PDA

View Full Version : grinding noise

scrappy9
07-14-2003, 03:16 AM
my 300ex was making a grinding noise when I hit the starter so i rebuilt the starter ( new brushes and orings) i put it back in and same thing. i pulled the reverse cover and checked out all of the gears for missing teeth, everything good. i pulled the left hand case and the flywheel to get to the starter clutch and gear and everything is fine there also. I figured it was a major prob so i pulled the motor and tore it apart and everthing looks fine, burned a little oil so ill put in rings, but the cylinder is perfect. my question is this could it still go back to the starter when under a load?? it works fine with no noise without a load, but im thinking i tore the motor apart for no reason. (not the first impulse thing ive done) how can i check the starter under load?? when it was all assembled it didnt make noise with the spark plug out. also is there anything i should look into or change with the motor apart?? thanks i am new to this forum and have found it very helpful. any advise is helpful.

scrappy9
07-15-2003, 02:20 AM
anyone??

YZROOSTINYA
07-15-2003, 03:04 AM
Some starters are just noisy.

I am not sure as to what the prob would be if there was no metal contamination in any of the parts

powerslider
07-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Maybe the clutch on the bendix (starter gear) is bad/ slipping. Did the motor turn over with the starter engaged?

scrappy9
07-16-2003, 06:42 AM
yes it turned over and the starter is powerful, just feel like its not catching all the time when you hit the start button.

powerslider
07-16-2003, 10:48 AM
Two things I can think of, the bendix maybe binding on the starter shaft and not sliding into the ring gear on the flywheel or the the bendix clutch is going bad, the first prolem you can usually cure by cleaning the shaft and applying a light coat of grease so it will slide freely on the starter shaft. The bendix clutch is a one way clutch, you should be able to turn the gear one way but not the other. Try rotating the gear in both directions, if turns at all the wrong way the bendix clutch is bad and will slip/grind when starting, eventually it will not turn over the motor at all...