PDA

View Full Version : dam blaster

ridered448
07-13-2003, 05:48 PM
ok i i cleaned my buddys carb,and i didnt pull it off, i just un bolted the air boots of and moved it to wehre we could claen it better, bolted every thing bac kup, and now it leaks fule out of the over flow hose

07-13-2003, 06:25 PM
sounds like the float is stuck

Scott-300ex
07-16-2003, 02:08 PM
if the float isn't stuck, it is probably damaged and needs to be replaced because it has a hole in it, i just anwsered to a post just like this, lol

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66465

ridered448
07-16-2003, 05:19 PM
dude i didnt pull the carb apart.... thats not it.

White_Knuckles
07-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Float failure is unlikely. Pull the float bowl, remove the float hinge pin and check the float valve needle and seat assembly. Mainly the rubber tipped needle. It lives under the hinged float area and acts as the fuel fill control valve. A stuck needle will leak excess fuel out of the overflow. Tapping on the float bowl sometimes frees it up. Inspect the float arm after you remove the bowl. Something could of got bumped out of alignment during the cleaning, again unlikely.

The needle / seat may be contaminated with gook from cleaning not allowing a seal. Replace the needle with a new one if it continues. Sometimes the rubber dries out from normal wear and the carb cleaning solvent finished it off.

Trust me, been there - done that. :)

JUSTINcredible
07-16-2003, 06:42 PM
i wouldent think you would need to have the carb apart for the float to stick.... mine has stuck open while i was riding and i had never had the carb apart??

it could be somthing else tho

im no mechaninc to say the least:p

Scott-300ex
07-17-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ridered448

if your talking to me, you don't need to have the carb apart for something to get past the fuel filter and poke a hole in your float, it happened on my truck

if the float isn't stuck then i would say put your float in some gas and if it sinks get a new one, or gunk in the needle and seat could be it too like people said up there, which just holds the float wide open, maybe when you cleaned it you forced dirt in there and it caked up

400exbiggun
07-18-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by ridered448

:huh then what exactly were you cleaning......like they said check the FLOAT

sickmojave
07-18-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
:huh then what exactly were you cleaning......like they said check the FLOAT