PDA

View Full Version : low end and top end.....

hondarider2006
07-10-2003, 07:45 AM
ok this is a pretty dumb question, but I need an answer...My friend keeps telling me that top end is like your speed when you take off the line. I keep on telling him that low end= taking off power and speed, and top end= top speed. He won't shut up about it, so an answer would be really nice. Thanks in advance

Big - D Racing
07-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Your low end is you taking off power, it's how strong it pulls in lower gears, top end is your max power, or how it pulls in the high gears. Some bikes will have a lot of bottom end and when they drag a bike with a lot of top end, they will beat the top end bike of the line, but the bike with the top end will eventually pass the bike with the botttom end.

hondarider2006
07-10-2003, 08:29 AM
thanks. we argued for like 15 minutes over this b.s. yesterday. now he has nothing to say....:cool:

MITrail400EX
07-10-2003, 08:48 AM
There are three quick ways to solve an arguement:
1. Research, which you did.
2. Violence, which is more entertaining
3. Beer, which solves everthing

I'm glad to see you took number one, now get on with the other two!

Anyways, yeah, the other posters were right. Low or bottom end is mostly about torque, which gets you off the line. The more low end torque you have, the faster and harder you'll pull off from the start. Top end, however is mostly horsepower. The high power two strokes are almost all top end machines, due to thier inherant need to rev high and fast. Four strokes are naturally low end machines because of our ability to make torque down low in the RPM range. Long story short: You were right, he was wrong. Hit him, then get him a beer and get over it!

JOEX
07-10-2003, 05:46 PM
This subject does have some confusion.....

Top end.... some think of it as top speed others think of it as upper RPM's

Low end.... some people think of it as lower speeds others think of it as lower RPM's

Most of it is interpretation and context... how the terms are used in a certain situation.

Myself, I think of the low/top end referances as RPM's not speeds.

Joe

MITrail400EX
07-11-2003, 02:23 AM
Not to mention engines..
You can rebuild your top end, or your lower end.
Top end being cylinder head, combustion chamber (sometimes seperate), valvetrain, camshaft, etc...
Lower end consists of crank, cases, rod, piston, rings, etc.
Two stroke riders should be particularly aware of these terms, as you guys are ripping both apart quite often!:D