PDA

View Full Version : photoshop question

sportraxrider10
07-09-2003, 01:52 PM
how do i fill in the rest of these places where the white and red is? i used the Magnetic lasso tool and then once i did that i clicked on the brush tool and filled it in but it won't go anymore then here? what do i do?

310Rduner
07-09-2003, 02:00 PM
If you are using adobe photoshop 7. you can go to EDIT : FILL .. make sure you select the foreground or background color b4 you chose fill.. it will come up with an option but you need to have your color chosen already.

sportraxrider10
07-09-2003, 02:06 PM
yea i am using adobe photoshop 7, and yes it worked, thanks

310Rduner
07-09-2003, 02:12 PM
np

sportraxrider10
07-09-2003, 02:14 PM
well it worked great for the seat but when i did it to the plastic, i tried hitting overlay and it came out like this??

310Rduner
07-09-2003, 02:17 PM
:ermm:

i know most people when they do it to change the color of the entire plastics use this way.. its worked for me pretty well..

Go to filter: Extract.. use the pencil item to trace what you want to extract, then fill the space in.

Click OK.
it will bring it to a page with JUST the extracted item.. then save it as a diff file name otherwise you will lose the original file.

Then mess with the colors using i believe image.. then adjustments and channel mixer.. play with the colors til you get what you want then drag it exactly over place of the other original pic..

sportraxrider10
07-09-2003, 02:23 PM
ok thanks alot, now does anyone know how to change my frame color?

310Rduner
07-09-2003, 02:32 PM
same thing if you want it to look real.. using anything else but the channel mixer usually gives it a SOLID look, like a plain kinda color.. channel mixer keeps the same "base" unerneath the color it seems.. so you can get a different looking color, but it appears authentic and shiny

im not into the program enough to know how Shift-Dvs can get all of the reallly nice colors.. :confused2

sportraxrider10
07-10-2003, 08:19 AM
ok 1 more question then this threads dead, how do i change my color of my rims but not the color of the hubs?

310Rduner
07-10-2003, 09:16 AM
when you use extract to draw the outline of what you want to be extracted. just outline the hubs as well and that way when you fill it in with the bucket tool it will fill in between the hubs and just get the rims..

2 mins job.

stepupmx
07-10-2003, 09:18 AM
I can tell ^^^ ;)

310Rduner
07-10-2003, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stepupmx
I can tell ^^^ ;) [/QUOTE

:uhoh:

that wasnt bad for 2 mins.. i dont care about the edges he got the idea... lol

:muscle:

250dune_masher
07-10-2003, 11:33 AM
just a bit of advice if you have the patience and know how to use the tool... The pen tool rocks for edges and outlining specific objects to be filled. The magnetic lasso is ok, but is the lazy man's way to outline stuff... and you know they always say "a lazy man works twice as hard" only because you'll see it doesn't work that well.

select the pen tool and make points with the mouse click. When you want to make a curved line, make a point holding down and drag your mouse so it starts to curve. It's a little tricky in the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it. I do it for all of my image needs.

Once you do this you can do anything in terms of changing colors of specific parts of the image. You can lighten a color area then make a new layer fill with you desired color, bring down opacity and have a new colored part or use the layer behaviors to overlay the color, burn it, soft light it or whatever. At this point sky's the limit.

Try it out and see how it goes, you'll be a lot happier with the results even though it WILL take longer than 2 minutes!

lates.

310Rduner
07-10-2003, 11:42 AM
who was that for??

i did use the pen tool.. my hand was just too shaky at the moment to get it perfect...:confused: lol...

Hey, could you give me some advice for bringing out the colors and making them more realistinc.. ive seen how shift_dvs can get those colors and i cant come close at this moment.

Whats the easiest way to break into using all of the tools such as opacity and such, i dont have much knowledge of it at the moment.

I've been playing with it awhile. just havent ventured into the other tools than channel mixer really..

Like what order do i need to use them, i dont want to use opacity and then Screw it up with like brightness and such....

thanks for any help you can supply..

sportraxrider10
07-10-2003, 11:46 AM
now how do they change the colors in the plastics, i know you told me to take the plastic out and do it but is there a easier way? well not easier but other than that way?

and yea, who was that for?

