PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Kenda Klaw XC tires?

RIDER11X
07-10-2003, 03:56 PM
How are they? Good as Holeshots or Razors?

thejeepdude
07-10-2003, 05:42 PM
I love mine! I've never tried the other 2 you mention, but after reading a LOT of people on here switched to the Klaws and having no regrets, that's the tire I chose.

RIDER11X
07-10-2003, 10:55 PM
Bump:cool:

Zingnut
07-11-2003, 04:02 AM
I have the full set and love them also. THey work awesome in most conditions. The only time I found them not to be the greatest is when on slick rock climbs and on very slippery trails (ex. riding on a trial that was dusty then had a downpour for about 5 inutes and man it was slippery) My buddy I was riding with had the Holeshot XC's and seemed to have similar traction, or lack of.

I would deffinately recommend them and man I have torn the piss out of mine on some sharp rocks that on the stockers cut out the whole knobby but on the Kendas it just put small scrapes in them. They will last quite a long time.

Zingnut
07-11-2003, 05:03 AM
Then again I did not rotate the tire like recommended in soft and slick terrain. So maybe next time I will try that... Who knows...

RIDER11X
07-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Zingnut
Then again I did not rotate the tire like recommended in soft and slick terrain. So maybe next time I will try that... Who knows... :confused: Don't understand-Reversing them?

thejeepdude
07-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
:confused: Don't understand-Reversing them?

Yup... rotate one way for hard pack (v-pattern leading edge) and the other for softer terrain. See pic:

RIDER11X
07-11-2003, 03:28 PM
That is cool! :eek: I like that alot. I guess i'll be trying a set of those soon.

Does Pappy run these too?:confused2

RIDER11X
07-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
That is cool! :eek: I like that alot. I guess i'll be trying a set of those soon.

Does Pappy run these too?:confused2

Meek
07-14-2003, 08:01 PM
I like mine a lot, 23s up front and 20s on the rear.

RIDER11X
07-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Meek
I like mine a lot, 23s up front and 20s on the rear.
Got a pic?

Meek
07-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Not the best pic

Meek
07-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Another bad pic

Zingnut
07-15-2003, 02:28 AM
I run the stock size 22, 20's , and have found that the front and rears are about a hlf inch taller than stocker 22, 20's. This gave me better ground clearance which I have already found to be a great bonus for these tires.

Fronts (http://www.zingnut.com/Pics/Wheeler/klaw2.jpg)

Rear (http://www.zingnut.com/Pics/Wheeler/klaw1.jpg)

http://www.zingnut.com/Pics/Wheeler/sand12.jpg

Derno24
07-15-2003, 02:45 AM
The Kenda's are a good tire, but I definitely believe the soft pack setting to be a mistake. The rear slides alot. When you get into the real slippery stuff it didn't want to hook up at all. I was riding a h/s on clay and the bike didn't want to go where it was aimed. Like I said though it was set for soft so that could have been the problem. The durability of the rears is good and they definitely don't have traction problems when set to hard pack. The durability on the fronts has a little to be desired when running hard through the rocks. The 4ply front xc's just don't take very much sidewall abuse. I had 2 sidewall flats and another guy I ride with had the same problem. This is just my opinion, but for the cost of these tires compared to the others I would say try them out for yourself first.

Doibugu2
07-15-2003, 04:09 AM
I had the same problem with the soft setting. I ran them that way the first day at H/M and the rear was all over the place. Kind of fun, but not when its doing it next to a 30 ft drop. Switched them around and they hooked up great. I did not get stuck once at H/M and I know I would have if I still had my stockers.

RIDER11X
07-15-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
I had the same problem with the soft setting. I ran them that way the first day at H/M and the rear was all over the place. Kind of fun, but not when its doing it next to a 30 ft drop. Switched them around and they hooked up great. I did not get stuck once at H/M and I know I would have if I still had my stockers.

Yea, that could be a problem on the soft setting! The hard setting is the point of the V facing the back of the quad?

Doibugu2
07-15-2003, 04:38 AM
I'm not sure which way is which. But it's clearly marked on the side of the tire.

Zingnut
07-15-2003, 04:47 AM
In the pic I submitted they are in the Hard setting direction. I have never rotated them to the soft setting and never thought I needed extra traction till I rode in the downpour the other weekend, but my friend on his 400 with Holeshots was sliding like I was. So not sure the Holeshots were any better in the same condition.

thejeepdude
07-15-2003, 05:51 AM
The hard setting is with the V facing forward. The soft setting is with the V facing rearward (looking at the top of the tire). I run mine primarily in the hard setting, but have reversed them in the sand before. The soft direection DOES work better in the soft stuff, but it loses some of its control in sliding, IMO. As for the slippery mud, I don't think reversing the tires and trying the soft setting will do much for ya, but maybe just a tad. Really for mud you need more void space and deeper lugs for traction. That said, I still thing my Klaw XCR's are a great all-around tire.

Pappy
07-15-2003, 05:56 AM
i run the 22 in front klaws. i am very very impressed with them. 3 days with the hammerdown at hatfield and not one flat . they tracked perfectly in every condition from rocks to loose rocks to mud.

i ran razor 2's on the rear and ...DAYYYUMMM do they ever hook:macho only regrets to them is the price....the weight and the fact that you can barely get them to slide. even on wet grass they wouldnt slide:confused2

Derno24
07-15-2003, 07:07 AM
Like I was saying it feels like the soft setting is just for sand. In the mud I was sliding all over the place. It felt like i was riding on ice.

LML67
07-15-2003, 01:05 PM
After riding my buddies 400EX with Klaws, I made the switch from regular Razr's. I use to run 23/20 Razr's. My new Klaws are 22/20. We both rode at Big Rock ATV Park on Sunday with no flats. They seem to handle the rocky stuff just fine. Overall, the Klaw really improved the handling of my 400EX. Just my two cents......

86350x
07-15-2003, 08:40 PM
I've had them on my trail machine for a while and like them. Holeshots work better for hard and slick conditions, but for softer terrain and trail riding in general the klaws are better (in my opinion). I like the way the ride better too. When my xc holeshots on the banshee wear out, I'm gonna switch to klaws all the way around on that.

It is also very rocky and rough in spots where I ride, and I have yet to get a flat.