PDA

View Full Version : 416 or stock bore???

tbyrd15
07-08-2003, 04:04 AM
what kind of a performance gain would i feel on my 400EX with:
JE, Wiesco, or Ross high compression piston(which one is better?)
hot cam(stage 1 or 2?)
port and polish
white brothers e-series slip-on
k&n airfitler
air box mods (a few 1 inch holes)
split fire plug
wb rev limiter

how much of a gain would i feel with these mods? i do not really want to go with a bore kit right know but i do like what i hear about the 416 kits, but i would like to keep it stock bore for now and see what a difference all of this makes, if anything at all, or would it just be better to go with the 416 kit and get the extra 16cc.

what do you all think??????

thanks for any info.

Colby@C&DRacing
07-08-2003, 04:40 AM
You will see a huge difference. the stock bore high comp pistons will give you pretty close power as to the 416 so if you don't need to freshen up the bore then stay stock. Don't use a wiseco piston, We only use JE or Ross

tbyrd15
07-08-2003, 06:21 AM
between the je and ross piston which is the better on? and what is wrong with the wiesco because i have heard other people say the same thing.

Steve-o 400EX
07-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Wiseco's claimed compression ratio's have not been what they said. It is also heavier than a Ross or JE. I have a JE and love it, but i did hear that the Ross is a Little bit lighter. Either one is a great piston. I would go with the stage 2 hotcam if your compression ratio is going to be greater than 10.5:1. I am runnin a strait pipe e-series slip on and it runs great but its on the loud side. I would go with a bore just because it will give you a little more bottom end and the pistons are the same price as stock bore. everything else on that list sounds good, if you get the rev box i would get valve springs with it because ur gunna be turnin a bit higher rpms than what the stockers are made for.

YZROOSTINYA
07-13-2003, 11:05 PM
Steve if your running with your lid off yo might want to bump tyhat main to a 158 or a 160.

My buddy runs his open and it is lean with a 155