PDA

View Full Version : black box modification

dustnyu17
07-08-2003, 07:16 PM
can some one please explain how this product works i do not understand, u know what im talking about the black box modification

bradley300
07-09-2003, 02:38 AM
its not a product, but a service, they modify your stock cdi to eliminate the rev limiter. gthunder does this this, and i'm sure others do as well.

danney f
07-09-2003, 03:38 AM
I think there is a member on this site that does this mod. Not for sure. There is also someone that sells cdi's with the rev limiter removed on Ebay.

dustnyu17
07-09-2003, 06:27 AM
thanks for the info but i already new that, can u tell me how it works cause i think its a scam to get ur money, i never felt a quad hit the rev limiter in 5 gear so why would i need it removed

danney f
07-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Unless you have got a lot of engine mods, it's not worth it. Oh' and I hit that stupid limiter in every gear. If I road it more than once a month, I would have it done.

thejeepdude
07-09-2003, 11:07 AM
What is the process used to remove the rev limiter? Is there a special device or special software that you plug it into, or is it a hardware hack where a wire is cut or something soldered in somewhere?

danney f
07-09-2003, 12:12 PM
If I remember correctly, from reading in some other threads. There is a specific place that has to be drilled in the back of the box and than either a wire or a part is drilled out. I really don't know for sure on exactly what is done. no one has ever said how it is done, because it's probably something really simple that any one could do.

thejeepdude
07-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by danney f
no one has ever said how it is done, because it's probably something really simple that any one could do.

Haha... precisely why someone in the know should spill it!
:devil:

White_Knuckles
07-09-2003, 02:33 PM
OK, I'd be glad to reveal the “black box” mod procedure.

It's performed with a Voodoo spell chanted from high priestess rank or above.

The deal is, if the engine has been mechanically modified for top end gain you see more H.P. at higher RPM’s. A stock or low-end modded engine will lose or sign off H.P. when you exceed the CDI set RPM limits. Sounds like more revs equal more speed but that’s not true. Not only does the H.P. dive but stock internal engine parts can fail at non-governed high RPM.

$$ouch$$

2qk4u
07-09-2003, 02:58 PM
i just did the mod to my black box. Mickey Dunlap did mine. seem to help alot. he charges $100 and your old one.

thejeepdude
07-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by White_Knuckles
OK, I'd be glad to reveal the “black box” mod procedure.

It's performed with a Voodoo spell chanted from high priestess rank or above.

The deal is, if the engine has been mechanically modified for top end gain you see more H.P. at higher RPM’s. A stock or low-end modded engine will lose or sign off H.P. when you exceed the CDI set RPM limits. Sounds like more revs equal more speed but that’s not true. Not only does the H.P. dive but stock internal engine parts can fail at non-governed high RPM.

$$ouch$$

You didn't reveal anything most of us didn't know. The question was, WHAT EXACTLY IS DONE TO A STOCK BOX TO REMOVE THE REV LIMITER. :devil:

MITrail400EX
07-10-2003, 03:23 AM
Ok, so this won't answer won't help either and with good reason. Companies such as Trinity, Powroll, Sparks, LRD, and just about anyone else who does high-performance stuff has their own "secret mods" that they do to get an edge and draw people away from other companies. However, many of these mods are the same thing, done the same way, sometimes by the same people. Most of these mods are so simple and stupid that anyone could do them, but then how would we (high-performance industry) be able to make money off of you (Average-Joe Quad rider)? If we told you, chances are you'd tell your friends, they'd tell their friends and so on...to the point where we couldn't charge to do the simple crap any more. So my point being, if you want to do the mod, either tear apart your CDI and try to figure out how it works, like some of us did, or pay someone who knows how to do it.

Eric "No free lunches" W.

thejeepdude
07-10-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by MITrail400EX
Ok, so this won't answer won't help either and with good reason. Companies such as Trinity, Powroll, Sparks, LRD, and just about anyone else who does high-performance stuff has their own "secret mods" that they do to get an edge and draw people away from other companies. However, many of these mods are the same thing, done the same way, sometimes by the same people. Most of these mods are so simple and stupid that anyone could do them, but then how would we (high-performance industry) be able to make money off of you (Average-Joe Quad rider)? If we told you, chances are you'd tell your friends, they'd tell their friends and so on...to the point where we couldn't charge to do the simple crap any more. So my point being, if you want to do the mod, either tear apart your CDI and try to figure out how it works, like some of us did, or pay someone who knows how to do it.

Eric "No free lunches" W.

Cool, I'm gonna tear mine apart, tell everyone about it, and then put all you guys out of business by doing so. ;) Yeah riiight. That's like saying just because people know in theory how to bore a cylinder, they'll never have a professional do it again. There will always be those that prefer to pay the money rather than mess with something on their own. Then there are those who would never pay anyone to have their rev limiter removed, simply because they don't have $100 to do so, but if there was a way to do it for $5, they'd give it a shot. I think of my fellow 400ex riders all as buddies, and what do buddies do? They share with each other about their interests. We might keep a few secrets about our latest mod until we race a buddy and leave them in the dust, but afterwards, we share what we learned. Who knows, that guy you share the idea with might be the guy to come up with the next ground-breaking invention that changes the industry. So anyways, free lunch or not, I'll find out what makes the CDI tick... time to start tracking down a schematic.

MITrail400EX
07-10-2003, 04:26 AM
wow, I just re-read what I posted earlier and realized that I sounded like a prick. I really didn't mean for it to come off like that, but in reality, it's true. That is one of the mods I don't know how to do, so I was just trying to make up a really good excuse on why I couldn't tell you how to do it. I tried email all of the companies I listed and all of them gave me the same response. "Send us your box and we'll do it for you". I'd love for just one of them to need porting done on a 5.0L Mustang motor. I'd charge them double my rate because my porting job is a "special" one that out flows all of my competitors by at least .0001%. Talk to you all later.

Dirt
07-10-2003, 04:54 AM
I hate when people would rather make a dollar than help educate an induvidual(s) that is so willing to learn. The technology would advance much faster if people would help each other rather than have big secrets. Patents are one thing but "my product is so much better but I can't tell you why" is a diff story.

The Modified box is just a hardware mod, I think. You most likely remove a link too rid of the limiter or replace something to raise the limit. The parts are prob like $5 at radio shack for the replacement part. The material that encapsulates the "guts" is called potting material. I don't know the easiest place to get it (Radio Shack, 3M ?)?

Again I don't know how to do it or how it is done, but I'm sure its very simple.

Also I am not a fan of the boxes. In most cases there is no need for it, and it just lowers engine life. In some cases the raised limiter boxes are from a Honda Dirt bike I think. an XR 250..?

Just my 2cent