PDA

View Full Version : best rear brake pads???

Tommy 17
07-08-2003, 07:38 AM
as i was just loadin up i noticed my rear brakes are bout shot and i'll be lucky if they make it through the day...

whats a good pad these days??? i don't wanna buy the ones that last about 2 rides and thats it... i had ebc b4 and they lasted a long time... but i wanna know if there is anythin better...

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-08-2003, 07:49 AM
Some of the guys are running the DP sintered pad.

07-08-2003, 07:51 AM
can't remember the ones I run but they cost around $28 a pair retail,,which seems high but they are the best i've ever run.

When it comes to brake pads you literally get what you pay for...:(

UglyMotha™
07-08-2003, 07:52 AM
i ran stockers last year and only had to change them twice

this years i dished out the cash for braking brake pads and they lasted a weekend

so now i'm back to the stockers and so far i have several rides on them and they show no signs of wear

AtvMxRider
07-08-2003, 08:34 AM
I've heard alot of people say the stock pads are the best. I bought Galpher(sp) pads and they seem to be holding up ok.

Ex'r Marlin
07-08-2003, 08:34 AM
I used to strickly use the EBC kevlar pads... Until I started going through them too quickly!:( I literaly went though 1 set of new rear pads before the end one XC race!:eek:

Anyway, I switched to DP Sintered brake pads all around. I have been using them for a few months now... Very nice!:) I am not noticing any brake rotor damage or groves caused by the sintered series.:cool: Also, these pads have a much longer life span!!!:macho

I am noticing a noticeable difference with the sintered series. The DP (or Dunlop) are definitely an improvement over the EBC I used to use!:)

FYI... I purchased the DP brake pads from C&D Racing.:cool:

QuadTrix6
07-09-2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
I used to strickly use the EBC kevlar pads... Until I started going through them too quickly!:( I literaly went though 1 set of new rear pads before the end one XC race!:eek:

Anyway, I switched to DP Sintered brake pads all around. I have been using them for a few months now... Very nice!:) I am not noticing any brake rotor damage or groves caused by the sintered series.:cool: Also, these pads have a much longer life span!!!:macho

I am noticing a noticeable difference with the sintered series. The DP (or Dunlop) are definitely an improvement over the EBC I used to use!:)

FYI... I purchased the DP brake pads from C&D Racing.:cool:

thanks marlin i gotta look into those, you run them on the fronts as well ?

toby400ex
07-09-2003, 05:30 AM
i get mine from a guy off ebay. Sintered metal emgo's for $15 a pair. Last me quite a while.

Ex'r Marlin
07-09-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
you run them on the fronts as well ?
Yep!:) Again, no abnormal noticeable wear marks on the rotors.

Note: Front rotors are the Braking "wave", while the rear is a solid Braking rotor.

FYI... A friend of mine (Lenny) needed rear brake pads, I gave him my rear DP pads with about 80% life on them after about 2 hard rides on them.:)

QuadTrix6
07-09-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Ex'r Marlin
Yep!:) Again, no abnormal noticeable wear marks on the rotors.

Note: Front rotors are the Braking "wave", while the rear is a solid Braking rotor.

how do you like the wave rotors ? are they worth the money ?

Ex'r Marlin
07-09-2003, 06:14 AM
I currently love the DP pads/Wave rotor front setup. Unless you need new front rotors, I do not think the "wave" rotors are worth the money. If you do need new rotors, I would recommend them over getting new stock ones. :)

UglyMotha™
07-09-2003, 06:29 AM
ya i wasn't very impressed with my wave rotor i mean it's a good rotor and all but you can get ones of same quality for cheaper i don't think that it's worth the extra dough plus the one for the ex the one for ex doesn't even look like a wave, it looks exactly like a rad rotor and is probably of the same quality, here's a pic of my rear wave seriously though i think your just mainly paying for the name, just my opinion:o

Ex'r Marlin
07-09-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
i don't think that it's worth the extra dough plus the one for the ex doesn't even look like a wave, it looks exactly like a rad rotor and is probably of the same quality... i think your just mainly paying for the name, just my opinion:o
Sorry for getting off the topic of this thread... But I feel I need to comment on the Braking rotors versus the Rad rotors. I received a Rad rear rotor that did not have the counter sunk holes machined properly. I talked to Rad manufacturing on this brake rotor... In short I do not believe they are the same quality level as that of Braking. I have received several Braking rotors for both the 400 and 300, whether solid or wave, and feel there is a quality difference between the two Manufactures.

