PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake Removal Steps

Moto92
01-16-2002, 11:42 PM
What all is involved in removing the parking brake on the 400?
Im needing new brake pads on the rear so I thought this would be a good time to remove the parking brake.

whoops...wrong forum :p

01-17-2002, 05:54 AM
IT's pretty dang easy. YOu'll need the block off plate and a new lever and perch which will cost you about $35. Take the clutch lever off and remove the Emergency brake line that goes to the rear of the quad. Then take off the e_brake lever/.mechanizm from the caliper and mount the block off plate,,2 bolts hold it on and nothing will lead out of it when you take it off. mount up the new clutch lever and adjust cable to correct clutch pull and your done.

Moto92
01-17-2002, 12:00 PM
I bought the Nacs block off plate today at the shop, they told me that I dont have to change the clutch lever and perch
so whats the right way to do it?

cbrown400ex
01-17-2002, 12:24 PM
You don't HAVE to get a new clutch lever and perch. Most people do. It simply eliminates the clutter around the stock clutch. My advice would be to run the stock one for awhile and see how you like it. I like it much better with an aftermarket lever and perch. I have a msr raptor clutch and perch on mine. Costs about $50 at my local shop. Works great. A CR one will work fine for a little cheaper. All you have to do is unbolt the parking brake assemby and un-hook the line from the clutch perch. Then pull it out from the rear of the bike and your done(to get it out you have to undo one clamp and pop out a couple of tabs). When I ran my stock lever and perch I took off the parking brake part of the perch(right above the clutch lever) off and replaced it with a piece of rubber tubing(to fill the gap). A friend of mine just used a small tie rap to keep it from flapping. Hope this helps. If you do decide to put another lever and perch be sure and to tape the two wires together so it will start in gear.

01-17-2002, 12:30 PM
That's correct you don't have to change the lever and perch,,but heck for another $25 you can get rid of that big, ugly, combersom, POS and put on a simple clutch lever,,that not only looks better but will reduce clutch pull..:D How about them apples.

cbrown400ex
01-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Rico I totally agree. It gives a much cleaner look to the bike.