PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound for better air flow to the stock oil cooler?

JD400exrider
07-14-2003, 05:35 PM
This is just a thought i have been thinking about doing. Call me stupid but i would like your feed back. I wish i had a digital camera to better explain. On the stock plastic the oil cooler sits up under the fender under the lights. I want to keep the lights on my bike for the night riding trails. So a scoop won't work for me.

Below the lights I would cut a opening / hole in the front portion of the fender with some type of nice curve to give a decent look and from the back side installing some expanded metal screen and riviting in place with a rivit through the plastic into the metal. This location of the opening in the fender would allow a good air flow directly to the stock oil cooler. Doing this with a Pingry oil tank. My air scoops direct air to the head but not allot to the stock oil cooler. I think it would look pretty cool also. Does this sound stupid or does it make sence. The opening would be around 5-6" wide X 4-5" long. Leaving eneough to not loose much strength of the plastic.

I am interested in your feed back

skemp
07-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but could you make up a drawing of it to better demonstrate your ideas? Sounds interesting to me.

Bud88
07-15-2003, 09:01 AM
sounds like a good idea what i would do in that case is take that sheet metal and put a upward curve on it so it directs the wind straight to the cooler

the only problem i see with that though is with that sheet metal under there it would interfere with the wind pasage that was stock it wouldnt be a problem untill you get behind someone in a race or something in a muddy climate and cakes the front of you to restrict the air flow but id mess around with it

Big - D Racing
07-15-2003, 10:18 AM
It has been done, and looks pretty good if you do it right.

JD400exrider
07-15-2003, 03:30 PM
You would'nt happen to have a pic of one would you Big D

Big - D Racing
07-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Unfortantely I don't, I have just seen it and considerin doing it myself.

MITrail400EX
07-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Sounds like your idea has merit. It can't really hurt to try it. The worst you are out is a set of front plastics, and thats only if you don't like the looks. Ever since I put the rappy hood on my quad, I've noticed that the engine has been getting alot better cooling. It allows air to flow right through onto both the head and the oil cooler area. I've got some expanded metal in mine to keep out the roost and birds and stuff and it doesn't seem to hurt flow that bad. Let me know how it works out for you.

JD400exrider
07-16-2003, 12:38 PM
I really like the raptor hood conversion. That looks sweet. I just need to lights for those night rides. I figure this may be the next best thing.

remlapr
07-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Riding on muddy trails or in a muddy race it seems like the duct could get clogged with mud - you would then be worse off because there would be no air coming through the duct and the duct would interfere with the normal air flow behind the nose. I don't know if this would really happen or not - but something to consider. I agree it does sound like something worth trying...

JD400exrider
07-16-2003, 01:47 PM
The screen may become clogged with mud, however there should be no interference with the air flow under the fender. The screening is 1/8" thick and fit tight up under the fender with three rivets on each side of the opening securing tight to bottom side of fender. Should be the same air flow under the fender as if there were no opening at all.

Also i thought about possibly a small scoop made that would fit up from the bottom side of the fender to direct some air in.

Mr_Bub400ex
07-16-2003, 02:04 PM
sounds like a good idea... hm... if only u could get paint to match the plastic u could use body fill to mold it in... that would be cool. but neways it sounds like a good idea

norcalatver
07-16-2003, 02:13 PM
John, I think your idea is awesome! Are you willing to try it out on my quad with me? Thanks, and when are you free next?

JD400exrider
07-16-2003, 05:13 PM
No problem dave. I think we need to put your other cooler up under the screen rather on the front bumper. With the rezzies and dampner that is the only place i can think of that the aux. cooler will fit on your quad

greco400
07-17-2003, 05:04 AM
I was wonder does those air scoops work? I was planing on getting a 416 kit Je and a hotcame stage 2 bored that kind of stuff and the only thing i have the the octane at the pump station :( But i was going to get tjose air scoops and a small cooler and just tee it off with the bigger oil tank and the lines How do you gusy think about that? THe other thing to was putting computer fans behind the intercooler up top for more air flow let me soon

norcalatver
07-17-2003, 06:34 AM
thanks, and when are you free next?
JD400Exr when will you have some free time?

a1965gt
07-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Actually I have already cut some vents into the nose on my quad. I will try and take some pictures tonight. I was also thinking of mounting some fans to the oil cooler. I saw a post on here a couple of months ago where someone used some computer fans, looked like it would work pretty good. I mostly desert ride so mud and water isnt an issue.

JD400exrider
07-17-2003, 01:40 PM
1965 GT That would help if you could post some pics. Like to see what you did. I did here of a few people with fans. Fans would not work for me I ride the mountains with snow, mud and some water. Try not to hit that stuff to fast, although when your chasing each other through the fire roads it seams like you always hit one of those puddles WFO:eek2: