PDA

View Full Version : Does Yamaha have a new DUNER!

Str8Wicked
07-10-2003, 10:21 AM
I was thinking, how do you guys think the new Yamaha kfz450 will compete in the dunes. Supposedly it takes a raptor in a drag race until the very top end where the raptor has a 2 mph lead.

I figure the light weight is great, the A-arms look pretty wide already and the entire quad looks very greatly built. Can't wait to see them in person.

The red candy frame on the white one just reminds me of an R.... and the color is a perfect duner I think. That thing looks mean and I'm one to usually hate white plastics...

Add some chrome here and there and boom it'll be a sicc duner....

Just thought I'd bring it up in the good ol dune section...

By the way one of my friends says he saw one in the dealers already, when are they supposed to start arriving in stores...

CHAUNCY
07-10-2003, 10:31 AM
I think they are gonna be great duners. I really like the white and red one also. The local shop already got a blue one in and it looks pretty good. The only thing I would be worried about is the upper a-arms:ermm:

Str8Wicked
07-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by CHAUNCY
I think they are gonna be great duners. I really like the white and red one also. The local shop already got a blue one in and it looks pretty good. The only thing I would be worried about is the upper a-arms:ermm:

the upper A-arm, why is that?

Just wondering so you could explian for all the duners...

310Rduner
07-10-2003, 11:14 AM
the upper a-arms are aluminum..

I think it should be great in the dunes.. see if there are any In Pismo tomorrow.. I hope theres at least one in the drags.. ohh i need to be the first to hand it to that guy if the banshees dont already..:macho

I think it will be pretty sweet the way it revvs.. almost like a 2 stroke, should clear up the whole thing i have about not liking 4 strokes in the sand lol.

Seem like all the 4 strokes you NEED to use momentum to get up the dunes.. 2 strokes momentum means nothing.. you just keep it revved and you will climb anything...:)

CHAUNCY
07-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
the upper A-arm, why is that?

Just wondering so you could explian for all the duners...

I think the upper a-arms will be weak because they are alluminum like 310 said:ermm:

Ketch
07-10-2003, 05:17 PM
There was two of them at pismo a couple weeks ago. The guy said he was just breakig it in. It was not that fast.

Str8Wicked
07-11-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Ketch
There was two of them at pismo a couple weeks ago. The guy said he was just breakig it in. It was not that fast.

well if he was breakin it in of coarse it wouldn't be that fast...

Can't give it more than 3/4 throttle...

As for the upper A-arm being aluminum, I don't see a problem... Maybe on hard packed but in the dunes I think it'll be on....

WyoDuner
07-11-2003, 04:51 AM
They seem to be good duners in the power department. Will blow away most everything out there. They are small - smaller than a Z400 so that is not a real plus in my opinion. They sit pretty low but are not that wide or long. They feel pretty good to ride but to me it feels like there is no front end. I kept having to look down to see the quad where normally you sort of see the front end when you're riding. It's had to explain.

It has the power to climb any sand hill with ease so that's a great start. The guy I was riding with last weekend was catching really big air on his over and over and it held up fine. I'll have pics on my site soon plus videos but need to find the time to do it.

Str8Wicked
07-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Cool cool..... I'm surprised so many people have gotten a hold of them already....

wilkin250r
07-11-2003, 07:30 AM
They rev to almost 11,000 That should be perfect in the dunes.

I want to get on one. If I like it, I'll buy it next year when they've worked a few bugs out.

Str8Wicked
07-14-2003, 04:59 AM
I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of my 400 for the first time...

If I do pick one up it will be soon but I'll pay for the extra warrenty since it is a 1st year quad...

I don't see an major engine problems with this thing since the 450 is already proven and they didn't change much on it... If anything the frame may have weak points which won't be discovered until hard riding is done on a daily level. Either way I want one pretty bad....

own2424
07-14-2003, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of my 400 for the first time...

If I do pick one up it will be soon but I'll pay for the extra warrenty since it is a 1st year quad...

I don't see an major engine problems with this thing since the 450 is already proven and they didn't change much on it... If anything the frame may have weak points which won't be discovered until hard riding is done on a daily level. Either way I want one pretty bad.... Just buy a banshee, that way you wont have to worry about anyone catching you in the dunes!:devil:

Baley69
07-14-2003, 06:10 AM
They should do well for 6800$ :confused2

airheadedduner
07-14-2003, 06:19 AM
I heard the power of the 450 is dissipointing. Yammy is claiming 40hp. Its probly more like 30-32. Even pro built yzfs where only getting around 43. Once you throw a pipe and filter on them I heard they really fly then.

Str8Wicked
07-14-2003, 06:21 AM
I'm putting my 400 back to stock than.. I figure I can trade it for about 3800.... I can get another 1000 at least by selling the aftermarket things.....

As for getting a banshee... If I were gonna get a two stroke it'll be an R... I really like YFZ since the motor has been a proven motor in the bikes, and it revs like a two stroke but is an easy maintenance 4 stroke... No mixing gas either.

Still deciding but I think I made up my mind...

K2Snow
07-14-2003, 02:02 PM
I've heard so many bad things about the Banshees. Everytime I see them at the dunes though they friggin fly. What's the deal with them?

CHAUNCY
07-14-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
I've heard so many bad things about the Banshees. Everytime I see them at the dunes though they friggin fly. What's the deal with them?

I have had nothing but good experiences with banshees. They are wicked fast machines and as long as maintained they run great and last. If I rode dunes more I would sell the 400 and get a shee:o

K2Snow
07-14-2003, 04:23 PM
thanks for the input chauncy, what kind of miantenance has to be done? i've heard from a couple guys that the banshees are nothing but maintenance and not really worth all of the work. also, i hear they break down a lot? maybe i shouldn't believe everything i hear, but nobody has ever said anything good about them around here.

J.A.B. Racing
07-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Ya I have to say that Honda needs to step up now. I do like the YFZ but I thought this was a EXriders:D lol. Im sure they will be everywhere just like the Z400 when they first came out, but Im gonna keep my EX and wait :huh I think it will be worth it.:cool:

Str8Wicked
07-15-2003, 08:23 AM

All I know is you have to do much more maintaining to keep them running perfect and when something goes wrong it's a pain in the ***** since there is two of everything....

stiffy
07-15-2003, 09:07 AM
I don't know we had nothing but bad luck with our Banshee and we kept it up extremely well my husband hates em so bad now but then my friend has a 2000 stock Banshee and her's runs awsome. The last trip to Dumont we had a 96, 89, 2002, and a 2001, and the 2000 stock one. My 400ex towed everyone of them back to camp except for the stock one. The problems
weren't that major the 89's stator came loose?? the 96 blew the top end 3rd time riding since he did the top end the first time, on the 2002 the tranny siezed, and the 2001 just wouldn't run all it did was backfire and overheat the bad thing about the '01 is we just got it back from Sandtech Racing the day before it was supposed to be jetted and tuned we spent a bunch of $$ that week to be ready for the weekend we bought a trinity 2-1 carb and spent $150 to have it jetted and tuned. I think we may have just had a huge lemon but we still wouldn't buy another one after owning our four strokes.

jamiesel
07-15-2003, 07:47 PM
my yfz worked pretty well in the dunes. It was a bit stiff, bery stiff actually. The Low end it really where it excelled. It has instant grunt, you don't need momentum just hit it and go. I can't wait to see what honda does!!

Str8Wicked
07-16-2003, 05:20 AM
I went and sat on a YFZ yesterday and man did that thing feel good. Everything looks very well made and the red candy frame is even cooler looking in person....

400exrules
07-16-2003, 02:50 PM
curtis sparks already has a YFZ 450 pipe out or its about to be out in a few weeks, i cant remember but i know they've got one for it already

WyoDuner
07-17-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
I heard the power of the 450 is dissipointing. Yammy is claiming 40hp. Its probly more like 30-32. Even pro built yzfs where only getting around 43. Once you throw a pipe and filter on them I heard they really fly then.

Airheadduner - actually I can tell you the power is MUCH more than a piped Banshee or piped Raptor. I spent 3 days riding St. Anthony with a friend who had one and he was winning just about every drag race. The 450 isn't going to beat drag Basnhees or big-bore well built Raptors but it will definately beat any quad with bolt-on mods. I saw it happen over and over and over. The 450 was basically stock with the airbox lid off and pea shooter removed.

K2Snow
07-17-2003, 12:58 PM
Saw a 100% stock Yamaha 450 today. The thing friggin ripped and seemed to be doing exceptionally well stock. Too bad I don't have the money or I'd buy one for sure, first year out or not.

310Rduner
07-17-2003, 01:52 PM
Saw a 100% stock Yamaha 450 today. The thing friggin ripped and seemed to be doing exceptionally well stock. Too bad I don't have the money or I'd buy one for sure, first year out or not.

hehe.. you guys shoulda seen cody after he was done following behind us today. . me with my haulers.. that yamaha he mentioned had Extreme haulers, and the suzuki 500 in that same group had some chunky paddles too..

He was deffinately feelin that stinging sand :muscle:

He rode my bike around on the beach and cruised some dunes on it.. then i had him riding it on thet one really wicked looking dune right before the set of comp hills.. he was hooked onto 2 stroke power within like ohh immediately :blah:

He is kinda wanting a banshee now .. or the new yamaha..:)

K2Snow
07-17-2003, 03:15 PM
Yea, I ran my 300 to death trying to keep up with the new Yammi, 440ex, the 250r, and the 500. I had it pinned in like 4th running almost blind through all that sand you guys were throwing in the air! But hey, I made it! As for the 2 stroke power, all I can say is damnnnn. That things really hauls! Would love to ahve a banshee buuuut, too much maintenance.

CHAUNCY
07-17-2003, 04:54 PM
K2Snow- A banshee really isnt that much maintenence. Mixing oil and gas is not a problem. You gotta change the oil like any other quad and do the usual stuff. If you are worried about 2 of everything, there are companies that make 2 into 1 pipe and 2 into 1 carb. 2 strokes are a blast to ride though , huh ???:blah:

own2424
07-17-2003, 06:38 PM
2 strokes are the best in sand...and Banshees require same maintanence as any other quad....change oil, lube chain, and keep clean. Just dont BS the mixture, make sure its the same everytime. Mine's still running...I think...Cant wait to get back out there!

K2Snow
07-17-2003, 08:09 PM
chauncy, hell yea they are a blast to ride. 310rduner's 250r was atleast! one more thing about the banshee, what's the deal with jetting? do you ahve to do that often?

CHAUNCY
07-18-2003, 11:23 AM
chauncy, hell yea they are a blast to ride. 310rduner's 250r was atleast! one more thing about the banshee, what's the deal with jetting? do you ahve to do that often?

Nah, just as much as any other quad.

ledofthezep
07-23-2003, 06:48 AM
Would love to ahve a banshee buuuut, too much maintenance.

I can't see how you can justify that,...:rolleyes: ...I've riding my banshee for over 4 years now w/out any problems except I did have a stator take a crap once,...other than that no problems, except some plugs here & there due to my jetting being a bit off. I may actually be getting another '99 banshee that's modded next week...may trade for my STOCK '00TTR250. hehe:devil:

Oh yeah,...and check out this dune vid of the new yamy...supposedly damn near beating a 70hp banshee,...:huh
http://www.bluetraxx.com/videos/PORTBANSHEELB.mpg

K2Snow
07-23-2003, 07:11 AM
well i can't justify that, i'm just going off of what i ahve heard. i've only owned and ridden one bike in my life, so i'm pretty lame when it comes to anything mechanical, i'm learning though. i think i wanna get a dirtbike next anyway, otherwise i'm still drawn to a banshee somehow...

Str8Wicked
07-24-2003, 05:31 AM
The Banshee's are definitly a nice quad but like I said before, if I wanted a 2 stroke I'd get a 250R.... I love the Yami mostly because it reminds me of a 4 stroke version of the R... It revs high, sits low, and seems small enough to just manhandle around the dunes, not to mention the high revving engine it gots....

Mine will be in my hands before Nov. for sure to be ready for Glamis season....