PDA

View Full Version : 250X Problems...Help

Dupontster
07-08-2003, 05:29 AM
:confused:
I have a 1987 250X...I just had it bored, new piston, rings, timing chain, tensioners, cam, and lifters. Problem is, it won't start....I get a POP every once and a while, but thats it..I checked the timing (right on) I checked compression (got it) I checked valve adjustment (right on) I checked spark...Got it... The spark is not as bright as I would like it though...Took the CPI box off the other one that I have...Still wouldn't ...Took the coil off the other one that I have ...Still wouldn't...Disconnected the reverse switch..(Do I connect the wires from where that switch comes from?)
Still wouldn't...The other 250X that I have is running fine...I have been switching parts back and forth to try to get this one going...Still nothing...I have tried a little starting fluid, but I don't like that stuff on a new startup....I DO have gas in it....I have taken the lights off....I took the switch out...Is there some way to just basic wire it so it will just run...I don't need all the lights and BS...I just want to kick and go....It was running fine before the overhaul...Smoking like hell though..PLEASE HELP....Any suggestions would help....:confused:

ACracin300ex
07-08-2003, 06:05 AM
well, i just rebuilt my top end on my 300ex, and i disconnected the reverse, and i also took the reverse lever off. My quad wouldnt start either, b.c the reverse switch, or inhibitor was not connected, so i cut it off, and grounded it. Quad started right up, so check that.

Dupontster
07-08-2003, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the reply....OK, I'll try anything right now....Can you walk me through this....Down on the bottom of the right hand side of the motor there is a small black cover....If I take the cover off there is a wire that is connected with a small nut....You say ground it??? This is where I may need help..I follow the wire up to under the left hand side of the seat in the rubber boot....There are 2 wires there...Can I just undo it at the bottom of the block and follow it all the way up and disconnect it there and do away with the wire completely? Then do I connect the wires under the seat or do i just tape em up and let em go? You kinda lost me on the ground.....I redid the other 250X a while back and it wouldn't start either...Drove me damn crazy...Finally I took that little black cover plate off and the wire was mashed up against the block and grounding out the motor....I straightened the wire out and hooked it up right and it fired right up....The reverse switch is just a safety feature so you can't open it up in reverse right? I still think my problem is there somewhere...I want to remove the cable that goes to the reverse switch too....What about the little lever that it connects too at the bottom of the right hand side...It just flips from front to back.....Thanks again !

quadrcr87
07-08-2003, 09:33 AM
did you try popping the clutch yet?