PDA

View Full Version : sprockets 14t vs 16v

400exRider12345
01-17-2002, 06:01 AM
Whats that sprockets do, when you put a 14t on or go to a 16t.? Is the 14t more top end and lose power, and the 16t, like total bottem end and you lose top end?

01-17-2002, 06:13 AM
I put a 14 on my 400 and lost some top speed but go threw the gears alot quicker. also good for big hill climbing. I'm thinking of tring a 16 but remember to use a 16 you cant use your sprocket guard so if you loose a chain you may crack your engine

400exRider12345
01-17-2002, 08:05 AM
whatis the difference between a 14 and a 16? What do the two concentrate on more, top end or low...i know that they are two different extreme ends of what you are looking for. Does anyone have a 14? anyone have a 16? who likes theirs and doesnt?

rhandw69
01-17-2002, 08:14 AM
With a 14t sprocket on a fairly stock motor, it will enhance your bottom end torque quite a bit. I think for trails and even hill climbing this is a plus. Now for the 16, on a fairly stock motor, you will lose that bottom end torque a bit, it mainly going to give you more top end, and longer to get to that top end.
Now if you have motor work done (bored, cammed etc) than i dont think a 14t is a way to go. THe reason for this is with a bigger bore, you have already increased your bottom end. WHen i put my 416 in, the first thing i did was put the 14t on. Bad move!!! I thought it was good when i didnt want to go fast,or if i was doing some hill climbing and i got great jumps on other bikes when dragging, but that was it. THen the other bikes caught up and there wastn much i could do. I just lost all my mid to top end pull.
So needless to say,,,,the 14 t is history.
I hope this helped.

400exRider12345
01-17-2002, 11:01 AM
thanks a lot for the help. I think I am going to thrw a 14 t on because i have a stock motor.

Blysster
01-17-2002, 03:16 PM
I have both a 14 and a 16 tfs. I only run the 16 since I mostly do fast trail riding and I had to shift way too often with the 14. The bottom end was great tho. Another thing I noticed is that I would it the rev limiter even in fifth with the 14 tooth. (with some mods before i got the WB rev box). This probably won't happen with the stock motor/exaust. I would only go back to the 14 if i was on a curvey MX track that you couldn't get much speed on.

Like 400excrasher said with the 16 tooth you have to remove the guard.. or grind it some to make the sprocket fit and you lose some bottom end. With the 16 you'd probably run out of power in 5th with a stock motor before you reach full speed.

Anyway to make a long story short i would stay with the stock 15 if i was you.. but then again that's just my opinion. That way you still have plenty of low end and lots of top end. It also depends on the kind of riding you plan on doing too i guess.

01-17-2002, 04:29 PM
i have a 16tooth front sprocket and i am still using my case guard.
the difference is not noticable at low rpm you have to get it revin before u can really feel a difference. and u have a lot of top end. bottom end u still have because u have a transmission. the difference is there but its not like trying to take off with the grab bar attacted to a full size vehicle.
its still just as easy to take off. and you will know when you do.
the 400ex has a load of bottom end the taller sprocket is only going to help. i like it alot because i actually have to use the tranny. with my stock 15 i felt like i had to shift almost constantly and like say if u were drag racing its more of a race of your foot vs the tranny how fast you can get it into fifth. you cant accelerate if u have the clutch in shifting. i do tight stuff also. u use 1st and sometimes 2nd just like you do stock.
i always wanted a 6th gear for my 400. and now i have it with my 16 tooth. i am very satisfyed with my 16tooth.

(mods jaws bumper, k&n filter rejet outwears kit, 909 grips, ceet rebel seat, no spark arrestor, 16tooth front sprocket)

01-17-2002, 06:14 PM
you guys keep talking i think im going to have to buy a 16 tooth i have thought about it but decided on the 14. I think im going to get a 16 now does any one have any speed differances to the changes?any actual MPH numbers?I know when i dropped to a 14 I lost about 5-6 mph top end. I have one of those trail tech computers but i dont hold them to be 100%.thanks

01-17-2002, 09:12 PM
raptor beating speed