PDA

View Full Version : Clutch: Is it Time? (300EX)

"BLAHH"300!!
07-13-2003, 11:24 PM
..(I now it's long, just hear me out.

I think it's time to replace the clutch on my bike, or can i make it last by adjusting the cable.?
here's where i stand....try to keep up.

1) Cable adjuster at leaver on bars.
.......Srewed all the way in.
2) Cable adjuster on top of motor.
.......Screwed all theway in.
This leaves ALOT of play in the clutch leaver on my bars,
i can pull the leaver in a good 1/2 to 1 inch before i feel tension.
(prolly more like 2-1/2"s.)

The leaver on top of the right engine case("The Black Arm") has about the same amount of play in it...If i pull the handy bar leaver in all the way, the lever on the motor only moves about 1/2"-1" inch..(after all slack is taken out of the cabel and "The black arm".
Heres what i did.
1) push the black arm in, untill i felt resistance
2) took up the slack in the cable by adjusing the bolt's ontop
....the motor (Out)
3) leaver on bar's is still loose,
4) took up this slack by adjust the screw on the bar's (Out).

Now my clutch is tight, and i can ride. But i can't shake the fact that i could move "The BlackArm" with my finger's.
That "Arm" is supposed have some pretty stout resistance on it isn't it.?...so is it time to relace my clutch,? Seams like my clutch springs are WAY too soft.

PART II
What has to be removed before i can replace my clutch?
can i take off the right engine case, replace the clutch, replace the gaskett, and go about my way, or do i have to take the whole motor back apart.?

Please reply....oh yeah, how much does a decent clutch kit cost, and what do you guy's recomend i replace while i'm in there?
Clutch plate's, and springs...what else, cable..might as well huh?

(Bike pulls good, but it seams kinda hard to wheelie.
1st gear...come's up pretty easy,
2nd gear...i have to jerk back on the bars
3rd gear....is near impossible unless i put my knee on the seat...
If i hit a bump, and use the clutch in 2nd, it pop's right up...but if i shift to 3rd while t up, the front drops like a rock.

I don't feel like the clutch is slipping, i mean it pull's the gear's fine when i hammer along on flat, and up-hill.
( I don't have a bike to compare it aginst.)

(sorry so long, trying to describe it best i can.

TRX250XFIRE
07-14-2003, 03:04 AM
Yeah its time to replace the plates ans springs is my gess, there is supposed to be a very fair amount of resistance on that arm, have u noticed a loss of power from before though? I redid my plates and springs over the winter because when i put the motor uner alot of strain i could def feel the plates slipping. It is not very hard to do, just take the side ocver off, but i would not do it unless there was someone there that knew what they were doing and have a owners manuale, there is alot of little things that u dont want to screw up, u are going to be able to tell weather u need new plates or just springs when u take the cover off and look, but i would replace the hole thing just to make sure.

As for prices just look in rocky mountain or dennis kirk and u will find the best or good prices.

TRX_Thumper
07-14-2003, 06:34 AM
that black arm is suppose to have a little freeplay 5-6mm after that it will be very hard to push but see if you can do it anyway...adjust your clutch lever to have 1/4 of freeplay then ride the bike and if the clutch slips start replacing parts

"BLAHH"300!!
07-14-2003, 08:37 AM
Thanx alot.
There' alot more than 6mm of play when the calbe is loose, it's time.

TRX_Thumper
07-14-2003, 09:18 AM
still tho i would adjust the free play to 1/4 inch at the lever and not worry bout anything else..ride the piss out of it...if the clutch doesnt slip dont waste money on new plates and springs

"BLAHH"300!!
07-14-2003, 09:49 AM
I will, i got other things going on right now.
..I just noticed it, and needed a 2nd oppinion.