PDA

View Full Version : How to polish side cases and other parts on the 400

excess
07-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Ive been looking into polishing some parts on my 400 and want to learn how to polish them myself. Is there a tutorial around with a parts listing and some info to get me started, thanks

Pvt. Maggot
07-11-2003, 04:20 PM
if you want and you have aim i can run you through it or something im me at Acoldlonelydeath.

07-11-2003, 04:36 PM
i have explained this soo many times..i finaly decided to make a realy realy good explanation...and save it into a word document

this is a very messy and time consuming hobby...well heres everything you need to know

these are the materials you will need to make it work.

1. paint stripper
2. sand paper, variety of grits
3.bench grinder
4. spiral sewn buffing wheel
5. loose buffing wheel
6. tripoli compound
7. white rouge compound

you can get the bench grinder, buffing wheels, and compounds at www.eastwoodcompany.com

here is the steps to prepping and polishing the peice

1. get all the paint off the peice (if theres paint on it) i like to use air craft paint stripper that either comes in an aerosol can, or a tin can that you ahve to dump on.
2. once stripped, sand down until smooth, start with a lower, courser grit(i like to start around 180,220) then just work your way up until about 800.
3. once completely smooth i use the spiral sewn buffing wheel with tripoli compound. This step is partly finishing and removes all of the scratches and gives it a good shine
4. this is the finishing step with the loose sewn buffing wheel and white rouge compound..this give it the most shine and color
5. after you get done polishing there will be a black residue from the compound in some areas, fill a sink with warm sopay water and take a wash cloth and wipe all of teh compounds off. this will not scratch the peice and it still leave a very good shine when done.

for all of the small hard to reach areas i use my dremel with cloth buffing wheels that you can get from home depot or lowes, and use those with the compounds

I hope i helped you out, if you have any further qestions feel free to ask me some more

thanks
Shawn

TCracin440ex
07-11-2003, 05:42 PM
best thing to do is sand the powder coat off the stuff that u wana polish then use a dremel

07-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
best thing to do is sand the powder coat off the stuff that u wana polish then use a dremel dremels work good..but only for small areas....and paint stripper works a lot better on PC then sand paper will...sand paper is to make smooth

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-12-2003, 03:07 AM
Sanding the powder coat off would take alot of time, and alot of hard work....I'd use the paint stripper.

CBW
07-12-2003, 03:26 AM
how do you polish again:confused2 ...........lol:cool:

Woodsrider
07-12-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by CBW
how do you polish again:confused2 ...........lol:cool:

Just a guess, but are those billet hood hinges or sumpin'?:confused:

CBW
07-12-2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Just a guess, but are those billet hood hinges or sumpin'?:confused:

Yeah for a local guys street rod.....

......i had to take them all apart, da each piece to get all the CNC marks out......them buff them....

..the lighting was bad when i took the pics........but they turned out real nice..........

I severly underestimated the time it would take.......:( .......oh well :p