Note: The front Braking "wave" rotors look pretty cool, a better look than their rear "wave" rotor!!!:(

QuadTrix6
07-09-2003, 06:54 AM
Thanks Guys :cool:

YLW400
07-09-2003, 11:10 AM
I just got a pair of the DP brake pads cause mine are shot....These go for 36 dollars at this speed shop:eek: Well, this guy is helping me out, so I got them for 29...is that a good cost, or is he still ripping me off? lol

YLW400
07-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Also the PN is DP811..... I see on the back where there is also a DP PRO MX (SDP) Are the ones I got ok?

Evan400ex
07-09-2003, 11:30 AM
I am using EBC Severe Duty pads and seem to be holding up pretty good. The stock brake pads are a joke. The stocks lasted me a few hours of ride time then they were gone!

Taco
07-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Evan400ex
I am using EBC Severe Duty pads and seem to be holding up pretty good. The stock brake pads are a joke. The stocks lasted me a few hours of ride time then they were gone! something is wrong with your brakes then. I havent had a set last nearly as long as stock.:eek2:

07-09-2003, 01:53 PM
i have had my bike since may 2002 and replaced the pads once with OEM. Now they have like a month left till i need new ones. I think thats pretty good wear. :D

Evan400ex
07-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Maybe those stockers wore down so fast because I was riding in sand:confused:

Evan400ex
07-09-2003, 04:27 PM
O yeah, and nothin could be wrong with my brakes because because my 400 is still pretty much new!

user101
07-09-2003, 04:57 PM
currently i have emgo brake pads all around. these were the cheapest ones i could find at the parts store. the reason i bought them is because i was goin on a trip the next day and my brake pads were shot. so i said what the heck these will last for the weekend. well its been about a month and they show no wear. these cost 15 dollars each.

L.Vegas400
07-10-2003, 09:11 AM
O yeah, and nothin could be wrong with my brakes because because my 400 is still pretty much new!
just cause its new doesnt mean jack ****. im not sure if you were serious about this statement, but if you were,,open your eyes a bit wider. i dont mean any harm buy what i said, but new stuff is not always perfect. i bought my 400 in may of last year and still have the factory pads on it. *whisper*dont tell anyone, but it needs new ones really bad*whisper*

Evan400ex
07-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Well what I meant to say is nothin could be wrong with my brakes because once I put the EBC Severe Duty pads on I havn't had a problem with them. Very little wear on those. The stockers wore out on me after one hard ride at the track. Don't know why because everybody says they are lasting a long time.

L.Vegas400
07-10-2003, 06:10 PM
i see, no harm no foul. i thought you meant since your quad was new there is no way your brakes could be messed up...

ajr400ex
07-11-2003, 05:01 AM
I have used several different brake pads:

Braking - wore out quickly (1-2 XC races)

SBS - OK - still didn't last very long

Dunlap - same results as SBS

EBC Severe Duty - last the longest but do wear the rotor down over time.

Just tried a set of Magnums sintered metal pads - they seem to be doing pretty well and were half the price of the EBS's ($15/set). So far these pads have been great for muddy XC races.

