PDA

View Full Version : 300ex oil leakage

Out_Sider
07-13-2003, 06:01 AM
aight, i did a post earlier about my 300ex leaking oil out behind the front sprocket--i bought the quad yesterday, and the guy i bought it from said he had just filled it up with oil, so i rode it for about 3 hours, and then i quit for about 30 minutes then i checked my oil. IT WAS EMPTY, and it smokes pretty bad, but its a gray color?? but i filled it up with oil, and started riding again, and then it smoked REALLY BAD!!! but i just kept riding and then this morning after washing the quad and letting it dry, i cranked it up, and let it idle for about 5-8 minutes, and went inside to get somin to drink, and came back out and noticed Oil was leaking out of the end of my exhaust, and it was spitting it out of it also. so i parked it, and oil was ALL over my swing arm, and axle, and on the inside of my right rim??? wut HAPPENED??? i guess i wont be riding for awhile :(

Out_Sider
07-13-2003, 06:03 AM
by the way it has about 50 hours on a 20 over bore, and wiesco 11:1 compression piston.

nismo
07-13-2003, 09:06 AM
did you fix the first leak?:huh if not jb weld it. i am not sure about the other leak sounds like a striped bolt is letting oil in somewhere and it is getting burned off. just my 3 cents

Scott-300ex
07-13-2003, 11:01 AM
after you rode it, all the oil is still up in the head and everywhere else, so you didn't let it sit to allow the oil to flow down into the crankcase, thats why it read no oil, so you put more oil in it which actually over filled it then you blew a gasket cause there was too much oil

thats what i say

300exazzkikr
07-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
after you rode it, all the oil is still up in the head and everywhere else, so you didn't let it sit to allow the oil to flow down into the crankcase, thats why it read no oil, so you put more oil in it which actually over filled it then you blew a gasket cause there was too much oil

thats what i say

that's a possibilty. you might want to check your oil when it's cold.

Out_Sider
07-13-2003, 12:49 PM
i checked it this morning and it was empty. but i didnt wait but about 10 minutes when i checked it after riding.

Out_Sider
07-14-2003, 03:06 AM
alrite-- i cranked it up this morning about 9:30 after putting a full tank of oil in it. it cranked right up no problem, but i noticed after about 5 minutes, it started dripping oil out of the exhaust pipe. I think it might just need new rings, and Hone the cylinder?? Wut u think???

exman
07-15-2003, 12:31 AM
I had the same problem with my sons 300ex, ended up taking off the head and jug, installed new rings, took head down to harley shop and had them dismantle and clean springs and keepers and valves. Put it all back together and no more smoke and no more oil shooting down the exhaust. cost me 18 for new rings and 60 bucks for head and i think 12 something for gaskets. it was easy to do, buy a manual (it actually works).

Out_Sider
07-15-2003, 06:14 AM
well i called my HOnda Shop this morning, and they said that all i need to do is, adjust my exhaust valves, and replace the Valve guide. They said this is a common problem w/ some older 4 strokes.

exman
07-17-2003, 01:59 PM
Well save your self some money and take it off yourself, and carry the whole head to them or any other shop that can do it. its not hard and the manual is fairly cheap. trust me it will be alot cheaper than having the honda shop take all your plastic and all the other stuff that goes with it just to get it, especially if your honda shop is like mine here at $75.00 bucks an hour it stars adding up fast. Plus you learn how do do it, might as well do your rings while your at it.