PDA

View Full Version : think i blew my elkas today

NTPracing22
07-10-2003, 01:11 PM
after doign some laps on my practice track my front end felt sluggish. i went back to the garage to end the ride. i pushed down on my bumper, and it took a good minute for my shocks to come back up. they may just need a rebuild...what do you guys think? thanks
wes

Big - D Racing
07-10-2003, 01:46 PM
ounds to me your shocks need to e recharged, in other words a rebuild.Usually when you blo them it means you blew out your seals and they leak oil at the shaft. Either way it's time for a rebuild.

07-10-2003, 01:53 PM
how old are the shocks? Are they leaking oil? Sounds like u need a rebuild :(

NTPracing22
07-10-2003, 02:00 PM
no there's no fluid. so io guess they just need a rebuild. its adding on a lot of time to my laps though.

this sucks cuz i have a race sunday..and i can't ship them out to elka to get rebuild becuase i still owe $600 to my rents' for the powervalve. :( :rolleyes:

Dave400ex
07-10-2003, 02:08 PM
Yep it sounds like you need a rebuild for sure. Even if you didn't owe your parents money, you wouldn't have the shocks back before Sunday.

Rip_Tear
07-10-2003, 02:11 PM
Wow that really sucks! were you hitting stuff or just ridding around?

NTPracing22
07-10-2003, 02:20 PM
hittin jumps, bangin whoops, railin berms....riding:D

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-10-2003, 02:58 PM
you don't see any oil leaking? maybe they just lost the nitrogen which could mean there is something wrong with the valve core or what not.. you might see if you can take them to a shop and recharge the nitrogen to see if that can get you buy for the weekend.. Just a thought.. :(

250x#93
07-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Sux man, Hope ya get it worked out:)

NTPracing22
07-11-2003, 02:10 AM
well i'm trying hard to pull something together. Eldon is talking to nate walsh for me to see if he can bring me something to use on sunday.

adam parks in canada said he could send me down some 400ex stockers (i'd take anything right now, lol) but they probley wouldn't be here before sunday.

250x#93
07-11-2003, 02:13 AM
Well looks like u should be alright then:D Good luck gettin them before ur race;)

400exBro
07-11-2003, 04:53 AM
ya get some nitrogen, and fill em up after each moto if they leak... some people might not have acces to nitrogen but i am pretty that Walsh would have some... call elka and ask how much to fill it with....

good luck...

NTPracing22
07-11-2003, 05:17 AM
well, after a lot of time on the phone i found a place that will have them rebuilt for the weekend. eldon was on the phone with nate walsh, nate said to call phill at sheridan (SRP), eldon called there and phils' wife answered and said to call up higgans powersports. so i called them and pat, maybe pete (im bad with names) said for $100 he'll have em for me sunday morning. so i'm on my way to higgans...its about an hour away

thanks for the help everyone

QuadTrix6
07-11-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by NTPracing22
well, after a lot of time on the phone i found a place that will have them rebuilt for the weekend. eldon was on the phone with nate walsh, nate said to call phill at sheridan (SRP), eldon called there and phils' wife answered and said to call up higgans powersports. so i called them and pat, maybe pete (im bad with names) said for $100 he'll have em for me sunday morning. so i'm on my way to higgans...its about an hour away

thanks for the help everyone

thats great but whats gonna stop it from happening again :confused: :ermm: i would call elka and tell them about it, thats not normal for that to happen, and if i were you i would make elka reinburse me the 100 your spending to fix there screw up, just my 2 cents

NTPracing22
07-11-2003, 03:06 PM
well they are an old style elka. they are well over due for a rebuild. so to me, 100 is worth a rebuild thats been needed for about 3 seasons now

NTPracing22
07-12-2003, 12:28 PM
well turns out my elkas have a lot of problems. virtually...they have more broken parts inside then working parts. he saidhe'd try to round up some shocks for me to use tomarrow, which i'm very greatful for.

just thought i'd update yall.

NTPRacing#19
07-12-2003, 12:49 PM
yea wes the trip down to see and shoot the poo with phil and get your shocks fixed was a pretty good day

Rip_Tear
07-12-2003, 01:41 PM
well turns out my elkas have a lot of problems. virtually...they have more broken parts inside then working parts

Wow that really sucks! Good luck on getting a set of shocks to run!

QuadTrix6
07-12-2003, 02:37 PM
well turns out my elkas have a lot of problems. virtually...they have more broken parts inside then working parts

:ermm: :scary:

NTPracing22
07-14-2003, 01:30 AM
well chris braught me some front shocks from a v-force 700. turns out they didn't fit. so our freind josh gave me a set of stock c-dale shocks. i had to do a lot of fabircation to get em to fit, but we squeezed em in there.

after all said and done, i broke my frame (not cracked....broke) in my first moto

one thing after another huh.

Rip_Tear
07-14-2003, 10:38 AM
wow does that ever suck! Post some pics please :(

nacs400ex
07-14-2003, 01:30 PM
Damn, thats worse luck then me. I blew my shifter shaft but I wont be riding for a month :grr: cause I am slammin a 416 high compression in it.

07-15-2003, 05:49 AM
shocks need rebuilds anually. If you try running the same fluid and nitrogen for 3 years your probably beggin for internal problems....:(

Pappy
07-15-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Rico
shocks need rebuilds anually. If you try running the same fluid and nitrogen for 3 years your probably beggin for internal problems....:(

beggin:confused: more like special ordering the problem in:confused2

07-15-2003, 06:52 AM
What you two saying there? Are we supposed to take care of our stuff? WTF is that all about :devil:

Seriously if you want your shocks to perform 100% all the time you have to take care of them, and it doesnt matter what brand aftermarket shock you have (yes John your PEPs will need maint and rebuilding also :blah: ) the oil will break down, the seals will wear and the shock will eventually loose the nitro gas charge and oil making it not work correctly. If you ride often and hard this will happen sooner rather than later so its worth keeping up with the maint so you dont end up riding on worn shocks and having the poroblems that this threads author is.

What puzzles me is that people dont notice how poorly their shocks are now performing and why they keep running them till they brake or have major problems etc.

NTPracing22
07-15-2003, 09:28 AM
well i've only had the bike for a year. the elkas came on it when i baught it. i had the fact in the back of my mind that they should be rebuilt, but now the fact is in my wallet. lol

as for the frame, i didn't get pics. its all fixed now. i braught it to my blacksmith/fabricator. he fixed it in an hour or so.

he had the frame broken down in his mind within a few mintues. he figured out why that spot was the side that cracked. (he got into it, i don't think yall want me to type it out).

but anyways, its now very strong. obviously he couldn't make it as strong as he wanted it to, or the other side of the frame would crumble.

400exBro
07-15-2003, 09:52 AM
how do you know if your shocks are starting to go bad??

my works feel really close to what they were new, but i have had them for a year and a bit... o well i will take better care of my elkas!!! plus i won't have to send them back to the states to have them revalved and that cost a lot of money...

NTPracing22
07-16-2003, 01:22 AM
i could tell that they were getting real tired. plus i knew that when i got the bike the last owner didn't have them rebuilt for a while.

250rmike
07-24-2003, 07:45 AM
just have your works rebuilt by elka