PDA

View Full Version : Hot Shocks!

deepcj7
07-07-2003, 05:24 PM
I run neoprene shock covers on my PEP ZPS fronts. For the first time, I felt my shocks and they were more than warm. I know heat is not good, would I be better off running shockwears for cooling purposes or nothing at all and have dirt beat up on the shaft seal? I'm trying to make the shocks last as long as possible between rebuilds. Thanks for your help.:confused:

CHAUNCY
07-07-2003, 07:10 PM
I think you should run shockwears. They arent neoprene are they ?:confused: I run them and have never had a problem with shocks rising in temperature and they protect the shocks from the elements which I really like:D

07-08-2003, 12:01 AM
they normally get pretty warm. I dont think its that big of a deal unless they were so hot u couldnt touch them

QuadTrix6
07-09-2003, 09:01 AM
keep the shockwears on, its ok if they heatup after a lot of riding, make sure that you didn't kink the rezzie line and youll be fine

norrisboat
07-09-2003, 10:34 AM
after a few laps my buddies pep's get so hot it almost feels like touching the engine.

It all depends on how hard you ride your quad and how much you make those shocks work. Im suprised they havent thought of putting heat sinks on the shock rezzies.

deepcj7
07-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Norrisboat, you bring up a good point. After my ride, I felt the rezzie and couldn't really tell a temp difference from ambient temp. Then I removed the neoprene shock cover and felt the top of the shock and it was considerably warm. That's what made me think that the covers were making my shocks heat up cause there was no air movement carrying the heat away. So should I switch to Shockwares? Any input? Thanks.:)

CHAUNCY
07-09-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by deepcj7
Norrisboat, you bring up a good point. After my ride, I felt the rezzie and couldn't really tell a temp difference from ambient temp. Then I removed the neoprene shock cover and felt the top of the shock and it was considerably warm. That's what made me think that the covers were making my shocks heat up cause there was no air movement carrying the heat away. So should I switch to Shockwares? Any input? Thanks.:)

I dont think you are hurting much, but I would make the switch just incase :ermm:

crap-banshee32
07-09-2003, 05:51 PM
never heard of that happening b4:huh

user101
07-10-2003, 04:59 AM
its normal. friction is everywhere.

QuadTrix6
07-10-2003, 10:31 AM
these shocks are moving constantly and are moving very fast of course they are gonna get hot, its not a big deal run the shockwears it will be ok ;)