PDA

View Full Version : The wife wnats the 400, so I need a new quad. Which one?

DESDAK4
07-08-2003, 04:23 AM
Well guys and gals, my wife has got tired of the Trailblazer and wants to trade it off on a new quad and give her my EX. So my question is, what do you guys think I should get? These are teh three at the top of my list right now because I want a beast.

Predator

DS650

V-Force 700

all opinions are welcome, I just don't think I couold buy a first year Yammi and I am do not like to wait so the Honda is probably out too.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

trueblue450
07-08-2003, 04:24 AM
predator........ unless you want an auto then go with the 700.

But for the price id get the predator!

07-08-2003, 04:28 AM
I would go with the pred. that thing stock is a beast... my bro this weekend beat a worked up "R" I know I raced that same "R" on my my piped "R" and he beat me by like two quads ... My brother has been riding for like 2 months and beat that worked up "R" 4 times out of 5.... And this is a stock Pred.... that thing has some power that is CRAZY....

This is my bros pred.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p4dcdc5c6a050291d11bf503cd98f09f7/fc11296d.jpg

Honda4trax250x
07-08-2003, 04:30 AM
id say predtor as well, i really like them

Glow Plug
07-08-2003, 04:41 AM
pred :D

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Boy that is a tuff one. If you want to go fast and are a bigger guy then maybe I would get the DS (but only if you are a big guy and can man handle it.) I just don't like the looks of the predator.. (JMO) and the V force is a wheelie machine. I guess it all depends on what type of riding you are doing for all around use the predator would be the choice..

CHAUNCY
07-08-2003, 04:52 AM
If you want an auto I would go with the vforce. If you only dune and desert ride I would go with the DS. You might need to be a bigger guy to handle the DS since they are so big though. For some dunes, trails, desert, etc.......I would go with the pred.

QuadJunkies
07-08-2003, 04:52 AM
You know what I would say.....lol..........:p Depending on what type of riding you do... and then I still say GET A PREDATOR:blah: :macho

DESDAK4
07-08-2003, 05:02 AM
I am not all that big, 5' 9" and about 180 but, I did alright on the one DS that I have been on. One of my buddies has a Predator and I love the power and all but he has aftermarket bars and the stem is bent which makes it feel like you have to bend way over to ride it and I like high bars because I stand up alot. There is not much for trees up here in North Dakota so most of the riding is wide open ditches and river beds, but we do have trails and I go home to Oregon atleast once a year. So as you can see I am having a hard time with this one.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

DaveEX7
07-08-2003, 05:16 AM
Pred.

QuadJunkies
07-08-2003, 05:28 AM
wasnt there an aricle in one of the newer ATv mags talking about how Bombadier may go out of the ATV busniness and concentrate on aircraft more????:huh This may help you to make your desicion too.......

Ben
07-08-2003, 05:34 AM
I'm in the same position but I want reverse, so that throws out the Predator and the DS (I'd be a little concerned about their ATV future too, see QuadJunkies post above). I am currently checking out the Vforce and the Raptor, the only two big bores with reverse. If you don't want reverse I'd say buy a cheap 400 and build the suspension and engine - the Project 400ex, along with thousands of other 400exs out there, will out power and out handle ANY stock quad made ;)

07-08-2003, 05:40 AM
if ur into xc id def get the kfx 700 those things are so fast from what i hear, if u wanan mx a lil and xc id prob get the predator, i know there fast too and good handling, quite a few locals have been having frotn end problems with them like the ball joints and i think there kinda ugly, the kfx seems somewhat low maintence but i havent talked to anyone who owns one yet

NDpredator
07-08-2003, 05:41 AM
Well Jay you know what I have to say. PREDATOR PREDATOR PREDATOR PREDATOR. You know, I would like to have some competition around here LOL.

Derrick

DESDAK4
07-08-2003, 05:49 AM
See I can't afford to build a monster EX or anything like that I have to start with something that has some beans out of the box. But as you can see I have no intention of leting my EX out of my garage either:D . Bombardier going out of bussiness is also a factor. NDpredator has wasted everything willing to race him up here so that show something, he even beat a new YFZ450 this weekend and the Predator was acting up because of the heat. The only quad I have not seen him outrun that was on my list is a V-Force but, he hasn't raced one either. Reverse would be kinda cool but it really isn't needed up here because there is nothing to get in the way. I think I might have a shot at riding the V in just about 2 hours so we will see.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Chef
07-08-2003, 05:51 AM
Stay far away from the V-Force 700. The experiences that I have had with them tells me they are junk. The Predator seems to eat the V-Force alive in every category. The DS Is about equal with the 700, but it has a little bit of Horsepower. The Raptor straight up eats the 700. The 700 just seems to friggin big for my liking.

07-08-2003, 06:12 AM
But why don't you get the most reliable quad on the market and get another 400ex:confused:

DESDAK4
07-08-2003, 06:25 AM
Ya know, with the 04 supposedly having the bigger carb and all that has actually crossed my mind. I have just started my search, I have a couple things to pay off yet and then I will be buying, hopefully by Labor Day.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Ben
07-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Chef
Stay far away from the V-Force 700. The experiences that I have had with them tells me they are junk.

Care to substantiate that with some hard facts? I'm curious, not being sarcastic :)

Narly R
07-08-2003, 06:49 AM
Hey DESDAK4,

I didnt notice your in Roseburg, where at egzacly? I live about 30 miles from there. Ill give you a little advice, be VERY careful if you go to the honda shop in Roseburg, because they SUCK and dont know ANYTHING!:mad: ;) Maybe I will see ya around town!:ermm:

Chef
07-08-2003, 06:52 AM
Heh, I just dont feel that they are what they are cracked up to be. They dont have nearly the horsepower I thought they had, they dont seem like they handle real well, and a stock 400 with a DMC pulled holeshots on one. Now how much rider could it be, its basically just hold it WFO. No shifting. By calling something junk, I am not usually talking about mechanical issues, because I dont have a problem with most of them. I just am not impressed by most of the big fancy new quads like I was when the 400EX came out in 99. :macho :blah:

07-08-2003, 07:03 AM
the 700 is a good quad & if anyone says it isnt b/c its automatic has obviously never rode one. I raced my friends 700 with another friends raptor & we tied 4/4 times. They are a little big though, thats the only thing i can see someone having a problem wit hthem

lars
07-08-2003, 07:49 AM
i was riding the trails a few weeks back.and there was a guy there with the big green machine. i was following him for about 15 miles.and he could not pull away for nothin.i was all over that thing on my stock 400ex with 15/36 gearing and works fronts.but that was on the trails tho in a long run i couldnt tell ya we didnt have along enough area:cool: but he was fightin it big time in the rough areas.didnt handle nearly as good as my honda in the corners commin outta the corners or in the rough stuff :cool:

seven
07-08-2003, 08:45 AM
My first choice would be the new yamaha then a predator. Or you can buy my R and i will go buy the new yamaha!

Baley69
07-08-2003, 09:08 AM
I would imagine the predator eats the new yami. I still cant believe what that predator does stock.

seven
07-08-2003, 09:32 AM
I agree, in stock form the predator is fast.

Bad Habit
07-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Chef,
I would say that the rider made a big difference in that 700 vs piped 400 race. I raced two 700s in the sand and I could only beat them by about 2-3 bike lengths (see my mods below). I beat stock Raptors by about.....well, I don't know, I can't see that far back.:D The 700s would keep up with most of the piped Raptors it ran against.
Now I'm talking about straight line racing here. On a track or woods course, I'd buy into a stock 400 beating a 700 because of the huge weight advantage the 400 has. I would think that big 700 would be a handful to whip around.

Chef
07-08-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Yellow416ex
Chef,
I would say that the rider made a big difference in that 700 vs piped 400 race. I raced two 700s in the sand and I could only beat them by about 2-3 bike lengths (see my mods below). I beat stock Raptors by about.....well, I don't know, I can't see that far back.:D The 700s would keep up with most of the piped Raptors it ran against.
Now I'm talking about straight line racing here. On a track or woods course, I'd buy into a stock 400 beating a 700 because of the huge weight advantage the 400 has. I would think that big 700 would be a handful to whip around.

I honestly dont know how far the 400 was ahead of the V-Force, because I was in the lead on the start by about 30 feet over the next guy, and I dont make a habit of looking back during a race. :blah:

WV-V-Force
07-08-2003, 12:03 PM
the V !!!! All i can say is that the V-force is a ball to ride and race!

DESDAK4
07-08-2003, 02:21 PM
Narly-R I was born in Roseburg and raised in Myrtle Creek were my family lives now. I am in the Air Force stuck up here in North Dakota but I may be home in Aug.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

DESDAK4
07-11-2003, 06:03 AM
Well I have now rode the V-Force and all the other Quads on my list and have made up my mind on the V that thing is just flat awsome the power, ride and handling are great. Thanks for all the inputs and help guys.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

goin2shock
07-11-2003, 06:14 AM
V-force is wrong decision go pred!

own2424
07-11-2003, 06:28 AM
Go with the predator, they got tons of power. If not, then the DS are hott too. Just throw a TON of Ron Woods stuff on the DS and you'll fly!

DESDAK4
07-11-2003, 07:10 AM
Guys I have ridden the Predator and will admit it has tons of power and handles great but, I just can not get comfortable on that seat for nothing and if I can't be comfy I don't want to ride it. The DS is awsome as well however when I ride it I just feel to small. The V-Force was comfy and did not make me feel like a three year old sitting on it plus I just think the reverse and everything will be good since this bike is for me and the wife. By the time I get it paid off the new Honda should be out and proven so then the EX can go towards that.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

crap-banshee32
07-11-2003, 09:51 AM
buy another ex and dump some cash into it!! make it a beast!!

other than that go with the pred!!!

Z400sTyLe
07-11-2003, 10:13 AM
One more vote for the PREDATOR!!! I rode it. You may just be happier with teh pred in the long run.... it handles WAY better and is almost as fast.... The seat felt fine to me, just get used to it. I felt like i was on a horse when I sat on the V-Force!! lol

Enjoy whatever you buy, I am just trying to peer pressure you in a good way! :D PREDATOR....PREDATOR.... PREDATOR!!!

DaveEX7
07-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Talk to QJ about a Predator, shes got one and its all souped up... PM her sometime if you're interested in a Predator.

Ben
07-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Guys, I think he wants the V-Force, not the Predator ;)

DaveEX7
07-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Guys, I think he wants the V-Force, not the Predator ;)

I just noticed that... I didnt read the first post on this page and it says great things about the V-Force, so I guess he does want that one.

own2424
07-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Guys, I think he wants the V-Force, not the Predator ;) Ahh...don't get automatic!

DaveEX7
07-11-2003, 11:29 AM
What kind of riding did you say you did?

mikealexander88
07-11-2003, 12:25 PM
for as much money as you are talkin get a decked out 250r. if you are worried about it breakin down all the time and all that bs then just get a gas gas 300. the gas gas will cost about 7000 or so and comes completly decked out. just my 2 cents worth...

DaveEX7
07-11-2003, 12:57 PM
I completely forgot about the G/G, ya you should just get one of them instead, like the previous post said you can get a decked out one for about 7g.

roostin_dale
07-11-2003, 05:36 PM
I say get a cannondale!!:p But the V-force is nice too..lol

DESDAK4
07-11-2003, 06:24 PM
Guys I don't know if you got it or not but I have a Predator that lives in my garage, it belongs to my buddy NDPredator and I jsut can not get comfy on it and the wife can't shift it because she has little feet and the stroke on the shifter is just to tall and with that it is not worth it. The V-Force is perfect for what I need to do and I will be picking it up tomorrow. O yeah the G/G is just to much and I can't get Cdales up here.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

goin2shock
07-11-2003, 06:35 PM
enjoy the auto!
its a cow but i know it'll be a blast
nothin like a dual carb twin!
thats whay honda doesnt make it!

roostin_dale
07-12-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
[B]\The V-Force is perfect for what I need to do and I will be picking it up tomorrow. B]

Have fun with it!!