250dune_masher
07-10-2003, 12:19 PM
well first off always duplicate your original layer image. Lock the very bottom one and use this as your guide map for what you want. The top duplicated layer should be your tester. To change color on stuff you really want to never do it on the actual image, but on layers that are on top. ALWAYS. It makes life a lot easier, but if you mess up and do it, at least you've got the original locked layer underneath. (believe me when I say "been there, done that.")

you can use the free lasso tool or the pencil, but they just aren't accurate. The pen tool really will amaze you at what you can chop up and dissect. When you use this, it creates a new layer in the "paths" pallete. (Should be one of 3 pallates located with the layer's pallate). Click on the paths tab and you'll see your outline as you create it. This is important so you can go back and reuse the outline for various things (new layers and fills, etc.)

to use stuff like opacity and layer behaviors, open up your layers pallate and you should see those options at the top of the pallate window. Opacity is good for some things like background images and colors ontop of other images, but layer behaviors like multiply, screen, overlay, etc. are the shyt! When you use these, you have to consider the color combos, because what they are doing essentially are absorbing the colors of the image underneath and using the image to do the work. Try this, outline the plastics of the blue quad on this page with the free lasso or the pen tool. create an empty layer ontop of the image and fill it with any color (red, yellow, but anything other than blue). Go to the palatte pulldown where it says "normal" and click on it to reveal a list of options. Choose one and see how it looks. Then, duplicate that layer a couple of times. You'll see that the colors change each time. Takes some practice, but you'll get the hang of it and start to make things look the way you want. Check out the one I messed with real quick. for the back wheel i made it look like a powder coat blue rim and the front one a tricky looking read flavor for the metal rim. The body is now kinda funky, but just showing what can be done with duplicating and messing with behaviors. same with the seat.

Most important thing, "Sh#t In, Sh#t out." The picture wasn't very good to begin with, but the better it is, the better it'll look.

http://www.sinnersgear.com/images/quad2.jpg

hondafox440
07-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Using Hue/Saturation is much easier than the extract tools. Use the magnetic lasso (go slow and zoom in, this tool DOES offer the best results) then go to Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation and check the colorize box. This is on Photoshop 7.

250dune_masher
07-10-2003, 12:35 PM
hondaFox, there's no way the magnetic lasso is the best. Sorry, but it works only when there is high contrast of colors to separate the outline you want to make. (ie., a dark box on a light background) and even then you wont get a perfect outline of it because it may grab onto a similar color close to the image and give you a wobbly line look. Magnetic is good for beginners though, so if that's the caliber of user that's using it, there's nothing wrong with it. It is faster, I'll give it that, just not as accurate.

good use of the Image menu however and again a lot easier for the rooks. I guess I've just been doing it so long, I think outside of the easy way. Believe me though, I do know that if you want it to look real, you've got to spend the time to make it look as such. Otherwise you get flat color and fake looking photos.

sportraxrider10
07-10-2003, 12:44 PM
ok let me see some of your pictures 250dune_masher, i just want to see what yours look like, i think this looks kinda good. i can put up the original picture if you want so you can show me.

sportraxrider10
07-10-2003, 12:57 PM
here is the original picture

250dune_masher
07-10-2003, 01:03 PM
well 300ex, it does look kinda good. There's not much too it, but it came out ok. you can tell the blue and red were done, obviously, and looks like the seat might have been touched as well. For a quick once over look, it's fine. I just don't do my work like that, all I'm saying is the Pen is better for most things (especially if if's a professional image retouch) and the magnetic tool is good for quick/easy purposes. Again, nothing wrong with it, whatever completes the job right?

ps. I don't really do any work on quad pics and I don't have the time to work on one now, but I'm pretty secure in my skills that I'll leave my opinion of the Pen tool as the superior outlining tool on the table.

hope you didn't take offense to the "Sh#t In, Sh#t Out" remark, it's just that image wasn't very clean to work with. I only speak the truth, that's all. Good times with PhotoShop!

sportraxrider10
07-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by 250dune_masher
well 300ex, it does look kinda good. There's not much too it, but it came out ok. you can tell the blue and red were done, obviously, and looks like the seat might have been touched as well. For a quick once over look, it's fine. I just don't do my work like that, all I'm saying is the Pen is better for most things (especially if if's a professional image retouch) and the magnetic tool is good for quick/easy purposes. Again, nothing wrong with it, whatever completes the job right?

ps. I don't really do any work on quad pics and I don't have the time to work on one now, but I'm pretty secure in my skills that I'll leave my opinion of the Pen tool as the superior outlining tool on the table.

hope you didn't take offense to the "Sh#t In, Sh#t Out" remark, it's just that image wasn't very clean to work with. I only speak the truth, that's all. Good times with PhotoShop!

no offence taken, i just got photoshop yesterday and i have been messing around with it.

250dune_masher
07-10-2003, 01:17 PM
see, that's cool. then you're ahead of a lot of other photoshop users that only have it for a day or so. Play around as much as possible with all of the tools. It really comes down to what you're most comfortable with. I used the magnetic tool for the longest time when I first was learning, but as time went on and I learned other tools, I found what I liked best. What helps a lot too is using Illustrator in conjunction with photoshop. You can make custom shapes, lettering and layout in Illustrator and then import into Photoshop. Tons you can play with, PS is a really deep program. Keep practicing and you'll get better with time. There really is no "right" way, only variations of how to get to the same place.