PDA

View Full Version : Agressive or Mild Cam??

nacs400ex
07-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Ok.. my mind is so boggled it isnt even funny. I was pricing out my motor. Its going to cost a little over $2000 Canadian to put in an agressive cam with hard faced rockers, CRF450 Cam chain, Heavy duty springs, 416 kit, pipe and all that stuff. I am rethinking this and can cut about 700 off it if I dont go with an agressive cam.

I dont have the money to spend $2000 on my motor because I am trying to pay my 400ex so I can race it next season. ( I owe my dad $5000 CDN).

I have been told you dont need all the Heavy Duty springs and stuff with a drop-in cam. So I am leaning more towards that way.

I figure if I want more power I can get the FCR 39 or 41 down the road with an agressive cam and all the HD stuff.

What drop-in cam should I get?? I really want lots of bottom end to mid range for my quad, cause the way I see it top-end is useless on the MX tracks around here.

Please Help because I want my motor back up and running.

Thank you very much

Craig Hendriks.

nacs400ex
07-12-2003, 10:16 AM
BUMP !!

400exBro
07-12-2003, 10:37 AM
man i suggust you do it right or you will pay the price... if you get it done for 1 500 CND you know that it will last a long time... if you cheap out, well lets just say you will be spending more then 2 000 cnd when you drop a valve...
Hot cams are had problems but seem to have them fixed, but i wouldn't trust them still, what cam did Guy @ splash n dirt suggust??
maybe go with the sparks, lrd ... do research, and don't cheap out man, you might pay the price later on...

nacs400ex
07-12-2003, 10:50 AM
Yeha but if I get the SDR Cam its a race cam so I have to get the hard face and HD springs and everything. Its gunna cost me like $2000+ bore job and the gasket set to get this thing running. I am gunna have to work another month to get that. :grr: DAMN its so hard to decided on this motor stuff. I wish it was as easy as a-arms, axle and all that.

Your right though I dont wanna drop a valve. :huh I dont think I am gunna be racing till the later part of the season next year. Cause I have to pay this mofo off, get a-arms and axle before shes ready. So I need.... $9500 CDN to race. Thats quite a few dollars, considering my dad wont pay even 1% of that. Also I will need to pay for insurance, and CMRC race lisence, and race fees, gas. UGH this stuff is expensive. I wish I was into dirtbikes so much cheaper.

400exBro
07-12-2003, 10:55 AM
in that case, xr 400 cam??? it is a stock cam but has more lift then the ex cam...

damn man, i suggust you just get the motor back together and then pay it all off, start to race for a bit and save money and probably by summer you will have enough for a arms... you will do well becuase most quads are stock, like me.... just come out to have fun, i think when i get a new quad the first thing i am going to do is suspension, not a pipe and jet kit...

nacs400ex
07-12-2003, 10:58 AM
Yeah but my qaud can handle good as it is. Cause I was riding with Bob Delany in the pro class, he has a hermann 250r, I was passing him when he was riding his raptor. I just need lots more bottom end boost and mid-range. I could get the XR400 cam and then change it later on ?? I am sure the 416 and an xr400 cam will produce quite a bit more power than a stock 400ex.

nacs400ex
07-12-2003, 11:00 AM
whats Splash'n Dirts number???? There site isnt working for some reason. I will phone them tomorrow if they are open.

400exBro
07-12-2003, 11:05 AM
(514) 493-6988- telephone- i think they are open tomorrow...
(514)493-0630- fax number

ya you can always letter scarp the xr cam, get the lrd sparks tc whatever you want and then get some harder rockers as well... another thing is that i think you won't need to get the hd spring kit becuase you won't need it with the xr cam... talk to rico or search through old posts and see what the out come was...

nacs400ex
07-12-2003, 11:08 AM
OK, I am gunna phone guy tomorrow, hopefully he will point me in the right direction, the last thing I want is my quad to break again.

JD400exrider
07-12-2003, 08:10 PM
Nacs'

HRC cam You won't be disapointed. The HRC cam is a drop in cam. (Honda Racing Corp.) The specs are close to the stage 2 hot cam. It is honda quality a true drop in. Runs on stock springs and rockers. Very nice power gains.
get a fcr 39 and she will really rip. You want low end and mid. Get a stock carb mod from sparks or rocky ridge. Better throttle responce. Good power low and mid. :cool:

mx400
07-13-2003, 09:08 AM
is there a site to where someone can order the HRC cam? i may look into that if its cheaper than the hotcams stage 2.

cals400ex
07-13-2003, 12:56 PM
you won't be able to find a hrc cam close to the price of a hotcam. i am not positive, but i think the hrc's usually run greater than $260. however, the quality is probally better than the hotcam.