DESDAK4
07-12-2003, 04:07 AM
O I am sure I will have fun with it. I do want all you guys and gals to know I am not turning my back on Honda. I still will have my EX just waiting for the new Honda to come out. Enjoy the weekend.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

DaveEX7
07-12-2003, 04:35 AM
Have fun with her!

JabberJaw
07-12-2003, 05:38 AM
There is something fishy about your first sentence....

"Well guys and gals, my wife has got tired of the Trailblazer"

ok

"and wants to trade it off"

ok

"on a new quad"

uh huh

"and give her my EX."<---- this is the fishy part! :devil:

RED121572
07-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Read the latest issue of ATV Sport, that may help your decision. ;)

DESDAK4
07-12-2003, 01:19 PM
It is more like she likes the EX and hates the Trailblazer so basicly we are replacing the Trailblazer with something that is good for both of us and then when it is paid off MY EX will go towards a New Honda (whatever that may be). As for the V it is a great bike and it hauls. As you can see we picked it up today. So it is just more that she didn't want the Trailblazer around anymore. I hope it makes since now.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

KASCHAK
07-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Chef
Heh, I just dont feel that they are what they are cracked up to be. They dont have nearly the horsepower I thought they had, they dont seem like they handle real well, and a stock 400 with a DMC pulled holeshots on one. Now how much rider could it be, its basically just hold it WFO. No shifting. By calling something junk, I am not usually talking about mechanical issues, because I dont have a problem with most of them. I just am not impressed by most of the big fancy new quads like I was when the 400EX came out in 99. :macho :blah:

chef sorry but you need to get some facts. my cousin has one. we ride every day. and there are several predeters out there. and none of them have ever come close to beating him. hes not that experienced of a rider he just started about 2 years ago. and them things do eccelerate slow but once there moving a little bit you stab the gas and they haul as. its like the raptor with a pipe it adds 8 hp to the wheels. so everthing your hearing is deff wrong. the only weakness so far with jumping. the stock suspention is kinda carpy. it handles like it has power stearing.

id say if you want to go fast without shifting. good handling fair price he only paid 6700 for it. get the v-force. and its very very comfortable to ride.

crazybuffalo
07-12-2003, 05:05 PM
id go with the predator or the ds. that 700 seems too d*** heavy too me

DESDAK4
07-14-2003, 01:47 AM
See, the price really had a lot to do with it also. My dealer gave me 2200 for the Trailblazer (which I paid 3065 three years ago) and Kawi gives us military guys 250 off the top, so it ended up being a deal that was just to good to pass up.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Sparky416ex
07-14-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
It is more like she likes the EX and hates the Trailblazer so basicly we are replacing the Trailblazer with something that is good for both of us and then when it is paid off MY EX will go towards a New Honda (whatever that may be). As for the V it is a great bike and it hauls. As you can see we picked it up today. So it is just more that she didn't want the Trailblazer around anymore. I hope it makes since now.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

great decision, and as you know now, it does not feel like a "tank"
lol....i love those kfx's

im also glad to see you didnt buy another polaris,,,that trailblazer was enough huh?

lol jk guys

DESDAK4
07-14-2003, 05:01 AM
That Trailblazer never let me down but my wife just got to where she could ride better than it could handle. I had a Scrambler 400 a while back also but traded it for my EX for about the same reason. We both just love this V and no it does not handle like a tank, it is just a blast to ride and has tons of power.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

DaveEX7
07-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Watch now the wife will say that she wants the V-Force and you can have the EX back.:devil:

DESDAK4
07-16-2003, 01:41 AM
I wouldn't doubt that but, it's all good because the EX goes towards Hondas new quad not to long after it comes out:D

Jay
USAF
AMMO

DaveEX7
07-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Jay, how much are you gonna get for the EX?