PDA

View Full Version : putting pc stuff in kitchen oven?

Martin Blair
07-15-2003, 07:00 PM
If i buy a cheap opc gun kit just to i can pc my own stuff and charge a few freidns can i put stamm parts ie hubs, pedels, shifters, stemms, maybe subframes in my moms kitchen oven if she approves? what kind of temops does pc cure at and for how long?

toby400ex
07-15-2003, 08:06 PM
ur mom must have a huge oven, i dont think a stem would fit

danney f
07-15-2003, 08:13 PM
I really don't recommend putting powder-coated parts in an oven that is going to be used to cook with. The powder puts of an odor when it is being baked, I wear a carbon-filtered respirator when I pull parts from the oven.
I have a standard kitchen oven that I use for smaller parts, than I have "big bertha" for things such as frames and what not.
I have baked a stock 250x stem in the kitchen oven before.

QuadTrix6
07-16-2003, 03:48 AM
if you use the oven for PC ..you can NEVER put food in it

QuadTrix6
07-16-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by danney f
I really don't recommend putting powder-coated parts in an oven that is going to be used to cook with. The powder puts of an odor when it is being baked, I wear a carbon-filtered respirator when I pull parts from the oven.
I have a standard kitchen oven that I use for smaller parts, than I have "big bertha" for things such as frames and what not.
I have baked a stock 250x stem in the kitchen oven before.

How hot does your oven get ?, and is this dangerouse if the oven is gas ?

K_Fulk
07-16-2003, 09:55 AM
I just went to salvation army and bought a oven for $20, works great.

TeamC&GRacer
07-16-2003, 10:05 AM
sure ya can... i cook food in the oven i pc with all the time!! :D :D :macho

shamisc
07-16-2003, 10:07 AM
How hot does it need to be? 450?:confused:

danney f
07-16-2003, 01:47 PM
400 degrees is all you really need the oven to reach, but mine goes up to 900
most parts bake between 350 and 400

TeamC&GRacer
07-16-2003, 02:45 PM
what.. you guys dont eat food that you pc in ??? i think i missed that part in the manuel

400exBro
07-17-2003, 10:48 AM
so one post some pics of these Big Bertha Ovens??? i am planing on doing some of my own pcing, some little stuff first but if i get good i want to start doing some frames and stuff...

danney f
07-17-2003, 04:31 PM
Sorry I don't have any pics of it at this time. but it is almost 6' tall by 3.5' wide and 2.5' deep on the inside. and it really needs to be bigger, because I get a lot of bed rails, truck nurf bars, and bumbers.

QuadTrix6
07-19-2003, 11:50 AM
if you use a kitchen oven do you need to do it outdoors ? or can i do it in my hose, will there be fumes or can i leave the door open in my house and be fine ? thanks

400exBro
07-19-2003, 12:45 PM
Sorry I don't have any pics of it at this time. but it is almost 6' tall by 3.5' wide and 2.5' deep on the inside. and it really needs to be bigger, because I get a lot of bed rails, truck nurf bars, and bumbers.

what kind of oven is that???

i was wondering if you could make an oven using bricks, and some insulation and temp gauge, so your able to reach max temp for the parts to cure?? i have lots of good bricks laying around that i could make a small oven outside(but big enough to fit a frame and other parts all at once)??? the only thing is what to use to heat it up??

and i am pretty sure that there will be fumes and what not when you do it in your house... i am not to sure... but i know that you can't apply the powder on the parts inside becuase of the fumes that come out of the gun, it would kill you(if you don't have a breathing mask thing) and probably what ever else is living in your house....

WEEZIL
07-19-2003, 06:45 PM
i always thought the parts had to be magneticly charged.. and making a big brick oven would be cool but very hard to mantain i suggest getting the traders guide and looking around for beaten ovens.. but if your afro engineering happens to kick in please dont be stupid and make a wood fire. lol and i think if you used propane it MAY work. rip apart an old grill and get the burner out of it.

Martin Blair
07-19-2003, 07:39 PM
can you use like a big BBQ smoker for pc? but put a heating coil from a regular kitchen oven in there would that work?

2k2-300exnj
07-22-2003, 12:28 PM
DO NOT EAT OUT OF THE OVEN U PC IN THE POWDER IS TOXIC WHEN NOT CURED FUMES ARE DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH!

danney f
07-22-2003, 03:00 PM
nothing like cooking a turkey and haveing some candy red hubs on the side. MMMMMMM!:D

CHAUNCY
07-22-2003, 03:08 PM
nothing like cooking a turkey and haveing some candy red hubs on the side. MMMMMMM!:D

LMAO:p :macho

07-22-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 2k2-300exnj
DO NOT EAT OUT OF THE OVEN U PC IN THE POWDER IS TOXIC WHEN NOT CURED FUMES ARE DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH!
ahh ,,this explains what happened to someone I know ...he kinda went nuts after doing some "home cooked" powdercoating:rolleyes::blah:

stupid driver
07-28-2003, 04:09 PM
just git a big arse microwave, and nuke the crap outa the stuff. :rolleyes:

TeamC&GRacer
07-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 2k2-300exnj

uh o... i wish someone would have told me this sooner:eek2: :eek:

danney f
07-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Your jokeing right?
Before I bought my gun, I went through and read the online manuals for the powder guns and everyone that I read said do not use a oven for food use that has been used for bakeing powder coated parts.

TeamC&GRacer
07-29-2003, 05:09 AM
haha yeah im jokin, we were expecting to do the parts in our cooking oven, but when i got the manual it said DO NOT BAKE PARTS IN THE OVEN YOU COOK IN.. i was like :mad: :grr: so i went out and bought another oven