PDA

View Full Version : My 400 is overheating

01-15-2002, 04:57 PM
I have a 2002 400 EX and last weekend I took it out and rode it for about 4 hours with no problems. Then I wated about an hour to wash it, so the motor wouldn't be damaged. I took it out for one more spin to dry it off before I park it, and with in minutes it started to sputer and backfire. It ran fine at idle, and the choke was off, but at anything more then 1/4 trotle it was running ruff. When I tried to make it back to the house I notice the header pipes were chery red and the engine it's self was starting to smoke. Please Help

9300EX
01-15-2002, 05:35 PM
is it possible you somehow got water in your fuel? is your air filter loaded with water. since it ran fine before you washed it I would think it has something to do with washing it right? I'm sure the cylinder fins are clean because you washed it. Where are you? what is the temp where you are? you do know that the headers on a 400 will look red when it gets dark out right? are you sure you are overheating? Don't panic probably something simple.:D

Leo
01-15-2002, 06:06 PM
might be some water causing trouble with the ignition system.. I'd try drying the coil / wire / plug off and see how it runs then..

Just to be safe check the airbox for excess water first though.

Leo

01-15-2002, 06:33 PM
sounds like u got your spark plug wet

01-18-2002, 01:56 PM
I took some peoples advise and just wated for the 4-wheeler to dry out. It seems to be running ok now, although I had to change the sparkplug before it would even try to hit. This is my 4 sparkplug in 2 months.
Thanks for the help guys.