PDA

View Full Version : AC Racing Swingarm Skid won't fit!

TravEX
07-08-2003, 02:54 PM
i just bought it for my quad (Part#04-2075), and the front bolt holes line up ok, but the rear tip of the skid that curves around the rear of the rotor hits my brake rotor so bad that the rear bolts won't even start, there is like an inch between the swingarm and the skid,,,i am running 15/36 sprockets, will that move the rotor so far back that the skid won't fit right?

this is the 2nd one i have gotten, cause the first one i got had the same problem, i contacted the dealer i got it from, and he said that AC had mis-packed and labeled some of their skids and he sent me a new one (which has the same problem),,,

if i put the stock rear sprocket on will it fit?

i didn't think that just going form a 38 to 36 on the rear really moved the rotor and sprocket back that far, cause the space in relation to the stock skid and rotor doesn't really seem to change that much,,,

thanks

CHAUNCY
07-08-2003, 03:06 PM
I dont think the sporcket size is causing it. It is probably ac's fab problem. They have bad quality IMO. There nerfs are a pain to put on along with some of there other products.

TravEX
07-08-2003, 03:56 PM
thanks

and thanks for the PM,,,i guess i'll send it back, because i don't think it will work,,,

what sprockets are you running with your Shark Racing skid?

CHAUNCY
07-08-2003, 04:04 PM
I am running stock gearing. I have plenty of room on each side for a bigger sprocket though:macho

TravEX
07-08-2003, 04:14 PM
thanks, that looks good,,,

wilson10
07-08-2003, 06:47 PM
first I would have to agree that AC fit finish and quality is very poor. My first bumper I got set so crooked that it looked like this \ The welds were horrible and the length of the flat bottom mounting bars were off by atleast a 1/4 inch (one side longer then the other) 2nd is that my swing skid bolt pattern didn't line up. If you line he bottom up the top holes were above the skid holes and vice versa. I ended up putting it in a drill press and wolloing out the top holes more and it fit perfect!

As for your problem you said 2 different things!! Whats hitting? Your rotor or your sprocket? You were talking about you rotor then the next paragraph you go into something about your sprocket. I have a 38t sprocket on mine (bigger then yours) and no problems. One thing I am sure of though is that IF you have your adjustment for your chain so far out (tighter) I do believe the rotor may begin to touch your skid. I may be wrong but someone told me one time they kept tightning their chain when it was shot and eventually the rotor began to touch the skid. Give that a try........it will make your chain loose but your skid may work then...........then all you need is a new chain etc......... :D

toby400ex
07-08-2003, 09:24 PM
when my bro got his skid 3 out of 4 bolts fit, aint them good odds:huh

TravEX
07-09-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by wilson10

As for your problem you said 2 different things!! Whats hitting? Your rotor or your sprocket? You were talking about you rotor then the next paragraph you go into something about your sprocket. I have a 38t sprocket on mine (bigger then yours) and no problems. One thing I am sure of though is that IF you have your adjustment for your chain so far out (tighter) I do believe the rotor may begin to touch your skid. I may be wrong but someone told me one time they kept tightning their chain when it was shot and eventually the rotor began to touch the skid. Give that a try........it will make your chain loose but your skid may work then...........then all you need is a new chain etc......... :D

the reason i referred to the sprockets was that i am using a 36 on the rear that is smaller and has to be adjusted out, so it's about as far back as i can go,,,

as for what is hitting, the tip of the curved part of the rotor side of the skid (the very back tip of the skid),,,i guess i'll take the PRM that he has offered,,,

thanks

TravEX
07-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
when my bro got his skid 3 out of 4 bolts fit, aint them good odds:huh

what was the brand?

wilson10
07-09-2003, 07:39 AM
well if it is adjusted all the way out you need a new chain and probably new sprockets too!! Then you shouldn't need it adjusted all the way out and the rotor won't be hitting :) Personally I like the 15/38 combo

jgfarmsracer
07-09-2003, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TravEX
[B]i just bought it for my quad (Part#04-2075), and the front bolt holes line up ok, but the rear tip of the skid that curves around the rear of the rotor hits my brake rotor so bad that the rear bolts won't even start, there is like an inch between the swingarm and the skid,,,i am running 15/36 sprockets, will that move the rotor so far back that the skid won't fit right?

are you runnin a longer swingarm you need the longer skid if not take a link out of the chain that should take care of it

TravEX
07-10-2003, 01:50 AM
no, it's a stock swingarm, the sprockets are only about 6 monthes old, and the chain is the one that came on it (may 31, 2002),,,i need a skid that doesn't curve around behind the rotor, cause i'm going to keep using the 36T sprocket,,,,later