PDA

View Full Version : hardened rocker cams vs. non-hardened rocker cams

slosh13
07-13-2003, 06:57 AM
Well im looking into doin some motorwork this winter and I have it all pretty much figured out but the cams. I am confused wether to get one with hardened rockers or one without. Because from what i heard from a local engine builder.. that if u get a cam thats not requiring diffrent valve springs and rockers ... its not worth it because ur cam wont be much more liftin than ur stock one. Is that true? With that said I was looking into a Hotcam/Webcam/ HRC cam/TC cam, but now im kinda leaning towards a Sparks cam. Besides the sparks cam what other cams to i have to choose from that require hardened rockers? Help me out im stuck on what to do. thanks.

cals400ex
07-13-2003, 01:03 PM
you can run a hotcam stage 1 and 2, hrc cam, white brothers cam etc. on your stock springs and rockers. i know the stage 2 and hrc cam give really good gains in mid to top end power. if you are looking at the most possible power, well then yes the hardened rockers are a must. however, many people run 416's with the stage 2 or hrc cam and can outrun stock raptors. i think that is pretty good because those beat a stock 400ex easily. i would only be getting a drop-in cam if it was me because i don't race or enter competitions but mostly just play around with my friends and make little bets. it mainly just depends on how much you want to spend.

JD400exrider
07-13-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
you can run a hotcam stage 1 and 2, hrc cam, white brothers cam etc. on your stock springs and rockers. i know the stage 2 and hrc cam give really good gains in mid to top end power. if you are looking at the most possible power, well then yes the hardened rockers are a must. however, many people run 416's with the stage 2 or hrc cam and can outrun stock raptors. i think that is pretty good because those beat a stock 400ex easily. i would only be getting a drop-in cam if it was me because i don't race or enter competitions but mostly just play around with my friends and make little bets. it mainly just depends on how much you want to spend.

Yep- What he said

oregonrider89
07-13-2003, 08:12 PM
IMO, If your going to spend the money on a drop-in, you might as well save a lottle more and get the hardened rockers and a cam that makes more power. Web cams are good. I got mine from Powroll. Great people, and awsome products. Check them out at

www.powroll.com

oregonrider89

TRX250XFIRE
07-14-2003, 03:08 AM
I put a hotcam stage 2 in mine, along with a port and polish, it was the biggest gain in power i have done to my bike yet, i love it and i didnt get new rockers or springs, although if u have the money i would just because of the relieablity factor