PDA

View Full Version : sparks timing key

ridered448
07-15-2003, 04:51 PM
hey anyone installed one on their 400ex? if so was it a ***** to put in or what, is it worth the 15 dollars, and the shipping? sounds pretty sweet, boost low-midrange power, it jsut sucks how you have to look the the spark plug hole to see if the piston's TDC..., well thanks for any feedback

TeamC&GRacer
07-15-2003, 05:00 PM
i heard its definitaly worth the 15 bucks, but you should not use them with a modded motor.. just recommended for a stock one

UglyMotha™
07-16-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by TeamC&GRacer
but you should not use them with a modded motor.. just recommended for a stock one

mine runs fine with it :ermm:

Bad Habit
07-16-2003, 03:00 AM
Ya, mine runs good with it too. But, it makes it run a tad hotter.

Saying a 400 runs a tad hotter is like saying pissing in the ocean makes the water a tad wetter:D

mikey726
07-28-2003, 01:22 AM
I can't say for sure what difference the key made because I put on a Sparks CDI at the same time, but it's not that hard, although I used an impact wrench to pull the flywheel. As for checking TDC through the spark plug hole, there's a better way: when you have the side case off, there's a pointer that lines up with the TDC mark on the flywheel. After you have the flywheel off, put it back on gently and use a large wrench on the flat spots of the flywheel hub to get it back to TDC. Then put in the Sparks key, rotate the flywheel itself forward to its new position and make a mark at the pointer. I used an engraving tool to make it permanent and I can check for TDC just like stock.
Mike

cheetah
07-28-2003, 05:54 AM
I feel it was worth the $15 for sure. Installation wasn't hard at all. I wrote an article on installation. Here is the link.

http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/sparks.html

hawiianpwr
07-28-2003, 09:51 AM
I had it in mine too Its worth getting and easy to put in.

northeast400
07-28-2003, 12:21 PM
just ordered mine