PDA

View Full Version : Motor Problems!!! Help!!!!

nacs400ex
07-09-2003, 09:52 AM
Well today at the track my motor totally screwed up. For some reson the front sprocket ripped off, possibly because the chain became all wound up. Well my problem right now is.... The gear shifter ripped off the shaft, and bent most of it downwards. Now the shaft is chipped, and the teeth are stripped right off. What exactly am I going to have to do to get this shaft out. I don't wanna split the cases but it looks like I am going to have to. Well if you guys have any tips, or price estimates on how much this is gunna cost, please tell me. I guess I wont be riding for a while :(

Thanks
Craig Hendriks

nacs400ex
07-09-2003, 09:58 AM
I am guess the sprocket mysteriously rattled out the little bolts that keep it on, and ripped up the gear shifter. But luckily the shaft for the sprocket is fine. Dammit, The shaft for the gear shifter costs $61.19 CDN... Ugh, this is the only problem I have had with this bike (knock wood) Hopefully nothing else happens.

I think I am gunna be done for the summer, and start on my winter rebuild earlier, got any advice?

wilkin250r
07-09-2003, 10:04 AM
Well, unless you are doing the work yourself, the price of a new shaft for the shifter is small potatoes compared to the $400 you going to have to pay to someone to split the cases.

nacs400ex
07-09-2003, 02:13 PM
OK, I have the side cases off, and the motor is out of the frame. Now Which side does the shaft pull out from. Because I need to know if I should borrow a flywheel puller from my dads buddy.

400exBro
07-09-2003, 02:29 PM
sorry to hear that happen Craig... damn i was thinking maybe you make some poker runs this fall... o well chit happens

you might as well get that 416 or 426 kit that you wanted while your at it, no point of opening the engine twice...if you do get a bore kit, do it right from the beginging, stronger valve springs, rockers, timing chan, connecting rod etc... so it will be the last time you will have to open that baby up... better to do it right once then 2 or 3 times over again...

good luck...

hopefully we will see ya that some cmrc events next year :cool:

Timo

jgfarmsracer
07-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Sorry man but you will have to split the cases ; i've done it to six different motors

best advice; Get a SERVICE MANUAL and it's not that hard to do just take your time and when you go back together with it just keep everything clean

nacs400ex
07-10-2003, 04:55 AM
Yup were almost ready to split the cases. I have a clymer manual. Its alright, but I wish I had the Honda manual. Oh well.

I think I am just gunna put it all back together and get riding again, because I can always take it apart again.. to pc the frame.