QuadTrix6
07-11-2003, 07:49 AM
Well what I meant to say is nothin could be wrong with my brakes because once I put the EBC Severe Duty pads on I havn't had a problem with them. Very little wear on those. The stockers wore out on me after one hard ride at the track. Don't know why because everybody says they are lasting a long time.

mud will destroy any brake pad i don't care if itd super duty or OEM or if your quads new it depends on how hard you ride and the conditons you ride in :rolleyes:

250rmike
07-24-2003, 08:28 AM
i will never use braking again i tried em and after 2 rides they were gone. i had dp sirated and took off the rears cause they were almost gone so i just changed the front too and they still have about 50-70%

07-24-2003, 09:07 AM
I've been using vesrah pads which are kinda expensive i think..:ermm: But they work better than any I've ever used before...:cool:

Lil90man!!
07-25-2003, 09:51 AM
well my vote has to go to stock banshee pads......yes i know sounds weird but i've had them on my bike for almost a year now and i ride every weekend and they are about gone now, but my stockers only lasted about 4 months, and then i tried everything from ebc to braking to parts unlimited:confused2 (which lasted every bit of 30 mins:mad: ) i'm not sure on the year because i think they switched pad types but i'm thinking it was the older ones...? but i've had very good luck with them. and notice its stock banshee pads not ebc pads that fit a banshee(haha my friend did that and couldn't figure out why they wore out so fast:blah: )

07-25-2003, 10:21 AM
just a quick question on pads. What causes one side to wear quicker. not left right wheel like the left pad or right pad on the caliper? Would it be ok to switch them around for longer life. On my rear one is almost gone and another is almost hakf way :huh

JOEX
07-25-2003, 03:10 PM
I was about to ask the same question....
On the rear the outside pad is worn alot more than the inside one. It is also wearing at an angle. The stock ones wore in a similar fashion.
I only have a few rides on these ones (Magnum I think) The stockers had about two years on them. Then, again, don't get to rid that much...

Joe

Tommy 17
07-25-2003, 03:36 PM
i'm goin out on the line here with u 2 about the wearing problem...

i am not 100% sure on this.. and it mayb totaly wrong but mayb a older memember can correct me if i'm wrong....

but could it be the things on the calipars that let the calipar slide left and right... i know the calipar has things on it to let it move and free float... i know for a fact a car has them... mayb those are frooze up on ur quads if the 400 has them...

thats just a wild guess... mayb i am right though... who knows...

Pappy
07-25-2003, 03:54 PM
its possible the sliders have developed a "ridge" and thats allowing one pad to make full contact and the other is not recieving the same or equal amount of force from the caliper.

another way this will happen is if when you change the brakes you fail to reinstall the small backing plate that clips onto one of the pads. i know about that one from expierence:grr:

ridesa02400EX
07-25-2003, 04:07 PM
just disconnect them brakes just slow you down

JOEX
07-25-2003, 04:19 PM
I don't remember any backing plates:confused: Maybe there was, I just don'rt remember.

"sliders" what parts are they? i'm looking at hte manual and see a "slide pin" (one) and "pad pins" (two). Is it something else?

What is included in a rebuild kit?

Joe

Pappy
07-25-2003, 04:23 PM
joe as far as the "kit" i dont believe one is available. the parts are easily bought thru any dealer (yamaha of troy is where i go)

there are 2 "pins" that the pads "ride" on....thats what will get jacked up. i usually run them over on a wire wheel and that cleans them right up....cheap too:macho

the backing plate will sometimes stick on a pad and get tossed in the trash. ive seen it a zillion times. people send me calipers to disassemble and pc and i notice it right away. AND I WONDER HOW I LEFT MY OWN OUT:mad:

JOEX
07-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks pappy:)
I still have the original pads and there is a plate on one of them. They call it a "shim" in the manual:p
I'll have to take mine apart to see if the new pads have the shim on.

Any thoughts on "rotating" the pads?:p

Joe

KASCHAK
07-25-2003, 04:46 PM
dont know what mine were but they were 35$ garentied from my shop that they would last a long time. its been a year and a half in mud really hot dry water. everhing. they started weraing when i started doing wheelies. taping them. dont nkow why tho

07-25-2003, 06:24 PM
i love my braking ones they lasted me 2 seasons so far at the end of this season it will be close to 30 races in the sand/loam plus practice time and i can probaly still get another season or more out of them:eek:

250x#93
07-26-2003, 07:54 AM
I have ebc all around, seem pretty good to me:devil: