PDA

View Full Version : piston rings

robert goyeau
07-10-2003, 12:21 PM
ok i hired someone to rebuild my motor and it wouldn't start after so i took it to the local dealer and the timeing was wrong and then it still wouldn't start he told me it had no comperion but i just put in a new piston with a 11:1 is it possable to put the rings in up side down

L.Vegas400
07-10-2003, 06:06 PM
yes it is possible to put them in up side down, but when i was looking and filing mine, there isnt much difference in upside down and right side up.(but they are made specially to go in one way) from what i have seen, i dont think that would be your problem. i just thought i would reply with what i know since no one else has.

MIKE400EX
07-11-2003, 03:19 AM
Squirt a little engine oil in the cylinder. That'll temporarily seal the rings for a compression check. If it still doesn't have any compression go back and check the cam timing ann/or look for a valve that's stuck open. BTW, if the oil fixes it, take it back apart and correct the ring problem. Like Vegas said, even upside down should still make some comp., maybe just a bit low. Good luck!

robert goyeau
07-11-2003, 02:48 PM
that is perfect it show low compeison is that y it dosen't start

L.Vegas400
07-12-2003, 10:16 AM
did you find anything more out with your problem... could be a stuck valve, which if it is a fresh rubild could very likely be. or maybe the ring gaps were lined up...

MIKE400EX
07-14-2003, 03:06 AM
Robert, if you're not sure about the piston rings it would be wise to take it apart and check it out. The dots/dimples on the rings go up (towards the top of the piston) and the end gaps are staggered per the mfg. instructions.. While you're at it, check that a valve is not stuck open, and make sure the cam is timed correctly at reinstall. Good Luck!
(Better safe than sorry)

L.Vegas400
07-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by MIKE400EX
Robert, if you're not sure about the piston rings it would be wise to take it apart and check it out.
i agree. but first check the easy stuff, good spark, good air, and good fuel. you didnt specifiy, but if you had a shop do it tell them your problem, if you just had a buddy or whatever do it get a manual and take it apart from the top down piece by piece and look for anything out of the ordinary. if you see something that doesnt look quite right, post it and somebody well be glad to help out.

MIKE400EX
07-14-2003, 10:14 AM
My Mistake! Guess I should read the whole post. I looked over where you said you hired someone to do the work. Call them first with questions, (and the problems).
I'd also get someone else to "double" check the compression for you - I havn't found many dealers that are "that knowledgable or competent".
BTW Did they say low compression or no compression?

robert goyeau
07-15-2003, 10:55 AM
low compression it has but the shop i took it to is doing it

L.Vegas400
07-15-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by robert goyeau
low compression it has but the shop i took it to is doing it
so they are taking it back apart?

robert goyeau
07-16-2003, 10:36 AM
yes they r taking it a part but they r taking there time