PDA

View Full Version : Whats a GOOD kind of LUBE?

Narly R
07-09-2003, 07:21 PM
They just dont make it like they use too!:rolleyes:

:p Acually what is a good kind of chain lube? I USED that "Chain Wax" But that stuff sucks, I usually resort back to good ol' WD-40, but what kind of lube do you guys use that doesnt make sand stick to my chain:mad: J/W! I hate it when that happens!:( :D

Pvt. Maggot
07-09-2003, 07:49 PM
i didn't know wd-40 was a lube...i always thought it was a water displacer and rust destroyer? :confused2 i got this stuff...called chain lube lol....my neighbor gave it to me its blue too...:huh i dunno where to get it or if they even make it anymore....but i think that or cable and wire lube would be good? :macho

07-09-2003, 07:54 PM
i use PJ1 but dont know how it works in the sand...

"BLAHH"300!!
07-09-2003, 08:24 PM
KY....all the way!!!!

K2Snow
07-09-2003, 08:33 PM
synthetic chain guard, that's what it says on the can. i use it before going to the dunes, seems to work fine so far

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-10-2003, 02:05 AM
WD-40 is bad for using on a chain. Stay away from it. I use Maxima Chain Wax...never flings off, etc...

sweet300ex
07-10-2003, 03:10 AM
I use PJI, but i dont know how it works in sand, but it works fine for me

toby400ex
07-10-2003, 03:34 AM
Jerkins

But i use maxima chain wax on my chain

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-10-2003, 04:56 AM
We use maxima synthetic chain guard. :)

user101
07-10-2003, 05:02 AM
i use the stuff from the dealer

what do u guys & gals use to clean ur chain

wilkin250r
07-10-2003, 05:17 AM
WD40 is not a lube. It is a solvent and water displacer. It will work to clean your chain, and it will break down the old sticky chain lube. When the old lube starts to dissolve, it will get into the o-rings and lubricate them a little bit, which is why WD40 SEEMS to act as a lube. But now that you've dissolved all your chain lube, when the WD40 evaporates, you will not have any lube left.

Trust me when I tell you this, do not use WD40 as a lube, it will severly decrease the life of your chain.

Jekyl_22
07-10-2003, 06:09 AM
KY, lol....:D I hear it works wonders :eek: :eek2:

Narly R
07-10-2003, 06:16 AM
Well Iv only acually put it on like a couple of times, and my chain was alittle rusty and I used it for that, I hate chain wax cause ours goes ALL over the rear end of my bike and then when sand sticks to it, it dries and is TERRIBLE!:confused2 But I wont put WD-40 on my chain anymore,but wow you all use differnt stuff Ill just go to the bike shop and pick sumthin up and hope for the best.:ermm:

wilkin250r
07-10-2003, 07:22 AM
It's not that you CAN'T put WD40 on your chain, you just can't use it as a lube. It works great as a quick cleaner. If you do put it on your chain, you need to let it dry, and then re-lube.

Juggalo
07-10-2003, 07:36 AM
WD-40 is bad for the o-rings on your chain.

anyways i used to use maxima chain wax but i hated how the wax would get all over my sprocket and swingarm and skid plate. that stuff is extremely hard to get off. now i use golden spectro chain lube. it looks like spit when you put it on but its real sticky. i like it.

Chef
07-10-2003, 07:40 AM
I use Maxima. Its got like a gold color on the can. :D

ryanh250ex
07-10-2003, 07:47 AM
for my dads scrambler i picked up some bel-ray chain lube. he was using WD40 and i figured it wouldn't hurt to try out some hi-quality chain lube.

OutlawEX
07-10-2003, 08:07 AM
I personally use the klotz. Not the foam klotz but its more like a glue sticks real good to the chain. From the pic below looks like they got a special lube they use "Right lower corner":p

thejeepdude
07-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
I USED that "Chain Wax" But that stuff sucks

