PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stem Installation

Ryan300exRider
07-08-2003, 02:09 AM
Hey guys i just had to purchase a new steering stem for my 400ex and i was wondering how hard is it to install these things......I looked yesturday and theres alot of bolts is it as hard as it looks like just a process of unscrewing everything and then just screwing it back in or is it alot harder and should i get a mechanic to do it ...?:confused:

Ryan300exRider
07-08-2003, 02:39 AM
bump

Pappy
07-08-2003, 02:58 AM
its not a hard job....takes an hour at most with standard hand tools

Ben
07-08-2003, 03:04 AM
Very easy process! Go to ServiceHonda.com's parts schematics for the 400ex and pull up the steering stem page. It will show you all the parts and exactly how they fit together. Basically you just:

1. Take off your front plastic and gas tank cover.

2. Remove your handle bar from the steering stem (just leave the controls and levers attached to the handlebar).

3. Remove the cotter pin from the bottom of the steering stem, then the big nut on the bottom of the stem.

4. Then you remove the cotter pins and nuts from the two tie rod ends that attach to the steering stem. When removing these nuts you will need a thin hand wrench to hold the rectangular surface of the tie rod end bolt on the other side of the hole where it bolts onto the steering stem. If you don't hold this rectangular part of the tie rod end bolt, the bolt will just spin as you try to loosen the nut. I say to use a thin hand wrench on the rectangular surface because a wide wrench will possibly unseat the rubber boot on the tie rod end, ruining it.

5. Remove the clamp that holds the top of the steering stem to the frame.

6. Put the new stem in and do these steps in reverse, and you are done!

If you have any other question just ask here and we'll help you :D As far as the tools you'll need, nothing fancy, especially if you aren't replacing your steering stem bearing (goes in the frame, not on the actual stem). Good luck! :D

toby400ex
07-08-2003, 03:54 AM
takes me about 10 minutes these days, one handed now:huh

Ryan300exRider
07-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Thanks Guys

07-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Well it all seems simple but if its an aftermarket stem you might have to change your alignment. I've never been able to just slap a steering stem in and it be perfect..:mad:

JD400exrider
07-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Well it all seems simple but if its an aftermarket stem you might have to change your alignment. I've never been able to just slap a steering stem in and it be perfect..:mad:

I agree i had to adjust the tie rods a little. No biggy. Don't forget to freshin up the grease on the steering stem bushing under the clamp. ;)

07-09-2003, 01:55 PM
i changed mine out during a winter rebuild where i already had the plastics, bumper, tires, rims, and a arms off. Took 5 minutes :devil: