PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Computer nerds...

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Something inside my tower has been making a clicking noise lately. Its so bad now sometimes my computer won't start up, and if its already on programs will freeze up, etc.. I ended up having a friend look at my computer, and he said my hard drive is ready to go. Does this sound right? If so, are their any preparations I can take before I stick in a new hard drive, because I am told I am going to lose everything. Any other tips, ideas, etc. are appreciated.

250x#93
07-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Nice name for a thread:devil: HAHA Sorry man I'm not a computer nerd but I am addicted to these things:devil: I hope mine never screws up like dat id be pissed:( :mad:

roostin_dale
07-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Ours did that and we had to get a new modem!

JUSTINcredible
07-10-2003, 05:29 PM
yea i had the same exact problem.... your hard drive is skipping.. get a new one b4 u lose everything

CHAUNCY
07-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Will it make that sound when you just turn on the computer ? Thats what happens here on the laptop:ermm:

JUSTINcredible
07-10-2003, 05:31 PM
and i think it is possible bot not sure, but if u can save your hard drive on a disk or somthing...

hondafox440
07-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Try running a defrag on the drive before you go replacing things.

SGA
07-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Try running a defrag on the drive before you go replacing things.
I agree.
Back up your important data just in case. You should be doing that anyway. I back up pictures, songs, etc about every 5-6 months or so on my personal computer.

Striker49
07-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by SGA
I agree.
Back up your important data just in case. You should be doing that anyway. I back up pictures, songs, etc about every 5-6 months or so on my personal computer.

Best thing you can do right there. You'll have to back your stuff up on blank cds (if you have a cd burner) and the best thing to do is back your important files up on a dvd info disk. It holds a couple gigs I think, havent messed with em much though.

Then run the defrag to clean up your harddrive. You could have **** scattered all over that thing. Your computer likes to scatter info all over hard drives.

It could also be your power supply going bad and not giving your HD enough power. This would explain why it doesnt boot sometimes. We had the problem with our old computer. We installed a new 20gig hard drive but kept the same power supply in it. It could not handel the extra pull that was needed and ended up going out after about a month. We just disconnected the new hard drive and it was fine again.

Just make 100% sure you find out the direct source of your problem before you go replacing things or your gonna be out money. :cool:

And Im not a nerd. I just know some things. :) You have to to get by in the world now days. :huh

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-11-2003, 02:08 AM
I ran the Scan Disk, and Disk Defragmenter....didn't really help :cuss: I opened the side of my tower and pulled the hard drive out some while still leaving it attatched. Both me, and my parents are 100% sure its the hard drive clicking. I already took the precaution of backing up all my pictures, etc. last night like a couple of you mentioned.

Striker, your the 2nd person to mention about a power problem (I asked a friend too). So I believe its pretty much narrowed down to that, or the hard drive failing. Is there any way to determine which is the problem? :scary:

And Im not a nerd. I just know some things. :) You have to to get by in the world now days. :huh

Ya, I know what you mean...I never thought I would hang around computers as much as I do now...but ya...look at me :confused2

SGA
07-11-2003, 03:11 AM
I doubt its the power supply. Make sure the fan is blowing in it though. Time to go get a new hard drive. They have really come down in price. $75 will get you a good one with lots of room.

MSL
07-11-2003, 03:37 AM
If it making a clicking noise and it eventually locks up check the fan
to make sure it is running. If its not running your chip will get hot and lock your PC up and then eventually shut down.

Just something to look for