PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think about this?...

2000400EX
07-08-2003, 02:58 PM
I have recently changed my oil, I did everything by the manual but the quad only took 1.5 quarts to fill it. So ok, no big deal. Now the past few times I went to ride my quad I started it and let it idle for 5 mins. to check for the proper oil level, when I checked it the oil was past the "upper" mark on the dipstick by about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch. I rode the quad a couple times with the oil level like that and while riding I noticed that it smelled like oil was burning. So I figured I had to much oil in the engine that was being "blown" by the rings, which we all know is bad. I drained a little bit out of the crankcase bolt and let it sit a couple of days. Today I started it, let it idle for 5 mins. and check it, it reads about 1/4" below the "upper" mark. Then I rode it around for a few mins to get it good and hot, let it idle for another 5 mins and then checked it again. This time it read right on the "upper" mark. Do you guys think this is ok?:confused: Which reading is correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:)

JOEX
07-08-2003, 05:46 PM
The last way you checked it is the correct way. But adding only 1.5 qts and later draining some doesn't sound right:confused:
You are removing the drain plugs on the tank and on the left side case right?
Are you changing the filter too?

Joe

2000400EX
07-08-2003, 11:22 PM
yes, I did remove all of the correct drain plugs (bottom of oil tank and the left side crankcase bolt) and also changed the filter. I even tipped the quad on it's side when I drained the crankcase so that I could get as much oil out as possible since I was switching from the Honda GN-4 oil to Mobil 1 15w-50.

Any other suggestions?.......

Scott-300ex
07-09-2003, 04:25 PM
after riding it you need to let it sit for a while otherwise you will get an incorrect reading, i would just let it idle for a while and maybe ride it around for a small amount of time, park it and let it cool down and come back 10-15 minutes later and check it, you should get an acurate reading then

atvman6988
07-31-2003, 02:37 AM
you did wipe off the dip stick and stuck it back in to check it right i doesnt seem right that the level is so irratic

atvman6988
07-31-2003, 02:41 AM
oh and did u screw it in one time and not the other??

R-Crazy
08-03-2003, 03:21 AM
yea, wen you check it, dont screw it in, but remember, it is better to not have enough than havew too much (neither is good, and either to an extreme will fry a motor) but too much oil will cause too much pressure and blow seals. i dont have a 400ex and dont know the proper amount, but from the re-actions, it sounds like 1.5 qts is too little, but i wouldnt get worried about it. if you really feel uncomfortable, drain it out, and the filter case, and re-fill it all. it is probably okay to re-use the oil filter because it is almost new. oil is cheap insurance, but i dont think its a big deal.

dave

08-03-2003, 05:03 AM
what are you talking about a drain bolt on left side of case? I only know of the drain plug under the tank & I change my il filter every month? what are you guys talking about? :confused:

atvman6988
08-03-2003, 12:09 PM
where u have been draining oil is just the oil resivor (dry sump) there is still oil left in the engine which u need to get out throuugh the crank case ( like wet sump engines) that might be your problem

Rip_Tear
08-03-2003, 12:42 PM
I would just liked to re-post the part that, its okay to have a bit less oil in the resivor then too much because its a resivor it doesn't "have to be full".

Good luck

SGA
08-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Make sure when you drain the oil, pull both drain plugs. The one on the side of the case, right under the gearshift lever and the one under the oil tank.
I keep my oil level at the full mark or a bit under on the dipstick and let it rip.

JabberJaw
08-05-2003, 07:35 AM
I hate to ask this... butt you stuck it in the right hole...didn't you :-)

08-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Also when ya add oil.. add about 1.25 quarts then start the quad and let it idle for a minute. Then you add the rest of the oil..