie666/DSC00029.JPG

Sparky416ex
07-20-2003, 04:31 PM
sweet pic

440exnacsracer
07-20-2003, 05:43 PM
well this post started out as a new honda is coming out....as hundreds of posts have started out on this site....i hope you all arent just getting hyped up again....me well i used to love honda, but i got tired of waiting...now i ride on a predator and i love it.....but im not loyal to polaris, if someone gave me a yfz, id ride the hell out of it, if someone gave me a cdale, id ride the hell out of it....honda has been kinda womanish about comin out with a new sport quad....i think they focus on sport bike and mx bikes too much.......just my 2 cent

KASCHAK
07-20-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

ive only seen one honda ever been towed and it was a good one. this guy on a 440ex with lrd pipes. was riding arond and went off a little jump and landed and a rock went inbetweetn the starter and the topend. broke a hole in top end and ripped the case in half. there were a bunch on warriors around and he waited for me to get back to tow him. dont want no yamaha towing him around.:D

KASCHAK
07-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 250exen
im going to add to your post

400ex vs raptor - what is it? 260cc difference. whos gonna win? of corse the raptor but by how much? not much for sure, that is if the raptor stays together while racing.

just my 2 cents

see i usually get the raptors off the line. they have pipes fiters and usualyy bored alil. i get them till about 3rd gear then they pass me and if there not dikcs i stay behind them pretty good if they dont dust me out. but on the drag were they gotta go straight i get them almost 3/4 the way. im gunna get flames but i do ad right at the 3/4 they fly by me at like 80 mph i get beat every time but i get them almost all the way.

capecod400ex
07-20-2003, 06:22 PM
well my 2 cents is that edgerat shouldent come up into a HONDA fourm and try to stuff how great this YZF is up are @ss's u wanna do that go play with all the other yzf fan's on blue traxx's , also i think that they shouldent go geting off on how great the yzf is how long did it take the raptor tannys to fail? about a year pending on how much u ride, how long has this yzf been out a couple mounths. so well all jsut have to wait and see....
btw if the 400ex is so much worrse than a raptor, why is thaire more 400ex on the MX track than raptors.

Sparky416ex
07-20-2003, 06:31 PM
i can say right now...not that anyone cares....in sept if honda is a no show, i will be too to there dealership...

ill be across the street lookin at a yfz...by sept some reliability reports will be out on them!

07-21-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by NTPRacing#19
im planning on buying the new yfz 450 becuase it will be much cheaper for me and i will be able to find a used for next season. who cares i really kinda matured as a racer this year and i found out that brand name aint really mean shiat. every frame is gonna break, every motor will blow, every thing can break when riding riding it hard. you as an owner have to be smart and prepare the bike for the punishment it will take.
well said..:cool: