PDA

View Full Version : Wide Open issues ??

JHF219
07-13-2003, 02:55 PM
ok here is my issue my r wont open up for the life of me no matter what i try here is what i have tried so far i have changed the reeds i have cleaned the carb and i have changed and gapped plugs but no of this has changed it !! ok now heres the problem from 1/4 - 3/4 throttle it is fine but at full throttle it starts to cut out and acts like someon pulled the choke !! this is on my 250R just in case you need to know that !! it starts cutting out and missing like crazy and i cant figure out what is going on ?! i have cleaned the fuel tank and the petcock!! nothin has fixed it !! PLEASE HELP !!

quader400
07-13-2003, 03:06 PM
maybee you need a bigger or smaller main jet. cause i read that the main is responsible for 2/3 to wide open. pull your spark plug and see what it looks like. hope i helped.

Scott-300ex
07-13-2003, 04:57 PM
well, i just rebuilt my friends weed eater engine for him, we are ganna put it on a scooter, anyway, his didn't open up, so after i rebuilt the motor, i rebuilt the carb and there was a small fuel filter in there, you could barely even notice it, i cleaned that, cleaned the whole carb inside and out, and played with the air fuel mixture and now i got it runnin great, that thing 'el wrap out to man, i can't wait to put it on the scooter:D

toby400ex
07-13-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
well, i just rebuilt my friends weed eater engine for him, we are ganna put it on a scooter, anyway, his didn't open up, so after i rebuilt the motor, i rebuilt the carb and there was a small fuel filter in there, you could barely even notice it, i cleaned that, cleaned the whole carb inside and out, and played with the air fuel mixture and now i got it runnin great, that thing 'el wrap out to man, i can't wait to put it on the scooter:D
Thanks for the info, but we aint talking no weed eater here. It sounds like a rich main jet

JHF219
07-14-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Thanks for the info, but we aint talking no weed eater here. It sounds like a rich main jet

Thanks ,

I didnt want too say that but at the same time this aint no weed eater !! im going to fool with jetting tonight when i get home !!

Thanks,
John

YZROOSTINYA
07-14-2003, 02:20 AM
could also be your ignition.

make sure there are no shorts in your wiring

TRX250XFIRE
07-14-2003, 02:53 AM
im with YZ about the ignition, we just had the same prob with my buddies quadzilla, check the wires, also try droping the needle one, that is what the zilla needed after we went though the carb and checked the wires, and it was doing the same thing now the thing flys again. hope you get her fixed.

JHF219
07-14-2003, 03:49 AM
im pretty sure the wiring is ok(its all brand new and i had this problem before changing the wiring) its driving me nutz and im about to take it to the shop but i know i can fix it myself !! thanks for all the replys and i will keep all this in mind !!

Scott-300ex
07-14-2003, 10:29 AM
I KNOW A 250R isn't a fuc!in weed eater!, but it is still a 2 stroke, i am telling you my experince with the same problem that happened 2 days ago, (plus i was excited to get it running so i had to post it somewhere)

my thought.........like i said in the first post:mad:........was clean your carb and get a new fuel filter, cause that was the problem with the "thing i was working on"

you need to read past the weed eater part and look what i suggested:rolleyes:

"his didn't open up, so after i rebuilt the motor, i rebuilt the carb and there was a small fuel filter in there, you could barely even notice it, i cleaned that, cleaned the whole carb inside and out, and played with the air fuel mixture and now i got it runnin great"

:cuss:

JHF219
07-14-2003, 02:49 PM
ok well i went and did some plug readings on my R tonight and here is what i have found lemme give you my mixture ratio(im not really sure exactley what it is cause ive been doing if for so long i dont know the exact ratio) i use 4 oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas and i always mix 4 gallons at a time !!(i believe the ratio is 32:1) after doing several pulls on the R i stopped let it cool for just a few minutes and checked the plug its is COAL black telling me its running way too rich now what do i do do i lower my ratio in fuel or do i lean out the main? if leaning the main seems to be the best way then do you go up or down on jet size to lean it out ?!

Thanks,
JOhn

JHF219
07-14-2003, 04:38 PM
BUMP!!

powerslider
07-15-2003, 04:06 PM
What size main jet is in it? If it only does it above 3/4 throttle your on the main, don't change any other adjustments. Gap your plug at .018, is this the stock 34mm carb? drop the main one size at a time till it clears up, your plug should be paper bag brown.

JHF219
07-16-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by powerslider
What size main jet is in it? If it only does it above 3/4 throttle your on the main, don't change any other adjustments. Gap your plug at .018, is this the stock 34mm carb? drop the main one size at a time till it clears up, your plug should be paper bag brown.

Yes its the stock 34mm carb!! i pulled the main out last night and its a 172 which i think is a little on the over side ? not sure though !! im going to drop to a 165 and go from there if this sounds wrong please tell me !!

Thanks,
John

XANDADA
07-16-2003, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex

:eek: :D weedeater lmgdao!

JH I agree sounds like your weed wacker needs a smaller main. ESR sells 'em

powerslider
07-16-2003, 12:52 PM
Yes lean it out but do it slowly, you don't want to fry the piston being too lean. Are you running the airbox lid? If so take it off and see how it runs.

172 is pretty big on the main for a stock carb, 158 is stock depending on what year it is. 165 is probably a good place to start but do the plug chops to see where it's at, with a new plug...

Scott-300ex
07-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by XANDADA
:eek: :D weedeater lmgdao!

JH I agree sounds like your weed wacker needs a smaller main. ESR sells 'em

if you can't see a similarity between a weed wacker motor and a 250r motor(.....same principals....ect......)then i would have to classify you as an idiot...............if i wouldn't have said weed eater and said that "i had this same problem with my 250r", you wouldn't have said anything, SO CAN YOU PEOPLE SHUT UP AND RELIZE THAT THEY HAVE THE SAME PRINCIPALS AND SUCH

because im smart and your not..........thats all there is to it ..........:p lol j/k

JHF219
07-17-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by powerslider
Yes lean it out but do it slowly, you don't want to fry the piston being too lean. Are you running the airbox lid? If so take it off and see how it runs.

172 is pretty big on the main for a stock carb, 158 is stock depending on what year it is. 165 is probably a good place to start but do the plug chops to see where it's at, with a new plug...

Im running an open air box already its been that way for a long time !! im going to change the jets out probably tomorrow(i havent had time to get to the shop to get new ones) !! im going to start on a 170 and go from there i have 3 boxes of plugs so im good to go !!