PDA

View Full Version : Help..Air filter disconnected!!

Pepto_Bismol
01-16-2002, 11:46 PM
I just recieved my K&N power kit and went to see what it takes to install, when I found that my stock air filter was totally off. It was a direct open hole to my carb. It has some fine dust in the air box, and some goo that came off my air filter, and a bit of dust going into the the opening, but I didn't see any evidence of it in my carb. It's probably been like that for the last 10 hours of riding. I have not experienced any problems so far. Should I do anything, like clean my carb and change my oil. Is it even a good idea mess with the carb, or do you think any dust particle have probably worked through?? Any suggestions appreciated!
Pep. :confused:

Moto92
01-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Maybe change the oil but thats about all I would do. If your lid was on its not likly that anything big got in the box. Even if anything ''chunky'' :blah did get in the carb I would think you would notice it right then and not ten hours later. I think your safe.

Holty
01-17-2002, 09:33 AM
just to be safe, i would go ahead and clean the carb out real good and change the oil. better to be safe than sorry.

RideRed400EX
01-17-2002, 10:09 AM
I had the same problem but I noticed it quickly. One more reason to NEVER by a stock filter (or twin air) because they suck. I would go with holty's advise and clean the filter in addition to changing your oil it's impossible to see all the dirt which may have entered.

Mitch400EX
01-17-2002, 12:39 PM
I would just change the oil to be safe. The same thing has happened to me before with the stock filter. I have a K&N now and that fits into (not around the outside) of the carb hose. There is a hose clamp around the outside of the the outside to hold it in. It has never even hinted at slipping out of place.

Just a word of warning to y'all, watch the carb end of the intake hose. It only overlaps the carb by like 3/8 inch and even with the hoseclamp tight it can come off really easilly!! It happened to me twice then I just RTVed the damn thing on there. Hasn't been a problem since. :D

01-17-2002, 12:55 PM
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM DURING A HARESCRAMBLE LUCKILY IT WASN'T VERY DUSTY. YOU WILL KNOW IF ANY DAMAGE DUE TO DEBRI WHEN IT STARTS SMOKING DUE TO SCRATCHED CYLINDER WALL. WHEN I PULLED MINE APART I HAD TO BORE TO CLEAN UP THE SCORED CYLINDER, CROSS YOUR FINGERS!