PDA

View Full Version : Vibration/and or knocking?

2001400ex
07-14-2003, 06:36 AM
Hey guys, great site, has some real helpful info...but I haven't been able to find anything about knocking/vibrations about my 400EX, it's a 2001, I just bought it last week used. One of the things I noticed is that when I'm riding casually in first gear once the RPM's get to about mid range-high up there, a real obnoxious vibration or knocking occurs, I mean, I'm not a retard when it comes to engines, but I've had it idling, and tried to look for anything vibrating, but I just can't see it/figure it out. I did record a video of it idling and then once the RPM's get up high when it starts to vibrate, as soon as I can figure out how to get it up I'll post it here so you guys can see and hear what I am too. Please help!

07-15-2003, 07:58 AM
sounds like a normal 400ex to me...:confused:

Skidplates normally rattle but a 400ex will vibrate alot when it's more than half throttle...:cool:

2001400ex
07-15-2003, 03:27 PM
I do have a skidplate on mine, I think that's what it is...it's just extremely obnoxious. I called up the local Honda dealer too just to get a second opinion, I'm probably going to put some rubber or foam or something to stuff inbetween there, because man, that's annoying. Better to be safe than sorry, eh? Thanks for the help;)

muff
07-17-2003, 03:47 AM
to stop vibration from the skidplate i use this 1" strip of foam that is used to line truck bed caps, works pretty good

2001400ex
07-17-2003, 05:33 AM
Thanks, I'll try that. I do think it's coming from my skidplate though.