PDA

View Full Version : Shaving the Flywheel

Jekyl_22
01-16-2002, 06:42 PM
What are some of the advatages and disadvantages of shving the flywheel?:confused:

01-16-2002, 09:54 PM
faster reving and less mass for the crank to turn which equals HP. dis- Easier to stall. Not good for woods riders.

chris29
01-16-2002, 10:44 PM
It give the quad a faster reaction time and helps the rev's in the bottom end and Yes it is good for woods since it helps the rev's in the bottom end. I have seen people that ride woods Just lighten their flywheel and don't do any other mods. They say it helps alot in the woods. It also gives ya that extra boost off the holeshot.

01-17-2002, 09:52 AM
How much does this procedure usually cost?

Blackguywithouta400
01-17-2002, 09:58 AM
Does it for 50$

Blackguywithouta400
01-17-2002, 10:26 AM
Does it for 50$

Scott
01-17-2002, 10:30 AM
It will make the engine rev faster, but it takes AWAY from the bottom end. Around here it seems to be more of a mx thing than a woods thing.

chris29
01-17-2002, 01:50 PM
It will not take anything from the bottom end. It only helps the bottom end by reving faster and quicker acceleration. It not just for mx its for any type of riding.

Scott
01-17-2002, 02:13 PM
Chris29: It's the same as on a car or truck, and like someone (I think it might have been you) already mentioned, you're reducing the amount of rotating mass on the crankshaft. By reducing the mass of the flywheel/crankshaft, you reduce the torque of the engine. It will rev up faster, but the other side of the coin is that there is less mass to help keep the crank rotating as the RPM's start to drop.

Regardless, lightening the flywheel will make a difference in how quickly the engine revs. We all seem to agree on that.
The one's I've been around have also had a relatively small, but definitely noticable loss of low RPM grunt.

JabberJaw
01-17-2002, 03:07 PM
I tried shaving my flywheel...but everytime I tried putting the shaving cream on...it would fly off and get in my eye!

chris29
01-17-2002, 05:52 PM
No scott you have it backwards you lose torque when you reduce the mass of the flywheel. But that doe's not mater because a four stoke has more torque than you will ever need. Better accelaration and higher rev's will only produce more RPM's.

01-17-2002, 06:48 PM
and besides, if the loss of torque is that bad for u, dropp the gearin

quadfamily
01-17-2002, 09:24 PM
Lightening the flywheel will NOT take away bottom end torque. Flywheel weight has NO effect on the HP or Torque output of an engine. What it does is allow the engine to RPM faster. The weight of a flywheel is RESISTANCE to turn. If you had a flywheel that didn't weigh anything you would accelerate faster at any RPM (high or low). You do need a certain amount of flywheel weight though. The weight gives the crankshaft momentum to keep turning. At low RPM like at idle speed the weight actually sort of keeps the engine going because the compression of the engine RESISTS the crankshaft rotation. The momentum of the heavy rotating flywheel gets the crankshaft past this point and onto the next power stroke. If you drag race your quad (or car) you hold the engine at a higher RPM at the starting line before you let out the clutch. The weight of the flywheel helps here because it "stores energy" at that RPM and resists lowering of the RPM when you let out the clutch. Another thing is with a lighter flywheel when you let off the gas your quad is going to slow down alot faster because the weight of the flywheel that "keeps the engine going" is lessened. It's harder to slow down a heavier flywheel than a light one. One place where a heavier flywheel would be handy is in a drag race situation. I'll just throw out some made up numbers for an example. Say you are at the starting line of a drag race and you're holding the RPM's at 3,500 and you dump the clutch. If you have a stock flywheel the RPM's may drop to say 3,000 before it starts climbing again. If you have a lightened flywheel the RPM's may drop to 2,500 before climbing again. If you have a heavier than stock flywheel the RPM's may only drop to 3,200 RPM before climbing again and that would be an advantage because you would have "less ground" to make up before your quad accelerates out of the hole. I think this is where the confusion about "losing torque" comes from, when the RPM's drop alot more when taking off with a lighter flywheel because then you're actually taking off from a lower RPM then you normally would be. A lighter flywheel would be advantageous in most other situations such as accelerating out of a corner at the MX track or just accelerating in the woods or anywhere else.

I sure hope this helps at least one person because it sure was alot of typing to do!

chris29
01-17-2002, 10:00 PM
Okay quadfamily I think you have hit it on the head. I may have been wrong about the losing torque thing. But I was sure of the fact that it made more RPM's and quickr accelaration.

quadfamily
01-17-2002, 10:16 PM
Yeah, the losing torque thing might actually be when the rpm's drop to a point where your engine actually makes less torque and HP probably. If that makes any sense.

chris29
01-17-2002, 10:31 PM
I can really tell a differance since I had mine done. I love it the accelaetion is awsome. It like puting reeds on a two stoke for better accelaration except this is the way to do it on four stokes. I had a pound taken off my flywheel. I was also wondering if it would help to put a advanced flywheel key on it too. Do you think that would work with the flywheel already being lightend?

01-18-2002, 07:52 AM
I'd leave it the way it is dude,,your bike has tons of power,,adding an advance key ain't gonna give you any noticable power I don't think, I wouldn't do anything else to your motor,,I'd leave that sucka the way it is. Heck call Tom at TC and see what he thinks,,also,,have you or Eugene ever talked to Ken or is he still missing in action???

James70214
01-18-2002, 08:19 AM
What do you guys think about shaving the flywheel and adding the Curtis Sparks advance key? How much do you shave off of the flywheel?

chris29
01-18-2002, 01:50 PM
We shave a pound off the flywheel.

chris29
01-18-2002, 01:51 PM
Nope havent talked to ken lately havent even tryed to call him. Maybe Ill try next week or something and see what the **** is going on with him.

doctor_915
01-18-2002, 03:31 PM
Alright, this may be stupd but would it make it harder to ride a wheelie with a lightened flywheel? I dont use the cluth to pop the wheely, I just gon in first gear pull the bars up and gun the throttly, would this lightened flywheel have any effect on this?

Jekyl_22
01-19-2002, 11:16 PM
Well, from the sounds of it... since it increases acceleration, it would then make it just that much easier to wheelie, since acceleration is the key to popping wheelies. :blah