PDA

View Full Version : Nickasil

F-16Guy
07-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Have any of you had your cylinders nickasil'd? It's supposed to reduce friction and make your top end last longer. I know they do it to bikes, mainly because the cylinder is aluminum, so it requires a hard coating. I wonder if having your piston skirt and cylinder coated would help the higher HP, higher revving bikes with longevity? Food for thought.

wilkin250r
07-09-2003, 11:10 AM
I've seen alot of aftermarket top ends that offer Nikasil coating.

Mine has it, but I've only had it for a few weeks, so I haven't got a regular rebuild schedule on it, so I don't know if it adds to longevity.

310Rduner
07-09-2003, 12:00 PM
wear less at the cost of more expensive bore jobs..

if i were to get a new aftermarket cylinder again i would get it.. i am doing pretty good with pistons i think.. im on my 2nd piston.. going through one about once per 6 months or so.. riding about 3-4 trips per month

White_Knuckles
07-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Coated piston skirts? I thought the rings stood off the piston side surface away from cylinder contact.

r_stilz
07-09-2003, 03:30 PM
I would go with Nitriding or if you have the money Chrome Plating

F-16Guy
07-10-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by White_Knuckles
Coated piston skirts? I thought the rings stood off the piston side surface away from cylinder contact.
The skirt does come in contact with the cylinder wall. Next time you have a top end apart, look at the skirt, there will be some indication of wear.