PDA

View Full Version : Supertrapp IDS2

mikeman828
01-16-2002, 03:43 AM
Does anyone out there have any feedback on the Supertrapp IDS2 exhaust?? I have a stock 93 300EX and was looking into getting an exhaust, I saw the Supertrapp for sale and was considering it.....

How's the sound level?? I need a quiet pipe because I have lots of neighbors!!

How's the performance??

Anybody got any suggestions about a better pipe???:confused:

Thnx

400exdad
01-16-2002, 06:53 AM
A quiet, high performance pipe is really an oxymoron. You really can't have both. You remove plates to make it quiet and you lose power. If you don't want to upset the neighbors, keep the stock pipe on it. Right now, I'm looking at the powercore 4Q for my 400ex. Most folks say that its not enough over stock to justify it. So, I will most likely keep my stock pipe on mine too. (I also justified the purchase of the 400 with the pretence of having more power and staying quiet!:))Bottom line is.... More power=more noise. Sorry.:(

patrick delao
01-16-2002, 06:59 AM
I have the p/c4 with the power bomb header and got real good overall gains with my stock motor. My friend has the p/c4 squared and mine is quieter then his with more power when it was stock. The header helps flow alot better and quiets things down alot. Hope this helps.

joe250
01-16-2002, 07:24 PM
GO to GT thunder in the links, then go look at the dyno chart for the IDS2.

Braff1
01-17-2002, 05:57 AM
I have a Supertrapp IDS 2 on my 300 EX. I purchased it from Rocky Mountain Atv about a year ago. It came with the header and silencer. I am running 6 disc in it to help with the bottom end since I mostly climb hills with my quad.

The sound is throaty, louder than stock but not ear piercing.

Perfomance, all I can say is it really woke up that 300 engine. You would be amazed at how much you get just by adding the header pipe.

Other suggested pipes= none other than the IDS 2

Dan

Scott
01-17-2002, 06:40 AM
I had the same problem. Wanted more power, but couldn't really make it louder.

What I did was find a DG head pipe (only because the supertrapp pipe for the 300 is a two piece) and then modified it to fit into the factory silencer.

To get the two to work together, you'll need a welder. Cut the flanged piece off your factory head pipe. This flange is the same diameter as the 300 aftermarket head pipes. Make sure your "new" head pipe is the length you need it to be and weld the flange from the stock pipe on the aftermarket pipe. BE SURE TO ATTACH IT AT THE CORRECT ANGLE. The factory silencer should bolt right on when you're done.

The only other thing I did was remove the baffle from the factory silencer.

The whole thing took about 2 hours.

My next step is modifying a 4" supertrapp to mount on this header. That will require cutting up a factory silencer that I have to get the "cone" needed to match them up.

Braff1
01-17-2002, 11:35 AM
Instead of doing what Scott did to get a header pipe to fit your stock silencer you can call Four Stroke Tech. They have a exhaust kit for a 300 EX that comes with the older supertrapp megaphone exhaust (loud) and a header pipe. This header pipe will mount to your stock silencer and still give you a noticiable power increase.

Dan

Scott
01-17-2002, 11:41 AM
Aw Man!! How long has that been around?? Oh well, I only have about $30 invested in my set up (DG head pipe and 4" Supertrapp combined), so (hopefully) I saved myself some money at least!

400exdad
01-17-2002, 08:29 PM
Do you have the "Q" for quiet? It's pretty new.

SporTrax400
01-18-2002, 09:32 AM
I have the IDS SuperTrap on my 400EX and it is really really loud. If you want a quiet pipe I wouldnt get it. It does have great preformance though.

Greg

01-18-2002, 03:39 PM
supertrapp makes what is called a quiet core insert for this exhaust system. you may be able to purchase it in a 300ex system. i purchased the quiet system for my recon, great power gains with hardly any noise level change. it has to do with the free flow of the baffle. i also purchased the same system for my 250ex, but with the race core. it is quite a bit louder but about the same power gain on a 250cc. if you need help in locating part numbers go to supertrapp.com they show the 300ex system with both cores. but the race core is more expensive