Um, what made you determine that it sucks? I have used Maxima Chain Wax for years. I think it's one of the most durable chain lubes around. Are you saying it sucks, because it doesn't leave any noticible "grease" on the chain? Just because a lube leaves a greasy (dirt and sand attracting) layer on the chain, doesn't mean it's doing a better job. Remember that the primary lubrication for an O-Ring chain comes from the grease locked inside the O-rings. The spray just lubes the outer pin/roller contact points, keeps chain/sprocket contact smooth, and prevents corrosion. I'd bet my house that in a long term test of two chains, one lubed with Chain Wax and the other with WD40, the one lubed with WD40 will wear out faster. WD40 is great stuff, and I've even used it on a chain to do a quick cleaning or lube it for a single ride when nothing else was around, however it is NOT a chain lube. That's almost like people who use gear oil to oil their foam air filters. :huh

Narly R
07-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by thejeepdude
Um, what made you determine that it sucks? I have used Maxima Chain Wax for years. I think it's one of the most durable chain lubes around. Are you saying it sucks, because it doesn't leave any noticible "grease" on the chain? Just because a lube leaves a greasy (dirt and sand attracting) layer on the chain, doesn't mean it's doing a better job. Remember that the primary lubrication for an O-Ring chain comes from the grease locked inside the O-rings. The spray just lubes the outer pin/roller contact points, keeps chain/sprocket contact smooth, and prevents corrosion. I'd bet my house that in a long term test of two chains, one lubed with Chain Wax and the other with WD40, the one lubed with WD40 will wear out faster. WD40 is great stuff, and I've even used it on a chain to do a quick cleaning or lube it for a single ride when nothing else was around, however it is NOT a chain lube. That's almost like people who use gear oil to oil their foam air filters. :huh

Is why i say it sucks is because it fly all over my swing arm and then when I ride in sand it sticks to it, it is like sement!:mad: Then i have to do A LOT of work to get it off! Iv always thought there were two kinds of lubes, Chain Wax, and just another kind, but i think I just misunderstood. I never lube my chain i know its bad but I just dont. i know I know sorry i will get lube today!;)

I DONT use WD-40 to lube my chain! Iv only used it to clean it a couple times!I know its bad for it. Its not like before evry ride I sprayed it on my chain!;) Thanks for the good info everybody!

promisc
07-10-2003, 10:17 AM
I use Silkolene chain lube. Doesnt attract too sand and its easy to clean extra oil on sprockets and swingarm. Its a light brown color. Not ugly green like MOTUL :huh Dont know if its a good chain lube. I need to change my chain each year anyway...

curtissparks400
07-10-2003, 10:26 AM
i think the best to use is "bel-ray" , but get the can that says "super clean chain lube" . trust me, the stuff is great. it goes on your chain white, doesnt fling off, and no sand or anything sticks to it. other chain lubes atract dirt and make a mess. bel-ray's super clean chain lube works great, and leaves no mess. it also makes your chain cool lookin cause its all white.

Evan400ex
07-10-2003, 10:43 AM
I use the "Bel-Ray" Super Clean chain lube too. It works great! Like "curtissparks400" said, it goes on white and won't fling off or attract dirt. I will never buy any other chain lube but the Super Clean lube.

drip
07-10-2003, 01:47 PM
I use Silkolene chain lube. I used Maxima Chain Wax but it builds up and attracts all kinds of dirt that chew away at sprockets and chains. Chain wax is good if you thoroughly clean your chain everytime you spray it on.

phatswinn
07-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by K2Snow
synthetic chain guard, that's what it says on the can. i use it before going to the dunes, seems to work fine so far

thats what i use^

wd-40 is a de-greaser and will actually distory your chain before anything

Narly R
07-10-2003, 05:36 PM
well today I picked up some Torco "Power Slide" Chain Lube, it wasnt chain wax, and it was cheaper than the other stuff, so wish me luck!:ermm: ;)

norcalatver
07-11-2003, 02:11 AM
If you research the archives of ATV Sport Magazine, you will find that by the time WD-40, or similar solvents, ruin the 0-rings on chains, the chain is already worn out any way. If you are getting more than 2 years out of your chain and sprockets, you aren't riding enough!

Blake24
07-11-2003, 03:43 AM
I use to use the Honda lube, but the other day I picked up some PJ1 stuff and it is suppose to be super tacky........Ill let you guys know how it works out for me.

Narly R
07-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Ok thanks! Um i got a new chain about 2 months ago and i think its alredy worn out!:mad: When i first got it I could hold it straight out and it wouldnt bend a hole lot, and now it bends to a half circle!:( O-well.

300XFST4602
07-11-2003, 10:11 AM
I use Honda Guinuine Lube , it works really good. :blah: